No announcement yet.

Gal Mekel player of the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To prove I am no troll, as claimed by other SNers, I would like to congratulate Gal on his solid outing. Do it a couple more times and I might start believing. I might even buy his next meal at the Scotch. Congrats to Gal. Keep it up.

Comment

I decided to make this a separate post. I am going to offer a hypothesis; as in a scientific experiment, the actual results will determine the validity of the hypothesis.

Hypothesis: Having Gal as starting point guard will force WSU to be more aggressive on offense and force players to look for and be ready for the tough pass which could lead to an easy basket.

In a certain way, Matt is kind of laid back as point guard. Matt made some nice lobs for dunks on occasion and he is very steady. He does not usually try for difficult but possibly risky passes which might be picked off but also might result in easy baskets. This is just a general comment because Matt did sometimes make great passes for easy baskets. However the other players did not expect "tricky" passes and were not looking for them with Matt as the starter.

Let me give an example contrasting Matt and Gal. In the last few games he played in, Matt got several backdoor layups because of passes by Gal. How many backdoor layups did Gal get from Matt? (I don't know the answer but I don't remember any at the moment.) In the BU game, PJ got at least one such layup from Gal (and the BU board has posts complaining about their failure to prevent backdoor plays). This started me thinking that maybe players would start looking for tough passes now that Gal is the point guard.

If Gal can show passing flair while avoiding turnovers, the team would be much better. When the outside shots are not falling, good interior passes (or crisp perimeter passes like in the BU game) from Gal might keep us in the game. If Gal carefully selects the passes and has success getting PJ or Phil or RC or JT the ball in scoring position, I think Gregg Marshall will give him the freedom to develop into our own "John Stockton." If he turns over the ball too often, Marshall will reign him in. I don't know if Gal will be mature enough but I hope he is because the team has the potential to be much better and to have extra options when we get into a shooting slump (like we were until the BU game).
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by tolduso
        Do it a couple more times and I might start believing. I might even buy his next meal at the Scotch. Congrats to Gal. Keep it up.
        And get Gal and WSU into trouble with the NCAA? No thanks. :lol:
        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

That would get Gal in trouble? He's already recruited....

Hmm....

Any rules on students buying a friend a meal?If so, I'd love to take Gal to the Scotch and Sirloin on your dime, tolduso....
          Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
          Students > Alumni
          If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
          The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

Originally posted by fastbow

Hmm....

Any rules on students buying a friend a meal?If so, I'd love to take Gal to the Scotch and Sirloin on your dime, tolduso....
            Student-athletes cannot receive benefits, other than NCAA sanctioned benefits like tuition, room & board, etc., because they play for a school. If PJ took an anthropology course in which all students went to South America, then PJ could also go to South America because he was enrolled in that class (and not because he played for WSU). The Athletics Department can advise fans if there are questions. (KU is an exception; they can pay players or former players and not get into serious trouble.)

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
              Originally posted by RipEmUpShox
              WHERE YOU AT SHOCKERFEVER?????

u got plenty of time to drop like 15 posts ripping on gal but cant say anything here!?
              Busy with your momma.
              Yea shes prolly teaching you a lesson.

Nothing good to say about gal?

classless.
              "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
              CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
                Originally posted by fastbow

Hmm....

Student-athletes cannot receive benefits, other than NCAA sanctioned benefits like tuition, room & board, etc., because they play for a school. If PJ took an anthropology course in which all students went to South America, then PJ could also go to South America because he was enrolled in that class (and not because he played for WSU). The Athletics Department can advise fans if there are questions. (KU is an exception; they can pay players or former players and not get into serious trouble.)
                O O dont forget UNC and TEXAS... lol
                "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

u got plenty of time to drop like 15 posts ripping on gal but cant say anything here!?
                  Busy with your momma.

classless.
                  Yep nothing at all..

I was unable to watch the game last night because of work. You'll notice a trend this year of me not being able to post on Saturday nights win or lose. So please, please don't go there.

Gal had a great game. All I want is consistency. Again I can't comment too much because I was unable to watch the game and I forgot to tape it.
                  You're even more of a delusional idiot than I thought.

Go fly away in your cape.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Busy with your momma.

classless.
                    Please read his posts before making yourself look like a fool....
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I, naturally did not see the game, but it sounds to me like Paul S. pretty damn well summed it up when he wrote:

"Mekel made 10 of 13 free throws Saturday and almost single-handedly held off Bradley in the final minutes.

That would be a good night at the line for most players. Not Mekel, who entered the game 27 of 28 from the line, tops in the Missouri Valley Conference at 96.4 percent. His percentage dropped to 90.2.

"For me, three misses is not really a good job," Mekel said. "I'm happy that in the end, in clutch time, they went in."

Mekel made 5 of 6 in the final 1:13. He swished both to give WSU a 73-69 lead. He survived a mugging by Bradley's Sam Maniscalco to hit two more with 41.4 seconds to play for a 77-71 lead. Seconds later, he made the second of two for a 78-71 lead."

End of story!

Comment

Busy with your momma.
                        Alright, I understand where Shockerfever is coming from now. Guys, leave him alone. He's only in the 4th grade.
                        Who is Ryan Clemente?

Comment

This is an internet message board not the literary circle at the coffee shop.

I always love those comments in a message board. The only reading many posters do is right here.

I thought Shock Fever's response was a cogent, well informed, thoughtful response.

Comment

Working...
                          X