Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about Wichita State and Creighton to the MWC.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Right. I wanna be part of that. If we are going to jump ship to a new conference, why not one that is privileged like the Big 12, instead of another so-so one?

I think that's been done ad nauseum. RPI, with the unrealistic SOS weighting, is certainly biased toward those conferences with the strongest contenders (meaning the mediocre teams get an artificial boost and into the dance when more deserving teams without one of the very elite programs in their conference get the axe). That's sort of my point actually.

You want to jump ship to another conference with two (or so) anchor teams that are guaranteed games, or do you want to join a conference that's gonna have some strong mid-majors that never get to play against the anchor teams (ie, more of the same)?

I am not disagreeing with you and I understand the point you were making; but you also have to recognize that we don’t know what the “Big 12” will look like in years to come – football is king in that conference. College athletics is a very fluid environment right now and WSU is at a disadvantage - says Mr. Obvious.

I guess my fear what happens when the schools at which football is driving force pull out of the B-12.
    Last edited by Maggie; February 15, 2012, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Big 12 = Texas controlled. It was covered earlier. That conference is unstable no matter what anyone says. The MWC it A-10 options or mixing are the best scenarios. Plus KU would never approve a move by WSU into the Big 12.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
        Big 12 = Texas controlled.
        Right, I have been watching the threads. If Texas is the anchor that causes the conference to get all the national media and attention that it's getting, isn't it a good thing that the conference has that anchor? I mean _they ARE getting all the national media and attention_ in the region after all.

That conference is unstable no matter what anyone says.
        Not sure what that matters. It's still getting the attention of the national media and having major success in our premier sport.

The MWC it A-10 options or mixing are the best scenarios.
        Why? If your answer is stability, that's weak. If it's because you think that new conference will be as successful as the Big 12 in the long run in basketball, that's a good answer. But without a couple of anchor teams that are perennial powerhouses, just how is it going to be anything other than what those two conferences already are, just bigger?

Plus KU would never approve a move by WSU into the Big 12.
        I thought Texas controls the conference? ;)
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Usually conferences have to have a unanimous vote to let a member in. Texas can't tell KU who to vote in. Texas controls it right now because they hold all the cards when it comes to keeping the conference together.

The BIG 12 is a football conference. Basketball is secondary. Football drives all and with no football at WSU, this suggestion of entering into a big time football conference is ridiculous. The new conference being formed out west is not near as big time as the BIG 12. It would fit WSU much better.

For anyone to think WSU would ever be a member of the Big 12, especially with no football, isn't thinking clearly.

Comment

Usually conferences have to have a unanimous vote to let a member in. Texas can't tell KU who to vote in. Texas controls it right now because they hold all the cards when it comes to keeping the conference together.

The BIG 12 is a football conference. Basketball is secondary. Football drives all and with no football at WSU, this suggestion of entering into a big time football conference is ridiculous. The new conference being formed out west is not near as big time as the BIG 12. It would fit WSU much better.

For anyone to think WSU would ever be a member of the Big 12, especially with no football, isn't thinking clearly.
            I wish the Big 12 would let us in for baseball only.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
              I wish the Big 12 would let us in for baseball only.
              That would make the most sense.

Comment

Your point that Texas controls the conference wasn't a literal one. The point is Texas can put pressure on KU if it were the only dissenter.

The BIG 12 is a football conference. Basketball is secondary. Football drives all and with no football at WSU, this suggestion of entering into a big time football conference is ridiculous.
                Which is why I said the Big 12 needs to add _4 non-football_ schools. That ain't gonna happen, but it would be ideal from WSU's perspective.

The new conference being formed out west is not near as big time as the BIG 12. It would fit WSU much better.
                You just got removed from the future Athletic Director search short list. :)

WSU cutting a deal with the Big 12 to reboot football within X years of joining for a spot in the conference makes all the geographic and media market sense in the world. At least as much sense as K-State makes being in the Big-12, that's for sure. The reality is we won't get a visionary enough President to champion that endeavor, and that's what makes it moot. That's not to say it isn't ideal from WSU's perspective though.

Adding football and joining another non-BCS conference does _NOT_ make sense as the risk probably easily outweighs the reward, which is why we will probably get stuck in MVC 2.0 at some point, as you suggested.

Comment

Joining the big 12 would actually boost recruiting as well. Quite a bit considering the schools we would play as well the TV recognition. Personally i think it would strengthen both basketball and baseball teams. We obviously recruit texas a bit.

But with that said w/o football why are we discussing this?

Comment

I'd honestly just be happy to see the two Indiana schools and a couple others replaced with different, more "visible" teams. That would be my ideal situation.

Oh, and a new league commissioner. Is that too much to ask for?

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
                      Joining the big 12 would actually boost recruiting as well. Quite a bit considering the schools we would play as well the TV recognition. Personally i think it would strengthen both basketball and baseball teams. We obviously recruit texas a bit.

But with that said w/o football why are we discussing this?
                      'Cuz there's four hours of filler time before the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                        I'd honestly just be happy to see the two Indiana schools and a couple others replaced with different, more "visible" teams. That would be my ideal situation.

Yeah, back in reality-land this is sorta my ideal situation as well.

Comment

• Wouldn't we have a better chance of holding onto Marshall long term if we were in the Big12?

Comment

• I think it'd be a lock.

Comment

• I'd honestly just be happy to see the two Indiana schools and a couple others replaced with different, more "visible" teams. That would be my ideal situation.

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Yeah, back in reality-land this is sorta my ideal situation as well.
                              I think we have a better chance of joining the SEC and winning the BCS football trophy within the next five years than the MVC ever booting or replacing a current member. I see no reality at all in that wish.

Comment

• There's talk of Temple going to the new CUSA/MWC. If that's the case I wonder if other A-10 schools are on their wish list.

At any rate, I see us having two options (if we have any at all): an invite to the new CUSA/MWC, or an invite to the A-10 if they get raided by the new league. Either way I see it as a slight step up for basketball at least (depending on who leaves the A-10, it's a few schools away from bush league). I like the idea of a package Creighton/WSU deal.
                                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
                                X