supreme court ruling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supreme court ruling

any random thoughts? i’m interested to hear others take on this..

The Shawne Alston case challenged the NCAA's ability to put national limits on benefits collegiate athletes could receive related to education.

F’n lawyers. This is just going increase the distance between the large conferences and the mid to small conferences. Destroying college sports in my opinion.

Comment

This ruling allows schools to give more educational assistance than the NCAA allowed. Big change will be name, image and likeness rules, but where will that money come from. Say a business allocates $50,000 a year to buying tickets, advertising and donating to WSU athletics. Are they going to increase their allocation to $60,000 to pay $10,000 to an athlete to be a spokesman or are they going to take $10,000 out of the $50,000 and have an athlete be a spokesman for their business? This is just an example(the numbers are made up), but it is a decision that businesses are going to have to make. Athletic departments and athletes will be in competition for the same advertising dollars. Now if you have a very large, very prosperous local business who wants to help the local school recruit the best players. That could be a game changer.

Comment

This is why KU gave Self the contract.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I personally love it - it's been a long time overdue.

Comment

So does this ruling make the NCAA investigations moot?
            Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
              So does this ruling make the NCAA investigations moot?
              No, the actual ruling has nothing to do with NIL payments or direct payments to players. The judges comments went on a tangent but the actual case was only about limiting educational benefits. The conversations around NIL and Direct Payments are coming though.

We are about to turn college into the the "pro" leagues without all the pieces of the pro leagues that make it work (Equal distribution of revenue, salary caps etc). That combined with free transfers will create a free agency where you not only have to compete on status but on actual bidding also.

To be clear ... i think the players should get a cut of the billions that are raked in. I just think there has to be some very strict rules on what that means. The gap between the richest and poorest schools in D1 is astronomical compared to other leagues that pay players.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

No, the actual ruling has nothing to do with NIL payments or direct payments to players. The judges comments went on a tangent but the actual case was only about limiting educational benefits. The conversations around NIL and Direct Payments are coming though.

We are about to turn college into the the "pro" leagues without all the pieces of the pro leagues that make it work (Equal distribution of revenue, salary caps etc). That combined with free transfers will create a free agency where you not only have to compete on status but on actual bidding also.

To be clear ... i think the players should get a cut of the billions that are raked in. I just think there has to be some very strict rules on what that means. The gap between the richest and poorest schools in D1 is astronomical compared to other leagues that pay players.
                Where does title IX fit into all of this? The institution can’t give the star PG additional education benefits, and not give them to the backup PG on the women’s team.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Where does title IX fit into all of this? The institution can’t give the star PG additional education benefits, and not give them to the backup PG on the women’s team.
                  Yes. There are a lot of unanswered questions on where other non money making sports fit into this picture. Football makes a lot of money for a few schools. Basketball makes less money for more schools but not all schools. Where does softball, girls basketball, boys and girls T/F, Swimming, Wrestling, etc. Some schools will have plenty of money to fund all of these programs. Other P5 schools like KSU, Iowa State, etc. might struggle. There are virtually (almost zero anyway) no girls sports that make money.

Comment

The basketball and football programs are really the only money makers, and that's not at every school. This is such a touchy subject because all the athletes think they deserve more money. Once the "billions" are shared, it doesn't amount to a lot of extra money per player. I'd like to see the real math behind it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      The basketball and football programs are really the only money makers, and that's not at every school. This is such a touchy subject because all the athletes think they deserve more money. Once the "billions" are shared, it doesn't amount to a lot of extra money per player. I'd like to see the real math behind it all.
                      Yes, and I saw on the news a witness that was being interviewed by the SCOTUS on this case who was a woman. They must have included many athletes of non-money making sports as witness'. The witness I saw was talking about their time commitment to their sport as though they were part of the sports who were making millions and paying coaches millions. Not realistic most places.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Good Question .. I didn't mention it in my post, but that's exactly what will happen. I would also expect lots of schools to cut sports in order to focus on the big sports. Overall I think there will way more unintended consequences than there will be intended benefits.

Comment

Can I get an FVV bobblehead in a Shox jersey now?!!?
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Yes, and I saw on the news a witness that was being interviewed by the SCOTUS on this case who was a woman. They must have included many athletes of non-money making sports as witness'. The witness I saw was talking about their time commitment to their sport as though they were part of the sports who were making millions and paying coaches millions. Not realistic most places.
                            I think everyone knows that college athletes have to budget a tremendous amount of time to their sport - far more time than they budget for school. Their "salary" is the $40-$100k a year they get in room/tuition/food/training/healthcare, etc. The thing is, it's a choice. Kids don't have to compete for college athletic scholarships. They can go as a regular student and/or try to go pro without the college training. I personally think there's probably more money available to dole out, but at what point do you satisfy everyone? The most visible/famous college athletes will never be satisfied.

Comment

Cluster**** comes to mind…
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                              X