X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shoxlax
    replied
    Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I bolded a KEY statement. Were you in the practices? I'm guessing no. With limited capacity, Were you even at the games? I'm guessing most on here that is a no also. From watching the game on TV, were you able to see the coaching being done? I watched every game on TV. I sure don't remember seeing more than 2-3 minutes combined all year of any conversations on the bench because they were always focused on the court or the analysts or commercials. I sure can't make a judgement of what he did or didn't try to do. Heck, I'd argue that 99% of the people bitching on this board wouldn't be able to tell if an actual adjustment was made. The only thing they based their decisions on is whether more balls went in the hoop which has 100 factors to make that happen.

I'm just saying in a crazy year like this year, making major changes probably wouldn't be smart. Yes, he should make minor adjustments. We definitely saw SOME of those throughout the year. I felt like the defensive gameplan last night was amazing. Drake has an elite offense and we shut them down. Did we suck on offense? yes. Some blame goes to IB, but we shot like crap. Including shooting like crap on a lot of really good shots. Heck we missed 4 shots in a row, 1 foot from the basket with the game on the line. We missed 11 FT. Dexter bricked several wide open 3s. They were selling out on stopping Etienne and we didn't have enough people step up and hit shots to take advantage of that.
    Let me add to that he had a mask on so not only was reading lips impossible but so was the mood or manner in which he was saying things. I have been to practice when he was an assistant and have seen him become very stern with players. I do not know whether that occurred this year or not and most of you don't either.

Leave a comment:

• asiseeit
    replied
    Credit where credit is due. Credit to IB for the regular season. Outstanding ! Post season was a disaster AND
    embarrassing to watch. IB has to take some responsibility for that, as well. I have my doubts going forward but
    recruiting 2-3 quality/polished players and not losing the returning nucleus will determine a lot going forward.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post

Sure they won the league...with an asterisk of never playing SMU and not having two with Memphis who absolutely waxed them when Memphis had been playing BAD basketball up to that game.

Listen, I'm happy they won the league. I'm not happy they couldn't back that up in the post season.

Also, I am one of the few who thought there was no choice but to move on from Marshall, but also was not sold on the official hiring of IB.
    There is no asterisk. We won because we won a higher percentage of games put in front of us than Memphis/SMU/Houston (which is what all the schools agreed upon before the year). Houston and Memphis didn't lose the title because they had to play the tougher teams. They lost the title because both of them lost to Tulsa (which we didn't) and Houston lost to ECU also. Winning titles is more than just beating the top teams .. it's not losing to the crap teams.

Leave a comment:

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
    replied

You first. Seriously. This fanbase is embarrassing right now.
    Oh. Ok. Guess making observations about the play, or lack thereof, is now verboten? Good to know. Ought to make threads real short.

Leave a comment:

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
    replied

This is a very fair statement. I just think the overreaction, considering how much we exceeded expectations this year, is a little embarrassing for the fanbase. We won the Fing league (Marshall never did that). We went to the tourney from the AAC (something Marshall only did 1 out of the 2 years (last year was a toss up if we would have made it). Yet we have people on here saying that a couple bad games saying we have tanked our program forever and the entire athletic department needs to be fired. Seriously. The amount of people that only remember the good times from Marshall is amazing. We lost to 13 seed Marshall with a freaking first round draft pick on the team.
    Sure they won the league...with an asterisk of never playing SMU and not having two with Memphis who absolutely waxed them when Memphis had been playing BAD basketball up to that game.

Listen, I'm happy they won the league. I'm not happy they couldn't back that up in the post season.

Also, I am one of the few who thought there was no choice but to move on from Marshall, but also was not sold on the official hiring of IB.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied

LOL. Ok, Chief. I made the statement that it looked like it was the same offense as all season. You are the one who took it to the extreme of excusing the lack of sets because of a "not normal" year. You took the "moral high ground" of calling me out for not being at the practices, but when I turn the tables on you it suddenly "doesn't matter." Get over yourself. I offered reasons why WSU didn't improve, you chose to excuse the coach because of lack of normalcy.
    You first. Seriously. This fanbase is embarrassing right now.

Leave a comment:

• shock
    replied
    1. A coach that can compete when the lights are hot.

yep, that’s about it. Someone mentioned, sincerely, sending IB to a camp to learn how to be a coach. Yeah, because hiring a coach with experience is too difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Unless you are in the practices or on or very close to the bench you never actually "see" the coaching and, of course, that applies to 99.9% of the fans and observers so that goes without saying. And even if you saw the coaching the real test is can you see the impact of the coaching and that is the play you see on the floor. And yes I can see that, although I admit my eyes aren't what they used to be.

I do think that HCIB did make some effective in game adjustments on the defensive end pretty regularly. I liked the way he was willing to make those defensive changes and for the most part I think they were effective and generally I thought our defense was pretty good. I also like how he used he time outs for the most part. However, as regards the offense I was not impressed nor could I really detect much impact from whatever coaching decisions and actions were being made, if any. It remains to be seen whether or HCIB has the goods to get the offense fixed.
    This is a very fair statement. I just think the overreaction, considering how much we exceeded expectations this year, is a little embarrassing for the fanbase. We won the Fing league (Marshall never did that). We went to the tourney from the AAC (something Marshall only did 1 out of the 2 years (last year was a toss up if we would have made it). Yet we have people on here saying that a couple bad games saying we have tanked our program forever and the entire athletic department needs to be fired. Seriously. The amount of people that only remember the good times from Marshall is amazing. We lost to 13 seed Marshall with a freaking first round draft pick on the team.

Leave a comment:

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
    replied

I'm not the one making any definitive statements about whether adjustments were or weren't made. So whether i was there or not doesn't matter.
    LOL. Ok, Chief. I made the statement that it looked like it was the same offense as all season. You are the one who took it to the extreme of excusing the lack of sets because of a "not normal" year. You took the "moral high ground" of calling me out for not being at the practices, but when I turn the tables on you it suddenly "doesn't matter." Get over yourself. I offered reasons why WSU didn't improve, you chose to excuse the coach because of lack of normalcy.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied

Glad to see you WERE in the practices so that you can be the be-all and end-all for this discussion.
    I'm not the one making any definitive statements about whether adjustments were or weren't made. So whether i was there or not doesn't matter.

Leave a comment:

• 1972Shocker
    replied

I bolded a KEY statement. Were you in the practices? I'm guessing no. With limited capacity, Were you even at the games? I'm guessing most on here that is a no also. From watching the game on TV, were you able to see the coaching being done? I watched every game on TV. I sure don't remember seeing more than 2-3 minutes combined all year of any conversations on the bench because they were always focused on the court or the analysts or commercials. I sure can't make a judgement of what he did or didn't try to do. Heck, I'd argue that 99% of the people bitching on this board wouldn't be able to tell if an actual adjustment was made. The only thing they based their decisions on is whether more balls went in the hoop which has 100 factors to make that happen.

I'm just saying in a crazy year like this year, making major changes probably wouldn't be smart. Yes, he should make minor adjustments. We definitely saw SOME of those throughout the year. I felt like the defensive gameplan last night was amazing. Drake has an elite offense and we shut them down. Did we suck on offense? yes. Some blame goes to IB, but we shot like crap. Including shooting like crap on a lot of really good shots. Heck we missed 4 shots in a row, 1 foot from the basket with the game on the line. We missed 11 FT. Dexter bricked several wide open 3s. They were selling out on stopping Etienne and we didn't have enough people step up and hit shots to take advantage of that.
    Unless you are in the practices or on or very close to the bench you never actually "see" the coaching and, of course, that applies to 99.9% of the fans and observers. And even if you saw the coaching the real test is can you see the impact of the coaching and that is the play you see on the floor. And yes I can see that, although I admit my eyes aren't what they used to be.

I do think that HCIB did make some effective in game adjustments on the defensive end pretty regularly. I liked the way he was willing to make those defensive changes and for the most part I think they were effective and generally I thought our defense was pretty good. I also like how he used his time outs for the most part. However, as regards the offense I was not impressed nor could I really detect much impact from whatever coaching decisions and actions were being made, if any. It remains to be seen whether or HCIB has the goods to get the offense fixed.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 19, 2021, 11:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GreatWhiteBuffalo
    replied

Glad to see you WERE in the practices so that you can be the be-all and end-all for this discussion.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
    At first I thought having a players coach might be a good thing but as the season progressed I think it
    led to our downfall. Some players just got too much rope for doing their own thing. TE had a good season but
    looking at stats certainly not that spectacular. Same for AG.
    I thought DD was our most solid all around
    player but even that was 75% because of his great defense. MU finished the season strong and made me
    a believer. Getting back to IB I think he has to get much tougher and not allow any selfish play which I thought
    I saw a lot of in post season. Coach better ball movement and RECRUIT.
    I'm curious .. who would you have brought in to "shorten the rope" for AG and TE?

Leave a comment:

• asiseeit
    replied
    At first I thought having a players coach might be a good thing but as the season progressed I think it
    led to our downfall. Some players just got too much rope for doing their own thing. TE had a good season but
    looking at stats certainly not that spectacular. Same for AG. I thought DD was our most solid all around
    player but even that was 75% because of his great defense. MU finished the season strong and made me
    a believer. Getting back to IB I think he has to get much tougher and not allow any selfish play which I thought
    I saw a lot of in post season. Coach better ball movement and RECRUIT.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by choida View Post
    Honestly think giving him a multi year contract extension was stupid... And can't give any reason to why it was done. Beating Houston at home in a Covid year is not the reason. Boatwright made a quick rash decision and i hope it doesn't come back to bite is in the @$$. Hope I'm severely wrong.
    Not hiring the AAC Coach of the year and coach of the team that won the AAC wouldn't have played out well. It might end up being the wrong decision in the long run, but it was the only decision in the short term. We literally went from being the dark story of the season to the feel good story of the season. That matters ... no matter how much people like to scream on here that it doesn't .. how the program is perceived in the national spotlight matters. The opinion of fans on message boards does not matter. That's just the reality of it. We repaired our program image in 3 months.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X