No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. Drake First Four Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So seeing above...our offensive efficiency has sucked.

Are we getting away from finding makers at the expense of athletes? No more Frankamps or Ogirris?

Or or is the offensive philosophy not playing to those strengths and actually getting our shooters open for good looks?

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

I’m going to **** on this a bit, Ref, maybe because I am discouraged by the state of college basketball. Teams win now because they steal talent, buy talent, once in a while actually find talent and run simple offenses that feature skills of the players not coaches. It’s AAU ball right now in most cases. So if you can do the above and somehow manage to get players to play hard and get along, you can win the majority of your games. Case in point on playing hard and unselfishly: Mike Boynton (and I really like him too). All you seem to do when you “don’t take it” is cause players to leave the program because someone else is already in their ear. I despise it and until there are some major changes to the state of college basketball, it will get worse.
      Lax,
      Fair and legit point.
      Even as pissed as I am after tonights fiasco, your points are well supported and acknowledged.

That is all.
      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
        So seeing above...our offensive efficiency has sucked.

Are we getting away from finding makers at the expense of athletes? No more Frankamps or Ogirris?

Or or is the offensive philosophy not playing to those strengths and actually getting our shooters open for good looks?
        The AAC in general is terrible at shooting so it makes sense why the numbers are so bad yet WSU finished 68th in AdjO.

Houston finished 104th in EFG. They find ways to be great without shooting well, why can't we?

Maybe my expectations are too high, we could've easily been 7th in the conference and have a slim outlook for the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by B1ShockFan View Post
          Can't believe all of you give up on the coach and the team with everything they went through this year. “They will be ok”.
          Doesn't AT&T have an advertising commercial based on that? Well close to that.

A arrogant doctor isn't ok, but having NEW Unlimited plans is not just ok. It's wonderful.#ATT

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

That can't be? We lost as a double-digit favorite in the tourney as a 4-seed? I thought we went undefeated before this IB slouch got the job??
            I don't think you wanna compare resumes of the two at this point.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Lmao, hey don't get me wrong. I would rather have 3G than IB. Just pointing out stupid when I see it.

3G also lost a pretty frustrating first-NCAA game as our coach as a big favorite, too.
              Good Lord you reach a lot. So now you ARE comparing the two and equating IB to Marshall? And I don't think they were a big favorite. That was almost a toss-up.

But that's all beside the point. The team regressed the last month of the season, and especially into the final week. They don't hold on to big leads. There are zero adjustments made. The same thing with the same players happen over and over again. You have an EXACT replay of the end of the Cincy game happening and the EXACT same end result happens tonight.

But yes, let's make this all about Marshall. My God.
              Last edited by ShockerFever; March 18, 2021, 10:59 PM.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Aargh,
                Quality poster and sure a good guy.
                But trying to use the officiating as the reason for this debacle of a loss is not legit.
                It was evenly called all night and both teams has their opportunities. WSU had more, but decided not to take advantage at the time to bury the hatchet.
                It was a game where Sr leadership was in demand and unfortunately, our Sr leadership was AWOL.
                As mentioned, AG needs to move on with his journey. He was a nice fill in for this year, but this program can, and has to do better.
                We are not competing with Indy State and UNI anymore. And need to recruit accordingly.

Specifically, JB needs to find a new home. Nice athlete,but not AAC level. If we were still in the Valley, could wait a year or so to possible develop.
                Those were the old days.

These days, we need AAC level athletes and they are needed now. As mentioned, they are out there, the staff needs to go get them.
                No more of going to war in this league with 6'7" post players.
                The reputation of WSU has been established, now the coaching staff needs to seal the deal with of type of players needed.
                Or go get the coaches who can.

That is all.
                Aargh likes to blame everybody but the damn thing standing right in front of him.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                  So seeing above...our offensive efficiency has sucked.

I remember when so many complained about the 2018 team (funny enough) because they never played defense and weren't "angry" enough. Nevermind the fact that we were ranked in the Top 10 a lot of the year, was a basket away from a conference title, and was a No.4 seed in the NCAAs.

Not gonna lie, I would trade that and guys that know how to put the ball in the hole rather than better than average defense that eeks into play-in games before bowing out to crappy Valley teams.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I remember when so many complained about the 2018 team (funny enough) because they never played defense and weren't "angry" enough. Nevermind the fact that we were ranked in the Top 10 a lot of the year, was a basket away from a conference title, and was a No.4 seed in the NCAAs.

Not gonna lie, I would trade that and guys that know how to put the ball in the hole rather than better than average defense that eeks into play-in games before bowing out to crappy Valley teams.
                    One year was a year where WSU had national championship ambitions and lost to a double digit underdog.

Another year was one where WSU was picked 7th in their conference and made the tournament.

Both seasons ended the same way, an opening game loss.

The 2018 team had talent, and experience as a team together. WSU hasn't had anything close to that since.

Comment

• The key, not just for next year but for our long term future, is whether the “players coach” can make the tough call and tell some players they just can’t cut it, and then move forward. We’ll see.

Comment

• Interestingly, in Taylor's post-game presser, IPBC was the only returner not mentioned as someone who could make an impact. I could be grasping at straws but it seemed odd to mention everyone else. IB also sounds like he thinks both seniors are gone to play professionally somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

At what point should IB have realized he was in over his head?
                          Probably when he was celebrating our first AAC Regular Season Championship. ... Or maybe when they told him he was AAC Coach of the year. A reasonable person sees those as signs of being in over your head and turns down multi millon dollar contracts based on them.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post

Did you watch us play last year? It wasn't great.

Maybe we shouldn't judge a HC tenure on 3 games.
                            FC,
                            Last nights loss hurt big time, as much as the Marshall, UK's and even the Vanderbilt NIT game. So I was generally not in a positive mood.
                            However, that's no excuse for name calling. Even if I totally disagree with your point, it was uncalled for and should not have done it.
                            Therefore, I do apologize.

That is all.
                            Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkoShox View Post
                              Interestingly, in Taylor's post-game presser, IPBC was the only returner not mentioned as someone who could make an impact. I could be grasping at straws but it seemed odd to mention everyone else. IB also sounds like he thinks both seniors are gone to play professionally somewhere.
                              Looking at last night's box score I just don't see many "impact" players returning outside of TE, DD and MU. RC and CJ maybe but both
                              need to understand and PLAY their roles better and IB needs to make sure players KNOW their roles. Not naming names but we
                              seem to have some dead weight on the team. IB will have to sign 2-3 quality polished players for us to finish in the top 3 next season
                              and make sure the pilot light stays lit all season for both him and his team.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Good Lord you reach a lot. So now you ARE comparing the two and equating IB to Marshall? And I don't think they were a big favorite. That was almost a toss-up.

But that's all beside the point. The team regressed the last month of the season, and especially into the final week. They don't hold on to big leads. There are zero adjustments made. The same thing with the same players happen over and over again. You have an EXACT replay of the end of the Cincy game happening and the EXACT same end result happens tonight.

But yes, let's make this all about Marshall. My God.
                                The point is not to compare 3G and IB, there is obviously no comparison. The point is to show that one game a career does not make. Or one week, or one season. Any jumping off the bridge is completely premature and moronic - goes to show how entitled everyone has become. That is my point.

There are certainly things not to like about the way the season ended, especially how yesterday's game went. But there are a ton of things to be excited about - and to ignore them is just as stupid as it is to ignore the bad things.

We were -7.5 against VCU in 2012, btw.

Comment

Working...
                                X