2021-22 NOMINATIONS: "Cone of Shame"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
    The Timberwolves were eliminated from the playoffs last night, so no more protests during the nba season. Saw this though on twitter and thought I'd post it but wasn't sure where, so figured this would be as good place as any because it puts to shame any WSU on court promotion. Maybe WSU could do this as halftime entertainment :)

Low man wins.
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Comment

• Good find. Unreal to hear the abuse that officials take, at all levels. Higgins is an easy target, but has taken so much abuse despite being one of the best officials in college basketball.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Dirtbag coach and his son should be permanently banned from youth basketball. This crap would never have been tolerated even a few years ago.

Comment

• This is why we might not have all high school sports at some point either. Parents and fans are out of control. That, or we won't be able to watch our kids compete anymore.

Comment

• I'm not surprised. Higgins is one of the best, but there is a lot of entitlement not just with kids, but coaches and parents. And it's not all of them by any means, but there are enough. I haven't done MAYB in a number of years, and most teams were fine. But you can get a lot of this and it's true what they say in that players and fans will often take on the persona, to some degree, of the coach. So if the coach is being an ass and allows his kid to be an ass, it's going to be a miserable day.

Sadly, there were teams like this, to a lesser degree, when I was working at the Y. We had a low tolerance level there and there were a few games that would get out of hand because of poor behavior. My brother and I once worked a game where I think during one dead ball we gave out four T's to one team, mostly due to language. I've seen coaches cuss and rant on their way out of the gym after being ejected for being an ass. Saw a coach slam his crutches down because he didn't like something that was called. Seen a team walk off the court because they were losing once. Had a coach follow me and my partner into the locker room and launch a ball rack at us. Been in a tournament so bad once that we had given out about 12 T's by noon and started each game warning coaches about how short the leash was.

I kind of miss it. Not the bullshit stuff, but the officiating in general. But I get what it's hard to find young people who want to be put through that. It's definitely not for everyone.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I was at an AAU Tournament at the Wichita Sports Forum last week. My grandson wad splaying on a 16 & Under team. LIke Higgins I would not call this "high-level" play. Maybe "mid-level" although there was a couple high-level players but not many.

I volunteered to keep the stat sheet during one of he games so I was very close to the benches. The coach of one of the teams was the most foul-mouthed, disrespectful, arrogant a-holes I ever encountered. But it was noisy in the building with 6 games going on at once. I told my daughter that they clearly don't have a Code of Conduct for the coaches. I hope my grandson is never has to play for a coach like this. The guy who coached his freshman team in high school was a jerk but he was gentlemen compared to this guy.

Comment

• It is sad to see this stuff and it is definitely becoming more prevalent unfortunately. I can only imagine what it would have been like had Higgins not been there. Can you imagine his 15 year old son and his buddy having to deal with this and the nonsense? Crazy. I have coached my sons rec league team the last couple of year and he is only 10 but the behavior of a few of the coaches and parents is astounding even at that age. I put up with it and do it because I want my son and the other kids to enjoy the sport and I want to be an example of how to be a good sport and teammate but man it gets hard sometimes.

Comment

• I will also say that having two teens try and officiate other teens is probably not a good idea. They may simply have few options, but it is best to mix in young officials with older officials. One, it's a good way to help train a young official and two, an older official will generally not let things get too out of hand and can step in and restore order. When I started, I looked younger than I was and even had varsity officials joke that I looked like I was still in HS. They also warned me that because of that, I should expect coaches to try and take advantage of me. I'm thankful that my mentors were good about instilling the confidence to not allow that to happen, but it's easier as a young 20 something that looks 16 or whatever, compared to a kid that's actually 16 or so.

And not all outbursts are bad. People react emotionally at times in the heat of the moment, but the example given by Higgins goes well beyond that. I've had a number of coaches and kids apologize after the fact for their reactions/behavior. But you can generally tell the difference.

I may have to get back into shape and just try to do middle school and sub-varsity games to work with young officials again.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      I will also say that having two teens try and officiate other teens is probably not a good idea. They may simply have few options, but it is best to mix in young officials with older officials. One, it's a good way to help train a young official and two, an older official will generally not let things get too out of hand and can step in and restore order. When I started, I looked younger than I was and even had varsity officials joke that I looked like I was still in HS. They also warned me that because of that, I should expect coaches to try and take advantage of me. I'm thankful that my mentors were good about instilling the confidence to not allow that to happen, but it's easier as a young 20 something that looks 16 or whatever, compared to a kid that's actually 16 or so.

And not all outbursts are bad. People react emotionally at times in the heat of the moment, but the example given by Higgins goes well beyond that. I've had a number of coaches and kids apologize after the fact for their reactions/behavior. But you can generally tell the difference.

I may have to get back into shape and just try to do middle school and sub-varsity games to work with young officials again.
                      Sub,
                      Here's hoping you take the plunge and dive right back in. The shortage of officials is very real and prospects are not good for significantly increasing the count.
                      After 26 years of this advocation, I would like to say I've seen it all. But then every game has a story and manages to take the absurdity to the next level.
                      Agreed the parents/fans feed off a coaches antics. If allowed to fester, it will only get worse as the game continues.

Young officials have a tough time recognizing what is considered acceptable vs unacceptable behavior. You also have to throw in the feeling they need to let coaches do their thing so they are "liked" and accepted by them.

I taught classes in Ohio for the OHSAA for 8 years and enjoyed the teaching aspect of it. However, in the last few years, it became tiresome to constantly recruit new students and almost have to beg them to take the course. By the time COVID hit, it wasn't enjoyable and have not done it since.
                      The 80-85% attrition number JH mentioned is legit. Of the 150 officials who took my course, there are maybe 20-25 still working. Reasons vary from job changes, family commitment, but mostly coach/fan abuse.
                      The AAU stuff is the worst. I encouraged my new officials to work some of the games to pick up a few bucks, but mostly to work on their craft. I also worked quite a bit with my younger officials, doing exactly what John was doing with his son. I witnessed some of the worst behavior of grown adults - actually some of which is beyond description.
                      As officials, we have the tools to address unsportsmanlike behavior. Younger officials sometimes get frazzled by the emotion of a game and forget about these tools.

On several occasions, I've ejected the coach and even cleared out whole sections of fans. I quickly acquired a reputation of not taking any **** from coaches and word spread like wildfire.
                      On the HS level, I rarely have an issue with coaches. Even more so on the collegiate level (exception, JuCu coaches change on a regular basis and the new ones sometimes need an introduction).

I am very sympathetic to officials trying to work the summer AAU circuit. Most of the time the coaches are either parents (who are emotionally tied to the game) or guys who watch TV and think that's how they need to act. Most officials need to check out the tournament before accepting a game(s) and inquire about safety and how management will ensure their well being.

That is all.
                      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post

This is why we might not have all high school sports at some point either. Parents and fans are out of control. That, or we won't be able to watch our kids compete anymore.
                        While this situation concerned a player and coach, some high schools in other states have taken to scheduling the games on weekday mid-afternoons in order to make it less likely parents and fans can attend and cause problems.

Comment

• That coach that Higgins ejected was probably taking a picture of Higgins so he can show his barber how to cut his hair.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                            That coach that Higgins ejected was probably taking a picture of Higgins so he can show his barber how to cut his hair.
                            Good one….

Comment

• Parents are a pain at baseball games too - https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/stat...57850532073476

Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Coach, wife and son attack refs on the way out after youth rec game.

Comment

Working...
                                X