• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed Scrimmage - Texas Tech vs WSU

Results from the closed scrimmage against Texas Tech

Half Court Segment - WSU wins 18-12
    Half Court 20 minutes #1 Texas Tech destroys WSU 52-28
    Half Court 20 minutes #2 WSU wins 33-31

T. Etienne 20 points (6 for 13, 4 of 8 3pt)
    Ricky Council 12 points, 6 rbds

Morris Udeze did not play - shoulder
    Chaunce Jenkins did not play - banged up

hat tip to Taylor Eldridge for reporting the details

Wonder who Tech played in the 2nd segment?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Wonder who Tech played in the 2nd segment?
      According to Taylor, WSU played the whole team for the first segment. 2nd Segment cut down the rotation.

Comment

Tech was without 2 starters as well, McCullar and TJ Shannon.

Comment

Guess we’re still using the Shocker Madness defensive sets in the preseason.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The “ballers just balling” philosophy only works with a bunch of 4 and 5 star athletes. I hope there is some more organization to the offense this year or we’re gonna be in trouble.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Udeze not playing is a significant hole we really can’t patch, so keep that in mind.

Comment

Wasn't it the shoulder Udeze had a problem with a couple of years ago?

Comment

I’m guessing we used the whole team first full scrimmage to see who’s ready for prime time. Looks like some of the young guys still not ready.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                    Results from the closed scrimmage against Texas Tech

Half Court Segment - WSU wins 18-12
                    Half Court 20 minutes #1 Texas Tech destroys WSU 52-28
                    Half Court 20 minutes #2 WSU wins 33-31

T. Etienne 20 points (6 for 13, 4 of 8 3pt)
                    Ricky Council 12 points, 6 rbds

Morris Udeze did not play - shoulder
                    Chaunce Jenkins did not play - banged up

hat tip to Taylor Eldridge for reporting the details
                    So they did not play any full court? Or were those 20 minutes segments full court?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

So they did not play any full court? Or were those 20 minutes segments full court?
                      The 20 minute segments were full court scrimmages.
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        Guess we’re still using the Shocker Madness defensive sets in the preseason.
                        I was surprised at the perfunctory level of defense played at Shocker Madness. Except for the cursory attempt at a hand up from 3 feet away, I did not see much defense.

Comment

The most disturbing part of Taylor's write up was"the Shockers built a sizeable lead and then hung on in the end". Happened far too frequently last year.
                          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            The “ballers just balling” philosophy only works with a bunch of 4 and 5 star athletes. I hope there is some more organization to the offense this year or we’re gonna be in trouble.
                            Are you really going to start this year old schtick again this year. What exactly is it that was quoted galls you so much? Is it the lack of an emphasis on defense that you feel this statement implies. Do you feel that more set plays should be run in the half court? To me the quote implies more of an uptempo game starting with a quick outlet pass to create a breaking opportunity and or even a secondary break opportunity instead of slowly bringing the ball up going to a series of set plays. The shortened shot clock has eliminated many sets because most young men can play defense for 20 some odd seconds to force a long three. WSU has not averaged a top 100 ranking for possessions per game in the last several years. The game itself is changing to more of a style of the NBA where you have one person dribble penetrate and then kick it out for a three. Not a style I like but I am thinking we will see more of this from all levels. As far as ballers ballin will only work with 4 and five star athletes last years abbreviated season the Shocks were still able to finish first even if they didn't have to play some top teams in the AAC. Give it a chance to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post

Are you really going to start this year old schtick again this year. What exactly is it that was quoted galls you so much? Is it the lack of an emphasis on defense that you feel this statement implies. Do you feel that more set plays should be run in the half court? To me the quote implies more of an uptempo game starting with a quick outlet pass to create a breaking opportunity and or even a secondary break opportunity instead of slowly bringing the ball up going to a series of set plays. The shortened shot clock has eliminated many sets because most young men can play defense for 20 some odd seconds to force a long three. WSU has not averaged a top 100 ranking for possessions per game in the last several years. The game itself is changing to more of a style of the NBA where you have one person dribble penetrate and then kick it out for a three. Not a style I like but I am thinking we will see more of this from all levels. As far as ballers ballin will only work with 4 and five star athletes last years abbreviated season the Shocks were still able to finish first even if they didn't have to play some top teams in the AAC. Give it a chance to develop.
                              It’s a sarcastic callback to Rashard Kellys criticism of Marshalls coaching style. It’s a reference to lazy defense and run and gun, undisciplined offense. The Mantra of this program used to be MTXE. “Letting dawgs be dawgs” embodies NONE of the MTXE that built this program, and instead embodies the growing trend of discipline being bad.
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                              X