Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Black and Yellow is at the Train Station: Next Stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Long answer: WSU is a full member of the AAC, just without football. Navy is an affiliate member, football only. While football drives the realignment bus, as far as conference membership, where a school's Olympic sports reside is considered their "home" conference. Navy is a member of the Patriot League, they just shack up with the American during football season.

Short answer: No, Navy's status does not impact us.
    Thanks for the clarification, R?MS,

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      I wonder how many people watch Ted Lasso?

I think Jason Sudeikis should start a GoFundMe to bring back football at WSU.

He could name the field....Ted Lasso Field.

If we don't start football, it goes to the charity of his choosing.

Could he have 10 million fans?

$10 each. That's $100 million. Good seed money to convince others to give (and pass star bonds to build a stadium).

$500 gets your name on a brick in the new stadium.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

$10 each. That's $100 million. Good seed money to convince others to give (and pass star bonds to build a stadium).

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

No joke, Jason Sudeikis would never have to buy a meal in Wichita if he did something like that.
          Last edited by Kel Varnsen; September 21, 2021, 01:17 PM.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
            America's Team!
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

No joke, Jason Sudeikis would never have to buy a meal in Wichita if he did something like that.
              Hell, we could even make him the coach.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                Maybe I am being concerned about nothing, but how does our agreement with the American Conference read? Is it anyway dependent on what Navy does? Because we do not play football and Navy does not play Basketball, could we be dropped/voted out, if Navy left?
                Wasn't sure where to post this since I think it's been talked about in some different threads, but a recent open records request asked for

"the records of the contract between the American Athletic Conference and Wichita State University signed in the summer of 2017 with details of the revenue split agreement for WSU"

The request and the multi-page pdf with some numbers can be found at https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...og/entry/1894/
                Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

Wasn't sure where to post this since I think it's been talked about in some different threads, but a recent open records request asked for

"the records of the contract between the American Athletic Conference and Wichita State University signed in the summer of 2017 with details of the revenue split agreement for WSU"

The request and the multi-page pdf with some numbers can be found at https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...og/entry/1894/
                  Interesting. There must be an updated one after the new tv contract. Per that we got zero in the first 3 years then only get 250k a year after that. Also says we do not share in any other revenue besides tourney credits. So no media payment or exit fees.

Also of note, our exit fee is 5 mil

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Interesting. There must be an updated one after the new tv contract. Per that we got zero in the first 3 years then only get 250k a year after that. Also says we do not share in any other revenue besides tourney credits. So no media payment or exit fees.

I know we sacrificed some share of the initial deal when we joined and I believe that may have also been part of our entrance fee if I remember correctly. I admit, I only skimmed the PDF but I also noticed the 5M exit fee. I don't think we're looking at exercising that anytime soon but it's good to know.

It would be interesting to know exactly how the current TV deal relates to us. I've been told before that we get 30% of a share and Navy gets 70%, but I'm not sure if that information came from actual facts or assumed because that's generally how the TV deals split football with the rest. I work under the assumption that we're getting 2.1M from the current media payouts.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I know we sacrificed some share of the initial deal when we joined and I believe that may have also been part of our entrance fee if I remember correctly. I admit, I only skimmed the PDF but I also noticed the 5M exit fee. I don't think we're looking at exercising that anytime soon but it's good to know.

It would be interesting to know exactly how the current TV deal relates to us. I've been told before that we get 30% of a share and Navy gets 70%, but I'm not sure if that information came from actual facts or assumed because that's generally how the TV deals split football with the rest. I work under the assumption that we're getting 2.1M from the current media payouts.
                      Yes, that was my understanding too. It's not in that contract, but does state that the terms of media payout can be negotiated during the 2019-2020 tv renewal.

The no exit fees things is intriguing though. If that's for 5 years .. i wonder if we will get a cut of the UH/UC/UCF fees or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I looked through the log for something regarding an updated tv contract but didn't see anything. There are some related to media rights, but they mainly have to do with CBS.

You might check with Taylor Eldridge via twitter since he did the request. It didn't appear in the log until today - I wish they had a column that showed the closure date because it tends to be several days after the entry date they show - so I imagine he may be working on an article related to it and if so, hopefully he has information about the new tv contract or can put in a request for that as well.

Comment

Also, here's a little bit about the ESPN deal from a Wichita Eagle article in March 2019 - https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...228605334.html - you may need to do the incognito or private window stuff to view it:

The American Athletic Conference announced Wednesday that it reached a 12-year media rights extension with ESPN, beginning in the 2020-21 season.

Financial terms were not disclosed, but the Sports Business Journal reported last week the deal was for $1 billion. The report states that each AAC school will receive a nearly $5 million bump in annual revenue, up to $6.9 million.

Wichita State is not receiving a cut of the current AAC media rights deal because it was not a member of the conference when it was negotiated. It is unclear the exact amount WSU, a non-football member, will receive on an annual basis starting in 2020-21, but AAC commissioner Mike Aresco told The Eagle it will be a significant bump from what it was receiving as a member of the Missouri Valley Conference.

In its last four years in the Missouri Valley, WSU reported an annual average of $370,335 in media rights revenue.

Comment

Here's one other piece of information which gives some idea of possible conference revenue. On the Go Shockers web site they put link to various financial documents - https://goshockers.com/sports/2015/5...formation.aspx - and they have documents up through 2020. A good one to look at is the last link on the page under NCAA Membership Financial Reporting System - FY20. It breaks down revenue and if you look on page 6 of the document - https://goshockers.com/documents/202...0.pdf?id=16070 - it has revenue from Media Rights, NCAA Distributions, and Conference Distributions.

Comment

It was my understanding that we were using conference distributions to pay our entrance fees. If not, that's probably why the BOR freaked out and is now making it mandatory that they approve conference moves.
                              "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

True story: Sudeikis played basketball at then Levitt Arena in the state HS tournament. His SM West team was obliterated by Steve Eck’s South high team who had Darrin Williams and Joey Blue on its roster.

Pretty sure I was at that game.
                                Last edited by shoxlax; September 23, 2021, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X