Wichita State vs. Drake First Four Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
    I’m just curious, what different strategy or tactics from the coaching staff would have resulted in a win?
    My two cents...putting Dex on the dude who lit us up for, what was it, 21 points?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

I mean sure. Regardless of what happens that predication seems infinitely more reasonable than "this is the high point of IBs coaching career"
      So you’re predicting NCAA tournament wins in the next 5 years?

Noted.

I can see why you’re so excited given what we’ve seen so far.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Ok, I've calmed down enough to post, I think. Beer in hand (obviously).

Saw this coming from the 1st 6 or 7 minutes that we are gonna brick all day. Bottom line. Drake pulled it together for 5 minutes on shooting and because we never did, that's all it took.

Our defense was good enough to win by 20 with average offense. Our offense was rock bottom though.

Drake is great. Enjoy the moment. This is your high point. This is our low point. Have fun. Congrats. YADA YADA.... At the end of the day, our worst is 1 point less than Drake. But it's still a gut punch, but we had it coming. Humble pie and all that. Whatever. Still glad to not be in the Valley, now go away Drake.

Shox, ETN, et al will either take this sting and grow, or this will be the apex. I don't think this is the apex for them. I think that given all the **** that went on, we will get better. It sucks. I'm pissed.

Get better, win more, suck less.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• What a disappointing end to the season. AG had time to get to the rim but I knew he was going to shoot a 3 when he was still in backcourt. We defended pretty well. We sucked at rebounding again. Our bench played their worst game of the year. Tyson struggled mightily. I hope Coach IB will have success recruiting because we really need a couple of key positions filled. I guess I'll be rooting for Houston at this point. Need the AAC to show well.
          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by shockersx View Post

Lol uh well as with any Division 1 team they practiced and had film sessions all year. But yeah typically you improve during the off-season? Generally a season of experience helps? Or are you just in denial that there’s no way they can improve
            Always look at the trend line. We have seen team(s) under Marshall improve as the season went along. I have not seen anything this season that says the trendline going to suddenly become positive.

Maybe HCIB will make some moves in the offseason to change that trajectory - we have 5 seasons to see if he can.

Comment

• Side note. Is anyone else tired of Dave Dahl, or is it just me?

Comment

• Sucks to lose so early too. Not excited about the tournament now. Bah

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerExpress View Post

Or how about... Idk... having the same coach all the offseason... Or for the preasesaon... or lose 7 transfers.... Or just get thrown into it two weeks before. Win you're conference, get an at-large, and then have dozens of WSU's fans on SN claim the program is doomed. Lol
                  Are you seriously this stupid?

Sure going into the year, I would’ve been ecstatic for an NCAA bid given what happened. But things change base on what happens through the course of the year. If we lose half of our toss up games, we’re 12-10 and then what? But even then, all you have to do is WATCH with your eyes what is happening on tv over and over again and the message is clear.

Being happy with a 1 point loss to Drake in an NCAA play in game in the manner in which it happened has to be one of the dumbest YMCA takes I’ve ever witnessed on this board.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Always look at the trend line. We have seen team(s) under Marshall improve as the season went along. I have not seen anything this season that says the trendline going to suddenly become positive.

Maybe HCIB will make some moves in the offseason to change that trajectory - we have 5 seasons to see if he can.
                    I’m not disagreeing with you that we didn’t really improve throughout the year. But I’m willing to wait an off-season to see how everyone improves from coaches to players before I jump to any conclusions. We have a solid group coming back. But IB will have to make some moves, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                      I’m just curious, what different strategy or tactics from the coaching staff would have resulted in a win?
                      It just seems our mojo was crap from the minute they hit the floor. Flat...flat and ummm flat. We started sooooo slow and timid. I get it...we're "feeling out" an unfamiliar team in the first 5 minutes but man take advantage of your athletes!!! Crush 'em early and get their heads hanging. We should've being going to the rack aggressively from jump street but perhaps Coach IB didn't push the right buttons pre-game.

Also...Tyson obviously didn't like the sight lines in that gym. But that's not coaching.
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

So you’re predicting NCAA tournament wins in the next 5 years?

Noted.

I can see why you’re so excited given what we’ve seen so far.
                        I do think he will likely win a tourney game at some point in five years. He made it in his first year with no experience and came a point away - with more than half the team transferring and getting thrown into the job a week before the season started.

Do people not remember what November and October was like? That was like only five months ago. The program was literally on the brink.

Comment

• I don't think anyone is blindly going to overlook that IB needs to improve, but for God's sake, lets at least give him 1 normal year (or maybe 2) before we decide he is a failure.

The whole team needs to improve. This team on paper should have been .500 probably, yet we managed to eek out wins.

They'll get better. We need to recruit some bigs though.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Are you seriously this stupid?

Sure going into the year, I would’ve been ecstatic for an NCAA bid given what happened. But things change base on what happens through the course of the year. If we lose half of our toss up games, we’re 12-10 and then what? But even then, all you have to do is WATCH with your eyes what is happening on tv over and over again and the message is clear.

Being happy with a 1 point loss to Drake in an NCAA play in game in the manner in which it happened has to be one of the dumbest YMCA takes I’ve ever witnessed on this board.
                            There is such a GULF between "being happy with a 1-point loss to Drake" and "IB shouldn't have been hired, this is the high point of his career" You can fit the whole damn Pacific Ocean in there -Again, moron.

Comment

• Silver Lining: We could be USF or Cincy. Big ooof.

Comment

• Here’s what I wanna see in the off-season:

get a PG - a real PG that has superior handles, speed and shooting ability. Our bench PGs are not good. Porter is awful. IMO, slow and can’t shoot at all. maybe Tyson can be PG next year, I dunno.

Get a 6’10” post or a serious player at the PF. I’m tired of being undersized at the 4.

council needs to live in the gym and work on executing under pressure, He can shoot and dribble but he’s almost as bad a Dex in traffic. Can’t have this if u wanna play at the highest level.

IPBC and Bilau must learn how to contribute. We are desperate for someone of their size with an ounce of skill. Please take this off-season seriously.

Monzy needs to work on everything basketball related. The effort is there, just not a lot of skill.

Dex, Tyson and Mo will be the core coming back. These guys need to be leaders and push the others hard.

gonna a long off-season.

Comment

Working...
                                X