X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocktoberfest
    replied
    Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Not a fan of the "Back-up 5." That isn't an endorsement of this potential signing. If the potential of our recruiting is a back-up to Udeze we are in trouble. I hope this is just poor wording on Taylor's part. If in fact the wording came from the coaching staff, we have the wrong leader. Udeze should be the standard of a back-up.
    Word!

Leave a comment:

• OregonShocker
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post

Who is TP? I certainly never mentioned anyone with those initials...unless you have some cute pet name for Stevenson and his Charmin softness.
    Really? Ok, I'm done.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan View Post
    more than effort, they need to exercise some patience. Every freakin one of them thin they should be starters at Kentucky. Most of these kids are lucky to be on D1 scholarships - not just talking about our kids, it's all the bench warmers across the country.
    Maybe they are just unhappy with the coed situation at their current stop.

Leave a comment:

• WstateU
    replied

Who is TP? I certainly never mentioned anyone with those initials...unless you have some cute pet name for Stevenson and his Charmin softness.

Leave a comment:

• SHOXAAC
    replied
    Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

This .. we are returning our starting 5 man. He's the starter until proven on the court otherwise. That includes if we had a James Wiseman level recruit coming in.
    Sorry...you don't use the term back-up at any position when getting ready to sign a player.

Leave a comment:

• OregonShocker
    replied
    Those numbers will never make success sustainable. Sorry for being concerned about the sustainability of the program.
    Again you lose some credibility. If a program loses 6 each year, and two are walk-ons, and two are injuries, and two are deep bench riders, then I'd say sustainability isn't hurt at all. This is where the "impact" player comments stem from.

Leave a comment:

• Dan
    replied
    more than effort, they need to exercise some patience. Every freakin one of them thin they should be starters at Kentucky. Most of these kids are lucky to be on D1 scholarships - not just talking about our kids, it's all the bench warmers across the country.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied
    Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Actually, only 4. TW (the shorter Wade), JB, IPBC, and JS. Neither Gilbert nor Wade the Taller are scholarships that we can replace.

My understanding is that if Trey and Alterique did stay their scholarships would not count toward the 13 scholarship limit. Either way, at this point we have 7 scholarships players returning:

Dexter, Tyson, Craig, Ricky, Monzy, Mo and Chaunce. HCIB has 6 scholarships to use if he wants to whether or not the 2 seniors return next year.

HCIB's issue is, if Trey and Alterique would decide to come back next year, does he want to use all those scholarships this year or perhaps put a couple in his pocket to use next year. If they don't return does he want a full roster of 13 scholarship players. Either way he has 6 available scholarships right now.

Leave a comment:

• SHOXAAC
    replied
    Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

That narrows it a bit .. and if it's the JUCO being mentioned on our recruiting board .. I'm all for it ...
    Not a fan of the "Back-up 5." That isn't an endorsement of this potential signing. If the potential of our recruiting is a back-up to Udeze we are in trouble. I hope this is just poor wording on Taylor's part. If in fact the wording came from the coaching staff, we have the wrong leader. Udeze should be the standard of a back-up.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Well until they get on campus and prove themselves everyone is a backup. It is Udeze's spot until someone knocks him out of it.
    This .. we are returning our starting 5 man. He's the starter until proven on the court otherwise. That includes if we had a James Wiseman level recruit coming in.

Leave a comment:

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
    replied
    Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

Sherfield and Burton may have been symptoms of a now fixed problem; therefore suggesting that adding them to the count signals a CURRENT problem within the program is erroneous. And yes, you can only say it's a lot of the majority of other programs have only lost a few in the past years.

BUT you lost credibility when you suggest TP could've taken strides under a new coach. He had a new coach; didn't make strides...forward, at least.

Leave a comment:

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
    replied
    Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

Your reading comprehension is not that good. I said OTHER THAN LAST YEARS TRANSFERS AND AR.

And we all know what went down last year. It wasn't a "normal" situation.

Outside of those I mentioned...which again aren't a "normal" situation we haven't lost anyone of extreme value. And nothing can be done if players aren't willing to put in the effort to get more playing time.....it's the landscape now.
    Glad to know that not being good with 18+ defections in three years is "overreacting." Making one statement does not equate to overreacting. I'm not running around here screaming about it ad nauseam. I merely mentioned that it is not an optimal thing and BAM, here come the homers to defend all things Wichita State. Losing that many players is a lot. No one gets to tell me how to quantify "a lot" either. I'm never going to be okay with that number. I don't care what the situations surrounding the program are. Those numbers will never make success sustainable. Sorry for being concerned about the sustainability of the program.

Leave a comment:

• shockerfan
    replied
    Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Back up JUCO 5-man doesn’t get my excitement levels up much, but we’ll see.
    Well until they get on campus and prove themselves everyone is a backup. It is Udeze's spot until someone knocks him out of it.

Leave a comment:

• shock
    replied
    Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Can we please stop including walk-ons? They have zero impact on the scholarship situation.
    That’s not what the question was. You are more than welcome to join in the discussion if you want to phase the answers your own way.

Leave a comment:

• shockerfan
    replied

If you like recruiting six players every year just to fill the roster, by all means, ignore the numbers. I get that the portal is the devil and is going to cause consternation everywhere. Wichita State is not in a situation to just "bounce back" from this type of turnover. As far as "impact players leaving" it seems that Sherfield certainly was an impact player this season. Who is to say that Burton or Stevenson (though I don't really miss them) would not have taken strides this season under a new coach? We cannot simply dismiss young players leaving as, "well they weren't impact players either." We haven't seen them more than a season or two...some guys take far longer than one or two seasons to really get it going.
    Your reading comprehension is not that good. I said OTHER THAN LAST YEARS TRANSFERS AND AR.

And we all know what went down last year. It wasn't a "normal" situation.

Outside of those I mentioned...which again aren't a "normal" situation we haven't lost anyone of extreme value. And nothing can be done if players aren't willing to put in the effort to get more playing time.....it's the landscape now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X