No announcement yet.

2021-22 NOMINATIONS: "Cone of Shame"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was never tossed from a game, and I don't recall ever receiving a T... but one of my favorite memories was when our coach got tossed. He complained to the ref about biased calls (we were on the road) and when he got the T, he told the ref, "That's the first good call you've made all night!" Immediate second T, and it was VERY hard not to burst out laughing!

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
      I was never tossed from a game, and I don't recall ever receiving a T... but one of my favorite memories was when our coach got tossed. He complained to the ref about biased calls (we were on the road) and when he got the T, he told the ref, "That's the first good call you've made all night!" Immediate second T, and it was VERY hard not to burst out laughing!
      The Mrs. is a former college player and coached middle-school girls basketball (where 25-30 turnovers per game was the norm). She used the exact same comment in a tournament game and immediately got tossed early in the second (at the time, they were down by 20)… off to the showers she went with many of her team crying. Her best player (later played D-II) went on a scoring spree and they got the game to overtime and ended up winning.

They were the better team talent-wise and the ‘technical’ energized the team and completely changed the momentum. It’s been many years ago, but I recall the star player making 5-6 threes in the 4th quarter; she was hotter than a two-dollar pistol.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Auburn Tigers men's basketball placed on 4 years' probation; coach Bruce Pearl suspended 2 games - ESPN
        Auburn's men's basketball program was placed on four years' probation and coach Bruce Pearl was suspended for two games after he failed to adequately monitor former assistant coach Chuck Person and did not promote an atmosphere of compliance.

Mark Schlabach. Senior Writer
        12/10/21, 11:23 AM CT

"The NCAA Committee on Infractions on Friday placed the Auburn men's basketball program on four years' probation and suspended coach Bruce Pearl for two games after saying he failed to adequately monitor former assistant coach Chuck Person and did not promote an atmosphere of compliance...."

How many times are they going to let Bruce get caught with his hand in the cookie jar?

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
          Auburn Tigers men's basketball placed on 4 years' probation; coach Bruce Pearl suspended 2 games - ESPN
          Auburn's men's basketball program was placed on four years' probation and coach Bruce Pearl was suspended for two games after he failed to adequately monitor former assistant coach Chuck Person and did not promote an atmosphere of compliance.

Mark Schlabach. Senior Writer
          12/10/21, 11:23 AM CT

"The NCAA Committee on Infractions on Friday placed the Auburn men's basketball program on four years' probation and suspended coach Bruce Pearl for two games after saying he failed to adequately monitor former assistant coach Chuck Person and did not promote an atmosphere of compliance...."

How many times are they going to let Bruce get caught with his hand in the cookie jar?
          I wonder if this makes Dollar Bill a little nervous or does he just have better representation?

Comment

Since Bill "the Rug" Self has no previous violations (except for those multiple infractions while already on probation, but those don't count because - well, KU), KU is likely to get two weeks of probation in a non-recruiting period and Bill is likely to be told "Don't let us catch you doing that again - more than 13 or 14 times a year".

After all, the NCAA has to give KU a chance to have a competitive team with some bench depth.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post

I wonder if this makes Dollar Bill a little nervous or does he just have better representation?
              Well, he's set himself up with a couple aces up his sleeve: 1) KU can't fire him for any NCAA penalties and 2) he could almost immediately jump to an NBA job.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Bill Snyder designed it?

It honestly weakens the brand substantially to sell the rights to use the logo to high schools. I'm surprised they do that.
                There’s a high school in Missouri (I think) called the Shockers. They use Wu but without the letters on his sweater.

Comment

Originally posted by Fake Gregg Marshall View Post

There’s a high school in Missouri (I think) called the Shockers. They use Wu but without the letters on his sweater.
                  You know what they say about mascots with big noses.
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

You know what they say about mascots with big noses.
                    They use more Kleenex?
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• "Georgia Southern beat Carver College 133-15 on Monday, the second-largest margin of victory in women's Division I history...."

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

The Mrs. is a former college player and coached middle-school girls basketball (where 25-30 turnovers per game was the norm). She used the exact same comment in a tournament game and immediately got tossed early in the second (at the time, they were down by 20)… off to the showers she went with many of her team crying. Her best player (later played D-II) went on a scoring spree and they got the game to overtime and ended up winning.

They were the better team talent-wise and the ‘technical’ energized the team and completely changed the momentum. It’s been many years ago, but I recall the star player making 5-6 threes in the 4th quarter; she was hotter than a two-dollar pistol.

Since we are walking down memory road, i once had a pair of refs out west in the state who actually were from around the Hutch area...had them a lot ...one might have been the best ref I've ever had and we often lost so it was not because we won with him...but the other guy...clown show....totally theatrical for the home team(even at our place)....so he made a travelling call on one of our players(correct call) but proceeded to three step skip down the court with an exaggerated travelling motion....I yelled to him...."not one person here paid to see your clown show...you are not the game...." yeah, I got a T there and a few laughs from my players.....don't miss those days at all....reffing is an impossible job, but it's not Broadway....

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Since we are walking down memory road, i once had a pair of refs out west in the state who actually were from around the Hutch area...had them a lot ...one might have been the best ref I've ever had and we often lost so it was not because we won with him...but the other guy...clown show....totally theatrical for the home team(even at our place)....so he made a travelling call on one of our players(correct call) but proceeded to three step skip down the court with an exaggerated travelling motion....I yelled to him...."not one person here paid to see your clown show...you are not the game...." yeah, I got a T there and a few laughs from my players.....don't miss those days at all....reffing is an impossible job, but it's not Broadway....
                          In the leagues I worked in, mostly around the metro, the assigners and evaluators would have never allowed that. Maybe that was the reason he was working out west. I know there were always fewer officials out that way and sometimes schools would pay you more for the travel but I never participated. I've never understood refs like that. I'd worked with some older guys, one in particular, who was overly vocal and annoyed people, but that wasn't nearly as ridiculous as what you just described. His partner probably agreed with your statement, even if it did deserve a T.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• One name...Ed Hightower.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

In the leagues I worked in, mostly around the metro, the assigners and evaluators would have never allowed that. Maybe that was the reason he was working out west. I know there were always fewer officials out that way and sometimes schools would pay you more for the travel but I never participated. I've never understood refs like that. I'd worked with some older guys, one in particular, who was overly vocal and annoyed people, but that wasn't nearly as ridiculous as what you just described. His partner probably agreed with your statement, even if it did deserve a T.
                              actually, an addendum....while the circus performer was giving the details to the official scorer, I said to his partner(only two refs in the day) 'Why do you work with this guy? You are so much above him!" He kind of chuckled....not sure what that meant...

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

actually, an addendum....while the circus performer was giving the details to the official scorer, I said to his partner(only two refs in the day) 'Why do you work with this guy? You are so much above him!" He kind of chuckled....not sure what that meant...
                                That's the diplomatic way an official may agree with you without throwing a partner completely under the bus. I've worked with officials who simply were not good and/or over their heads but you're a team and have to try.

My first mentor in officiating once told us that silence can't be quoted. I took that to heart in being very careful about what you do and say with a coach. Now, if an evaluator/assigner had asked me about my views on certain officials, I'd be 100% honest. But when it comes to coaches and players you have to be careful.

So to come full circle, that was his way of saying you're right. Most likely.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X