No announcement yet.

ESPN is impressed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the 15 article dump this morning from ShockerHoops basically sums it up. Lots of love right now, I'm sure even more will come when the rankings come out Monday. Most bloggers will talk about how "they always knew it wasn't just Creighton that would make a run, and that the MVC is one of the most underrated conferences in the nation".
    "Say it slowly and savor it..."
    Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
      Oh, the weekly watch:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/notebookweeklywatch1210/week-10

M
      ake sure you realize that Michigan State, Katz's team of the week, lost earlier in the week 42-41 against Illinois.

Also realize, O'neill on the side article lists good wins, and Wichita State is not one of them.

Euck FSPN!!
      Michigan St lost to Illinois on Jan 31st, almost 2 full weeks ago.

Under "More Teams That Impressed Us" by Katz: Wichita State: Let's take a break on Creighton and shift the Valley attention to Wichita State. The Shockers deserve all the love. WSU went into Omaha and dominated Creighton. These two teams are heading in opposing directions. Wichita State beat Northern Iowa earlier in the week, just after the Panthers had beaten Creighton. WSU has a two-game lead in the Valley with four to play.

King's Observations: 2. Wichita State is the best team in the country from a non-power six league. Creighton certainly can't argue that point after getting stomped by 21 points -- at home, no less -- by its Missouri Valley Conference rival. And remember, WSU beat UNLV by 19 points earlier this season. With Murray State and Saint Mary's also losing last week, the Shockers are the country's mid-major team du jour. And with four senior starters and an excellent coach in Gregg Marshall, don't expect them to go away anytime soon.

All this from the page you linked.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        Michigan St lost to Illinois on Jan 31st, almost 2 full weeks ago.

Under "More Teams That Impressed Us" by Katz: Wichita State: Let's take a break on Creighton and shift the Valley attention to Wichita State. The Shockers deserve all the love. WSU went into Omaha and dominated Creighton. These two teams are heading in opposing directions. Wichita State beat Northern Iowa earlier in the week, just after the Panthers had beaten Creighton. WSU has a two-game lead in the Valley with four to play.

King's Observations: 2. Wichita State is the best team in the country from a non-power six league. Creighton certainly can't argue that point after getting stomped by 21 points -- at home, no less -- by its Missouri Valley Conference rival. And remember, WSU beat UNLV by 19 points earlier this season. With Murray State and Saint Mary's also losing last week, the Shockers are the country's mid-major team du jour. And with four senior starters and an excellent coach in Gregg Marshall, don't expect them to go away anytime soon.

All this from the page you linked.
        As for the Illinois loss, my homework apparently went as deep as theirs as it was still listed on the Michigan State weekly report for Top 25.

Four to play in the Valley.

The biggest compliment for Wichita State? A win over a Creighton team on the downward spiral, being the best Non-Power six league team, and since everyone else lost, we have to appoint someone the best, and we have 4 senior starters.

Give me a break.

Comment

Best non-power six league team. That's actually quite a compliment.

That would mean he thinks WSU > UNLV, San Diego State, Gonzaga, St. Mary's

There's love there. I personally like the team with a chip on their shoulder myself.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

As much as we would like to receive our just desert there are inherent advantages at flying under the radar. I think the pressure and attention and constant requests put stress on CU and they could not just focus on the task at hand. We will likely be ranked tomorrow and if we can rattle off some wins we will move up quickly.

It is not college football, so the polls and attention don't mean $hit, and we will get to do our talking on the court. We will get to speak loudly in March and this team has put themselves in a position to get a high seed. We fear no one and all of the so-called big boys will continue to give us no respect, but we should see the silver lining, other than the 9 teams in our league we are not a target and outside of about 2-3 teams in the country our "A" game is superior and even those 2-3 teams are not significantly better then us when we play our best game.

Bottom line - Screw all the pundits and enjoy the ride, there is a certain amount of pleasure I derive by being part of a much more exclusive club.

Comment

Me too.

But I would like to see a statement. Jason King, even though he has been somewhat supportive, asks for an interview... "Eh, no thanks"

Katz wants a quote for a story... "I'll pass"

Then I'll say, "Ok. We made our point."

I mean, really. What have we gained with the backhanded compliments, snubbing, and being looked over by that entire organization. And they only reason they have that power is we give it to them.

Comment

I've got a "power-six" in my pants for any BCS team that wants to come on over to Koch Arena.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                  Me too.

But I would like to see a statement. Jason King, even though he has been somewhat supportive, asks for an interview... "Eh, no thanks"

Katz wants a quote for a story... "I'll pass"

Then I'll say, "Ok. We made our point."

I mean, really. What have we gained with the backhanded compliments, snubbing, and being looked over by that entire organization. And they only reason they have that power is we give it to them.
                  Not a great idea. I mean, I get where you're coming from, but all the press we're getting is only going to help recruiting. A lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    I've got a "power-six" in my pants for any BCS team that wants to come on over to Koch Arena.
                    Funny comment, weak numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by SirShoxAlot View Post
                      Funny comment, weak numbers.
                      Hahah, I'm guessing you would have liked me to include A10 and CUSA for a "power-eight"?
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Some love from Andy Katz today:

Murray State has tremendous respect among the coaches to only fall seven spots to No. 14 in the ESPN/USA Today poll after losing at home to Tennessee State. But what about Wichita State? The Shockers got no respect from the coaches after rocking Creighton in Omaha and establishing themselves as the premier team in the Valley. Wichita wasn't in the Top 25 released Monday.

Also this from Andy:

The hottest teams since the matchups were announced are Long Beach State, Wichita State, Drexel and VCU. If you could reseed and have those four teams play in some form, that would still provide plenty of pop. Long Beach State is at Creighton, Wichita at Davidson, Drexel at Cleveland State and VCU hosts Northern Iowa. The Saint Mary's-Murray State game still has enormous value for the Racers. A win and everyone will settle down a bit about the Racers' at-large hopes. A loss and suddenly they are tossed back into the pool.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ege-basketball

Comment

Working...
                        X