No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. Drake First Four Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the biggest challenges we faced in the game came during a period where we were tired, because we used significantly less of our bench in the 2nd half. I was also surprised that Dexter was assigned primarily to guard Garrett Sturtz; he may play the 3 but the shorter Yesufu should have been our only priority coming into the game. Yesefu lit us up for 21, and was coming off a 7-game, 23PPG stretch.

I was surprised that we physically dominated Drake to such an extent, having been the smaller team in virtually every game this year. Drake didn't necessarily guard us particularly well; I fully believe that we can shoot 30/10/50 against a fairly mediocre defense on a bad game. We just aren't particularly efficient. A big reason was the offensive flow; we had just 7 assists on 19 makes. That wasn't atypical of our games this year. I thought our defense was one of our better games until we tired out, but against a team like Houston we'd have lost by 15-25 points if they had a decent shooting game.

Ultimately, I think this year's team overachieved. We did not have overwhelming physical or offensive talent, but we had good effort on defense and good team chemistry. We didn't have many complete games, but we were good at keeping games close and coming through in the end. We need more consistent scoring and playmaking next year to have the same or greater success. Brown needs to improve in several regards as a coach, most notably in developing offensive schemes and adjustments.

I wouldn't be surprised if good recruiting and the natural development of the talent we have on board makes us a top-3 AAC team and a NCAA contender. I also wouldn't be surprised if we regressed by losing a few more tight games. I feel like this year's roster was a top-70 level team, but we got a lot of B and B+ games out of them thanks to the chemistry and effort, and it is unreasonable to have expected more than that given the circumstances. I want us to keep the same energy, but fill in the holes in our game.

Comment

• Craig Porter takes 9.5 seconds every time bringing the ball past half court. He’s decent at blocking shots after his man blows past him. A PG must be a willing scorer as well, CP is scared to shoot. Heck he air balled a 6 foot jumper yesterday.

Comment

• Hard to believe that we couldn't come up with a way to get Tyson some open looks

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Craig Porter takes 9.5 seconds every time bringing the ball past half court. He’s decent at blocking shots after his man blows past him. A PG must be a willing scorer as well, CP is scared to shoot. Heck he air balled a 6 foot jumper yesterday.
          He's a different player than he was a couple months ago for some reason

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            Hard to believe that we couldn't come up with a way to get Tyson some open looks
            Yep. All of the sets seemed to be for Mo or AG. Head scratcher to me the entire game.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Yep. All of the sets seemed to be for Mo or AG. Head scratcher to me the entire game.
              AG probably made some of those sets be for him.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

So now you wanna compare Marshall inheriting a program that had 1 year of success in the last 20, in the Missouri Valley Conference, with a complete roster of nobodies to IB inheriting a program that had been to 7 out of the last 8 NCAA Tournaments, in the American Athletic, with a roster, while decimated, got rid of a lot of its cancers?

Yep, again, definitely comparable.
                SF we can play this game all day... Houston absolutely slapped HCGM around the last few years. HCIB beat them once and was competitive at Houston. I have my fears about what the offense will look like going forward, but it is more of an extension of existing trends that HCIB was unable to fix in year one.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

AG probably made some of those sets be for him.
                  They weren’t all for AG and Mo, but Drake was excellent at making sure sets for TE were nuked before he touched the ball.
                  Last edited by proshox; March 19, 2021, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

They weren’t all for AG and Mo, but Drake was excellent at making sure sets for TE were nukes before he touched the ball.
                    good coaching from Drake

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

good coaching from Drake
                      Good coaching made better looking by 5 long range three shots

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                        I think the biggest challenges we faced in the game came during a period where we were tired, because we used significantly less of our bench in the 2nd half. I was also surprised that Dexter was assigned primarily to guard Garrett Sturtz; he may play the 3 but the shorter Yesufu should have been our only priority coming into the game. Yesefu lit us up for 21, and was coming off a 7-game, 23PPG stretch.

I was surprised that we physically dominated Drake to such an extent, having been the smaller team in virtually every game this year. Drake didn't necessarily guard us particularly well; I fully believe that we can shoot 30/10/50 against a fairly mediocre defense on a bad game. We just aren't particularly efficient. A big reason was the offensive flow; we had just 7 assists on 19 makes. That wasn't atypical of our games this year. I thought our defense was one of our better games until we tired out, but against a team like Houston we'd have lost by 15-25 points if they had a decent shooting game.

Ultimately, I think this year's team overachieved. We did not have overwhelming physical or offensive talent, but we had good effort on defense and good team chemistry. We didn't have many complete games, but we were good at keeping games close and coming through in the end. We need more consistent scoring and playmaking next year to have the same or greater success. Brown needs to improve in several regards as a coach, most notably in developing offensive schemes and adjustments.

I wouldn't be surprised if good recruiting and the natural development of the talent we have on board makes us a top-3 AAC team and a NCAA contender. I also wouldn't be surprised if we regressed by losing a few more tight games. I feel like this year's roster was a top-70 level team, but we got a lot of B and B+ games out of them thanks to the chemistry and effort, and it is unreasonable to have expected more than that given the circumstances. I want us to keep the same energy, but fill in the holes in our game.
                        This^^^ This team exceeded its ceiling for a lot of good reasons.

Tyson wasn’t expected to be in the running for POY, but he was the man for 95% of the season. I can’t help but think he was playing injured the past few games (he seemed to have a shoulder issue requiring a lot of attention in DFW).

Mo was able to be a consistent strength while giving up inches to almost everyone he played against.

Dex got much closer to the expectation he set via highlights his freshman year... he was elite on defense.

Gilbert was basically what I expected him to be - a streaky ball dominate, but undersized point guard

Wade repeated his junior season while playing at a physical disadvantage

The only player who had the ability to give more (based on glimpses of potential) was Ricky. Unfortunately he never earned the trust of the coaching staff... Had HCIB let the dawgs be dawgs - we would have seen a lot more of Ricky. Unfortunately for Ricky - he is exhibit A of how dumb that recurring statement by SF has been.

Comment

• I’ve seen it posted in various other thread that it’s “embarrassing” to lose to Drake. Really?

Drake had a good team, a good year, and were selected for tournament. If we believe what many on this board say - that the committee stacks the deck against “mid majors” - then Drake must have doubly belonged in the tournament.

Whether it’s Drake, Marshall, Miami, or Notre Dame most teams in the tournament are very good and capable of beating anyone on a given night.

Was the loss to Drake disappointing? Absolutely. But not because Drake was the team we lost to. It could’ve been Gonzaga and I’d still be disappointed because we blew two twelve point leads and looked like the better team most of the game.

Moving to the American was a no-brainer but it’s silly to look down on those teams because we’re in a different league.

Comment

• You're telling me Drake looked like a tourney team? Come on.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                              You're telling me Drake looked like a tourney team? Come on.
                              You’re not all about that Drake?
                              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
                              Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                                I’ve seen it posted in various other thread that it’s “embarrassing” to lose to Drake. Really?

Drake had a good team, a good year, and were selected for tournament. If we believe what many on this board say - that the committee stacks the deck against “mid majors” - then Drake must have doubly belonged in the tournament.

Whether it’s Drake, Marshall, Miami, or Notre Dame most teams in the tournament are very good and capable of beating anyone on a given night.

Was the loss to Drake disappointing? Absolutely. But not because Drake was the team we lost to. It could’ve been Gonzaga and I’d still be disappointed because we blew two twelve point leads and looked like the better team most of the game.

Moving to the American was a no-brainer but it’s silly to look down on those teams because we’re in a different league.
                                the way we played in front of a national audience was embarrassing

Comment

Working...
                                X