No announcement yet.

2021 TBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How freakin fun that has to be for all the teams involved. Goodness.
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• I think Elam could be used for overtones. Or maybe the second overtime

Comment

• Originally posted by Fake Gregg Marshall View Post

Idk, man. You’ll never see “5 seconds on the clock, one shot to make or break your season” ever again. The stakes don’t get higher than that. The Elam Ending isn’t worth giving up watching the ball in the air as the buzzer sounds, and whether you win or lose is up to the next 0.5 seconds. It may not come as often, but I’ll never be willing to give those moments up.
        you literally get that every game with the ELAM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
          I think Elam could be used for overtones. Or maybe the second overtime
          That's actually a pretty good idea.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I've been trying to find any flaws in the Elam Ending. Thus far I like it a lot. The one possible weakness might be that the best team is more prone to be upset. Fair question to all, if the Shocks are playing in March Madness, would you prefer Elam or traditional games?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
              I've been trying to find any flaws in the Elam Ending. Thus far I like it a lot. The one possible weakness might be that the best team is more prone to be upset. Fair question to all, if the Shocks are playing in March Madness, would you prefer Elam or traditional games?
              I get that point; however if they're losing by that much come the Elam ending they're probably not going to come back anyways. If it's close - the 8 points shouldn't be a huge deal if they are much better.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                I think Elam could be used for overtones. Or maybe the second overtime
                I really like this compromise .. Limits it to a FOR SURE one overtime. Might be a good test option.

one other benefit that could drive adoption of Elam .. Timeboxing .. games are MUCH less likely to run over allocated TV time in an Elam game than a standard game. TV would probably love that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post

I get that point; however if they're losing by that much come the Elam ending they're probably not going to come back anyways. If it's close - the 8 points shouldn't be a huge deal if they are much better.
                  And if a team comes back from a huge deficit in the Elam .. that ends up being a great game from a game that likely would have ending in a very boring fashion otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Of course it’s going to come down to personal opinion. I’ve experienced several buzzer beaters in Koch arena as I’m sure you have. The end of the game Sunday and especially the end of the game Tuesday was as exciting and crazy as any buzzer beater I’ve experienced. Or at least very very close.

And that was for a TBT game in the middle of July.

It’s not hard to imagine an increased excitement level with increased stakes (conference rivalry, NCAA game, sell out crowd, etc).

Again, not saying it should absolutely be adapted everywhere but I do think it makes for a more enjoyable game beginning to end (free throws are boring!!) and still allows for wild, buzzer beater like finishes.
                    The Elam Ending would be a nightmare for the statistics buffs. You would never know how long a game would last unless you kept a separate timer. So no more "Per 40 minute" statistics or any other statistics requiring time.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

The Elam Ending would be a nightmare for the statistics buffs. You would never know how long a game would last unless you kept a separate timer. So no more "Per 40 minute" statistics or any other statistics requiring time.
                      Wouldn't they be tracking by minutes played anyways? So they would have the source data. They can still extrapolate out to whatever "per" stat they want. Point of per 40 stats anyways is to try to normalize stats based on minutes played. So it would still work exactly how it does now.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

you literally get that every game with the ELAM.
                        No.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I could see it being used in NIT or during the regular season.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I wouldn't want to see it in regulation anywhere but TBT.

BUT, I think there's a serious case to be made for some kind of overtime application of the Elam Ending.

Let's be honest, OT with multiple timeouts and fouls etc and multiple OTs from time to time are not good for players health, time, TV etc. Having a game go to OT then saying first one to 10 seems like a dynamite and fair arena for all involved, and would give a reasonable and somewhat fixed end to OT games. I'm sure with a tiny bit of effort you could tweak the rules to get to a solid conclusion. 2 fouls to the bonus (when in it's 2 or 3 for a shooting foul and 1 and the ball for a common foul). Maybe it's 11 or 12 instead of 10. Or 15. I could get on board that idea pretty quickly.

Baseball needs to address extra innings as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                              I wouldn't want to see it in regulation anywhere but TBT.

BUT, I think there's a serious case to be made for some kind of overtime application of the Elam Ending.

Let's be honest, OT with multiple timeouts and fouls etc and multiple OTs from time to time are not good for players health, time, TV etc. Having a game go to OT then saying first one to 10 seems like a dynamite and fair arena for all involved, and would give a reasonable and somewhat fixed end to OT games. I'm sure with a tiny bit of effort you could tweak the rules to get to a solid conclusion. 2 fouls to the bonus (when in it's 2 or 3 for a shooting foul and 1 and the ball for a common foul). Maybe it's 11 or 12 instead of 10. Or 15. I could get on board that idea pretty quickly.

Baseball needs to address extra innings as well.
                              I 100% agree, one argument you'll get is amongst gamblers (it's becoming more prevalent)... not often you see it but occasionally you see some back door favorite covers or overs with multiple OTs or the fouls late.

Comment

• One other argument for the ELAM ending and TV is that it makes it much less likely for a team to have the opening of its game cut off or shifted to another channel. I don't know how many times I've recorded a game and lost several minutes due to it being punted to another network, or just outright couldn't watch a game on any network until the double overtime game before it ended.

Comment

Working...
                                X