ESPN is impressed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN is impressed...

In addition to the glowing WSU writeups by a couple of their reporter / bloggers, ESPN has come up with a ranking tool, called BPI, that they're asserting is better than RPI or any of the rating systems currently out there (e.g., Sagarin). Of course, being better than RPI isn't that hard, because RPI treats all wins equally, whether they're one-pointers or blowouts; and from the standpoint of evaluating how good a team is for predictive purposes, they simply aren't.

What was also striking about ESPN's BPI rankings (which I looked up just before beginning to type this) was how high WSU ranked, 12th even BEFORE the pounding they handed Creighton in Omaha. This may explain why they've had WSU at the top of their "mid-major" rankings, as the Shocks were their highest-ranked such team (Creighton was 19th, just behind UNLV and Gonzaga at 17th and 18th). The next highest team outside a "power six" conference was St. Louis of the allegedly almost major A-10, just behind WSU at 13th.

Here were their top 15 (sorry for the poor formatting; their columns weren't preserved by copy-and-paste). The second number for each team, immediately following its D-1 record, was the team's BPI. Pretty decent company the Shocks are keeping:

Rk Team Conference D-I W-L BPI Net Pts vs Avg BPI SOS

1 Kentucky SEC 24-1 91.4 18.9 90
    2 Syracuse Big East 24-1 90.1 17.7 57
    3 Ohio State Big Ten 21-3 90.0 17.7 84
    4 Michigan State Big Ten 18-5 87.4 15.6 16
    5 Kansas Big 12 19-5 86.8 15.1 10
    6 Duke ACC 20-4 85.5 14.2 1
    7 North Carolina ACC 20-4 85.3 14.1 62
    8 Florida SEC 19-5 83.7 13.2 51
    9 Missouri Big 12 22-2 83.7 13.1 86
    10 Baylor Big 12 20-3 82.8 12.6 17
    11 Wisconsin Big Ten 19-6 82.6 12.5 48
    12 Wichita State Missouri Valley 20-4 81.8 12.0 56
    13 Saint Louis A-10 18-5 81.8 12.0 93
    14 Indiana Big Ten 19-6 81.6 12.0 23
    15 Louisville Big East 19-5 81.5 11.9 36

By the way, my apologies for the duplication if this has already been posted; I haven't seen it elsewhere on here.

Great minds think alike...
    http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...ducing-the-BPI:yahoo:
    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

kai (or other admin type who can do such things), please feel free to merge this thread into joco's entitled "Introducing the BPI." Either he and I were typing at the same time, or I was too busy reading and being entertained by our old pal Dofo to notice joco's thread barely beating me to the punch on the subject.

Comment

Here is another ESPN write up:

When you've got a national player of the year candidate ripping through each and every opposing defense he sees with a rare blend of volume and efficiency, it's easy to disguise your team's warts. After Wichita State's end-to-end dismantling of the Bluejays on Saturday, those warts are now fully exposed.

The score line tells the story here, but it's nothing new: Creighton is, at best, a fairly mediocre defensive team. The Bluejays entered this Valley showdown ranked No. 119 in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency, per Pomeroy. They force turnovers on just 16.3 percent of their defensive possessions, which ranks them No. 336 out of 345 Division I teams. This so-so defense has been hidden well all season because Creighton outscores everybody. Doug McDermott and company have the nation's highest effective field goal percentage and its sixth-most efficient offense overall. But in the past three games -- losses to Northern Iowa, Evansville and now Wichita State -- the Bluejays' offense has suddenly cooled off. Creighton's effective field goal percentage figures in its past three games are 46.5, 44.2 and 44.7 percent.

And therein lies Saturday's problem: Wichita State is not a one-way team. Rather, Gregg Marshall's squad combines excellent defense (KenPom rank: No. 26) with efficient offense (KenPom: No. 11), tops in MVC play in both metrics. Despite their hugely impressive per-possession stats, the Shockers have flown below the radar recently thanks in large part to that triple-overtime loss at Drake in late January. But in basically every other Valley affair, even the 68-61 loss at home to Creighton in this series' first game, the Shockers have been comprehensively good.

Does that mean Wichita is 21 points better than Creighton, home, away or neutral? No. Is its offense as good as the 1.4 points per trip it poured in Saturday night? Probably not. But this lopsided result in front of a huge crowd in Omaha does reveal some notable truths about both teams. For Creighton, it laid bare just how important the Jays' offense is to their chances of making a run in the NCAA tournament; it's no coincidence this three-game losing streak came in three mediocre shooting performances. Greg McDermott's team can't afford to miss shots, because it can't get the stops it needs to keep things close.

For Wichita State, well, if you didn't know, now you know: The Shockers are good. Not "dangerous." Not "plucky." Just flat-out good.
        Saturday afternoon transitioned into Saturday night as smoothly as Kentucky transitions from an Anthony Davis block to the fast break. In the process, we saw Michigan State defend like crazy at Ohio State, Creighton take a beatdown by Wichita State and the aforementioned Wildcats again assert their dominance, this time at Vanderbilt.

Really surprised the Jays are that bad about forcing turnovers.

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
          You're telling me.
          Last edited by ripemupshocks; February 12, 2012, 08:00 AM.
          "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
            kai (or other admin type who can do such things), please feel free to merge this thread into joco's entitled "Introducing the BPI." Either he and I were typing at the same time, or I was too busy reading and being entertained by our old pal Dofo to notice joco's thread barely beating me to the punch on the subject.
            Maybe even combine all three threads.
            "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
              Maybe even combine all three threads.
              dang :adjoint: didn't see - didn't look hard enough...

Wichita State 89, Creighton 68: WSU was unranked in the coaches poll and Creighton was 15th. But BPI didn’t see Wichita’s win as a “shocking” upset. Entering the game, the Shockers were No. 12 and Creighton 19 in the BPI. After the 21-point rout on the road, Wichita State moves to 11 and Creighton to 25.

After a busy Saturday of college basketball, here are some of the more interesting changes in the BPI rankings, which are updated here. Keep in mind that scoring margin and game location are obviously very large factors.
              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Lunardi says 6 seed right now.
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                  Lunardi says 6 seed right now.
                  They may be impressed, but on college basketball live all they wanted to do was talk about the douggie domestic dispute and cu's at large hopes.
                  “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                  -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

3d, dougie domestic dispute. I like it.
                    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                    -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

They have St. Louis rated at #10, when they have a won-loss of 19-5 when ours is listed at 20-4, tied on other things except for SOS which St. Louis's is 88 compared to our 64. Scratching head ... Can't see a single reason why St. Louis is rated above us.

Comment

Originally posted by kochHead View Post
                        They may be impressed, but on college basketball live all they wanted to do was talk about the douggie domestic dispute and cu's at large hopes.
                        3G might be a little irritated that the 3D coverage is again pushing the Shocks performance into the background. Not all bad lurking in the shadows though. That can have it's advantages. Hopefully, we are the team receiving all the attention come March (and not because 3G has thrown a 3D type of fit).

Comment

Great. Now it means WSU is a shoe-in and CU is now getting the peripheral "bubble" talk that we had been receiving up until the trouncing yesterday afternoon. I don't care if we're not getting the hype now - surprising BCS conference schools come postseason play is just fine by me.

Comment

Finally, a "little" love from the Eastcoastbias Sports Pimpinwhatmakesusmoney Nakedloveforthebigeast.

Comment

Oh, the weekly watch:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/notebookweeklywatch1210/week-10

M
                              ake sure you realize that Michigan State, Katz's team of the week, lost earlier in the week 42-41 against Illinois.

Also realize, O'neill on the side article lists good wins, and Wichita State is not one of them.

Euck FSPN!!
                              Last edited by Downtown Shocker Brown; February 12, 2012, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X