Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Shocker Madness (Thoughts, Analysis, & Impressions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Previously Jody Adams generally carried a roster of 11 to 12 players with very little, if any, foreign recruits. She told me once it was just too hard to keep 15 players happy.
    Evidently it was pretty hard for Adams to keep more than one or two happy. Wasn't her strong suit.

Comment

goshockers.com recap:

Comment

Nobody showed much D, but what we saw on the other side of the ball makes it look like the perimeter players with the most potential are Etienne, Council, and Dennis.

Comment

The Spirit Squad looked pretty good. There was one on the east side who looked to have potential on "So You Think You Can Dance". I wanted to go tell them how good they looked, but was pretty certain that would only make me look like a creepy old guy.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
            Not worth the gas it took to get there. 10 minutes of street ball wasn't what I was looking forward to.I'd say there were 2,500 to 3,000.

Dennis showed some moves to the hoop. Pohto is going to be matchup problem with his shooting range. He had one nice move to the basket. Good coordination for a guy his size and age.

Women had no offense. Men played no defense. Every once in a while they played some half court D, but pretty much no effort at all to stop transition buckets.

Porter appeared to be "present". That's about all I saw out of him. Council is going to be hard to keep off the court. Etienne pretty much let everybody else do their thing instead of him showing what he could do. Looks like Jackson worked on his shot from 3. He seemed to be hitting pretty well from deep in warmups and in what there was of a scrimmage. Ricks and Jenkins look likely to take over some deep spots on the sideline chairs.

If what we saw tonight is any indication of what we're going to see during the season, there's going to be lots of guys going to the basket with the ball. Impossible to tell anything about rebounding improvement. Grant looked like he belonged on the court with the veterans.
            Street ball is exactly what I expected, andyour synopsis is. Good one. They can’t play an offense, because the defense knows when an entry pass is coming so they cut off the wings. Some selfish play but none from TE and several other players didn’t even look to score. Good team athleticism. Ricky and Dexter probably tried to do the most with the ball, but they probably tone down the individual play when it counts. Ricky has a penchant for the show stopping play more than others, but we will see if he gives the same effort to “get down and dirty” by making defensive plays and rebounding when it counts.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
                The Spirit Squad looked pretty good. There was one on the east side who looked to have potential on "So You Think You Can Dance". I wanted to go tell them how good they looked, but was pretty certain that would only make me look like a creepy old guy.
                No picture of the Masked up coeds to go along with your creepy post? Nothing like a mask to bring out the attractiveness of the female.

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

https://twitter.com/tayloreldridge/s...ly5qPXe8Q&s=19
                  That was impressive last night, considering they had already practiced for 2 hours before. They said Kenny Pohto won the 3 point shooting contest. Did they say who won the free throw shooting contest?

Comment

Only saw a couple of short film clips and in just those short clips I saw some very
                    sloppy passes, no post up type of offense although Mo was not out there, and little D.
                    I do think Photo will play maybe even as a stretch four.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                      Only saw a couple of short film clips and in just those short clips I saw some very
                      sloppy passes, no post up type of offense although Mo was not out there, and little D.
                      I do think Photo will play maybe even as a stretch four.
                      Welcome to almost every Shocker Madness in the past.

Comment

The one thing I have learned form this event over the years is that I can't read a whole lot into how the team will perform from what I see at Shocker Madness. Sometimes it might be WYSIWYG but not very often.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

No picture of the Masked up coeds to go along with your creepy post? Nothing like a mask to bring out the attractiveness of the female.
                          My daughter is hoping they won't have to wear them for ever. The University isn't requiring it. Must be the athletic department or coaches....etc.
                          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

https://twitter.com/tayloreldridge/s...ly5qPXe8Q&s=19
                            All of the media interviews after Madness centered around the athleticism and how they need to use their speed to push it upcourt. I don't disagree with this at all. However, I nothing was said about improving their rebounding by having all 5 players involved in the rebounding part of the game. Rebounding and defense will be more of a factor on how good we are this year. I hope that Taylor and the other media watch rebounding carefully during our closed scrimmage with Texas Tech because if our players are so focused so much on our speed, and our fastbreak dunks/alleyoops, etc. that they don't send 5 players to the boards, we won't be as good as we can be. This has to be be emphasized everyday. Once the rebound is secured, then you fill up the lanes, and transition to offense, and not before. I will be watching during their first games, and see if anyone is not aggressively pursuing the rebound, and possibly hanging back so they can transition to offense (too early).

Comment

Based on what I saw at Shocker Madness…

-We should be an improved shooting team
                              -Grant and Pleasant will contribute something from day 1
                              -Transition D, a problem last year, needs a lot of work
                              -We have a lot of length of and athleticism
                              -I didn’t see enough to comment on rebounding one way or another

I’m don’t put much stock in what I saw last night but I came away both slightly optimistic and with a sense of dread. It will be interesting to hear the reports from the closed scrimmage with Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I for one find intelligence very attractive...

As for you dragging your Covidiocy into the basketball forum... just don't.

Comment

Working...
                                X