Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What grade do you give for the 2020-21 season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Are any of the players members of the board? No.

Should the fans hold them to a higher standard than they hold themselves? No.

Was the title of this thread, “What grade should the players give themselves”? No.

Did ORU replace 7 in players in the off season or their coach two weeks before the season started? No.

Saying that the regular season championship is the only thing keeping the season from being an F makes it very difficult to take you seriously.
    We must have had an F rating for the last 3 years also .. Since we never won the Regular Season, Never won the AAC tourney, and haven't won a game in the tourney since 2016-2017

Comment

Are any of the players members of the board? No.

Should the fans hold them to a higher standard than they hold themselves? No.

Was the title of this thread, “What grade should the players give themselves”? No.

Did ORU replace 7 in players in the off season or their coach two weeks before the season started? No.

Saying that the regular season championship is the only thing keeping the season from being an F makes it very difficult to take you seriously.
      I support the kids. They set goals before each season. I believe them. They don’t give a **** what idiots (including me) post on a message board.

This season gets higher grade than last season. But, they will have to be more reasonable with goals next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

We must have had an F rating for the last 3 years also .. Since we never won the Regular Season, Never won the AAC tourney, and haven't won a game in the tourney since 2016-2017
        If I was to give the previous 3 seasons grades, they would be worse than this year.

I gave them a B. They had a A- up to post-season play, then when it really counts got a D on the final and dropped them a letter grade.

I'm not sure when we look back at this year we will see it as lost opportunity to make a post-season run or realize this team really overachieved.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

I support the kids. They set goals before each season. I believe them. They don’t give a **** what idiots (including me) post on a message board.

This season gets higher grade than last season. But, they will have to be more reasonable with goals next year.
          Saying that seems to imply that you think they are not capable of winning a regular season championship, conference tourney championship, and one NCAA game next year.

If that’s the case then how could you possibly say that the conference championship is the only thing keeping you from giving them an F this year since they obviously overachieved?

Comment

We beat Oral Robert’s, negating any excuses about our off season compared to theirs.

We beat Houston, negating any excuses about how good we could be, or what it’s goals were.

Both those teams are in the Sweet 16. We won the conference regular season, pissed away the chance to make AAC Finals, barely made the tournament, then didn’t step up against a team that was far from 100%.

I figured since all the grades were listed as options, all opinions were welcome.

If not, we should edit the poll to:

A++
            A+
            A
            A-
            A—
            Who cares about winning. Everyone is a National Champ on my book.

Comment

We beat Oral Robert’s, negating any excuses about our off season compared to theirs.

We beat Houston, negating any excuses about how good we could be, or what it’s goals were.

Both those teams are in the Sweet 16. We won the conference regular season, pissed away the chance to make AAC Finals, barely made the tournament, then didn’t step up against a team that was far from 100%.

I figured since all the grades were listed as options, all opinions were welcome.

A++
              A+
              A
              A-
              A—
              Spot on
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

Or we're taking into account we didn't play a true conference schedule this year.
                Did we play everyone we were ALLOWED to play or who chose to play us? Yes. Did we force another team to miss a game? no.

I don't know for the life of me why the Shockers have to apologize to anyone for doing what were only ABLE to do....

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Did we play everyone we were ALLOWED to play or who chose to play us? Yes. Did we force another team to miss a game? no.

I don't know for the life of me why the Shockers have to apologize to anyone for doing what were only ABLE to do....
                  It's not apologizing for anything. But it is being honest and recognizing that we may have benefitted from not having the return game with Memphis (who embarrassed us) or having to play a good SMU team twice. Acknowledging that isn't an apology. It is being honest and recognizing that we very well could have lost any or all of those games and made a huge difference in where we finished. Sure, you could argue that we could have won all three and then we're not a play in team. But you also never know if we would have had a slip up against the "lesser" teams. Which would have also been very possible this year as we seemed to almost always play down to our opponents and just eek out victories, or not in the case of Drake.

Some of you want to use Covid as an excuse to praise everything that happened this year and give a pass to other things but refuse to acknowledge that if very well may have benefited us in the conference standings. Yes, we did what we could with what we had, but that doesn't automatically take away any questions that are legitimately there for others to look at.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

A++
                    A+
                    A
                    A-
                    A—
                    You can give whatever grade or opinion you want. Grading the season as an F “if not for the conference championship” is likely going to raise some eye brows. Sorry you can’t handle even the slightest bit of push back.

Again with ORU, did they replace seven guys in the off season plus their coach two weeks before the season started? Nope.

Did they win a Summit League championship? Nope.

Comment

C-

The final exam usually can affect an entire semester's worth of work. The final exam was horrendous and was an F by itself. So that F results in an overall assessment of a C-.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

It's not apologizing for anything. But it is being honest and recognizing that we may have benefitted from not having the return game with Memphis (who embarrassed us) or having to play a good SMU team twice. Acknowledging that isn't an apology. It is being honest and recognizing that we very well could have lost any or all of those games and made a huge difference in where we finished. Sure, you could argue that we could have won all three and then we're not a play in team. But you also never know if we would have had a slip up against the "lesser" teams. Which would have also been very possible this year as we seemed to almost always play down to our opponents and just eek out victories, or not in the case of Drake.

Some of you want to use Covid as an excuse to praise everything that happened this year and give a pass to other things but refuse to acknowledge that if very well may have benefited us in the conference standings. Yes, we did what we could with what we had, but that doesn't automatically take away any questions that are legitimately there for others to look at.
                        We don’t know what would have happened in the cancelled game so I don’t see how one can possibly consider them in the final grade one way or the other. But it seems you are more inclined to assume they would have been losses and to use them against the final grade. I don’t agree with that approach but that’s just me.

Some seem to not want to acknowledge COVID at all. I don’t think it should be used as an “excuse” but it should certainly be considered.

Comment

We beat teams that were better than Memphis and SMU, but lost to teams that were worse. So you can assume we would have lost 2 to SMU and again to Memphis if you are negative on the season, or you if you are positive you can say we would have won all 3. Most likely it's in the middle. How that would have affected our seeding and conference ranking? who knows. What we do know is we won a conference championship. There will be a banner hung .. there will be no asterisk besides it. That's a fact. That's something we haven't done since leaving the Valley.
                          Last edited by Stickboy46; March 22, 2021, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Did Tulsa apologize a couple years ago for the phony schedule they had which allowed them to tie for the conference championship? No, nor do I think we need to apologize. But, it is what it is, an incomplete.

Comment

I get all that ... lots of unknowns in there for sure... just saying that the Shocks met all their obligations and while it might not be a traditional title, it’s the title that it turned out to be...

Comment

You can give whatever grade or opinion you want. Grading the season as an F “if not for the conference championship” is likely going to raise some eye brows. Sorry you can’t handle even the slightest bit of push back.

Again with ORU, did they replace seven guys in the off season plus their coach two weeks before the season started? Nope.

Did they win a Summit League championship? Nope.
                                Again with ORU, did we beat them? Yep.

Are they still dancing? Yep.

Did we win AAC Championship? Yep.

Are we still dancing? Nope.

Comment

Working...
                                X