Creighton tidbits . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creighton tidbits . . .

FRom the article in Omaha paper after the Stutz matchup discussion. We need to break this string . . .

Creighton has sold all reserved-seat tickets for the game and will begin selling a limited number of standing-room only tickets at 10 a.m. Saturday at the CenturyLink box office. Saturday's game will be the sixth home sellout for the Bluejays. ... Creighton returned to practice Thursday after taking Wednesday off. ... In the past 15 seasons, Creighton has played 30 home games in which it brought a two-game losing skid into the contest. The Bluejays have won each home game, with 21 of the 30 ending in victories of 10 points or more for Creighton. ... McDermott, West Virginia's Kevin Jones and Weber State's Damian Lillard are the only players in the country to score 12 points or more in each of their team's games this season. ... Antoine Young's next assist will move him into third place on Creighton's career chart. The senior is tied with Randy Eccker with 458 assists. Ryan Sears holds the school record with 570 assists, with Ralph Bobik second with 549.
    If you take the high road, you won't find much traffic there . . .

Sellout and white out. Glad this isn't a rivalry that Jaysker fans are interested in.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I have to give them props, though. That is a big venue to sell out so many times this year. I am more than a little disappointed every time I see empty seats at our games. Does anyone remember the 90s? Dang!

Comment

Different economy
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

If KSU and/or KU basketball had gone their entire existence without winning a single NCAA tournament game, WSU basketball would attract similar numbers as CU.

Comment

Good point Royal. Definitely not apples to apples comparison. We do have tremendous basketball history in our state. I guess my frustration is simply that our city as a whole doesn't seem to embrace the Shox as well as even 6 years ago.

Comment

That’s possibly due to the fact that some of the “fringe” fans became involved and invested in the 05-06 season, were rewarded by the start of the 06-07 season, and had their enthusiasm curbed immediately thereafter. Now many are weary to reinvest. Who knows, but that’s just my take on the psychology of the masses.

Although, not filling the arena has to do more with the economy, plus having games on tv...
              “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
              -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

This is definitely an economic issue more than support for the shocks issue.
                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                  This is definitely an economic issue more than support for the shocks issue.
                  Agreed. Didn't the string of sellouts extend into Marshall's first season, which was obviously a down year? The modest drop in support does seem to have coincided with the 2008 recession.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                    I have to give them props, though. That is a big venue to sell out so many times this year. I am more than a little disappointed every time I see empty seats at our games. Does anyone remember the 90s? Dang!
                    I don't think that their tickets are nearly as expensive. Some upper row seats are $10.00 and I don't think that they have very many if any seat licenses.

Comment

When did cox low def #22 start televising the home and away games?

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        I don't think that their tickets are nearly as expensive. Some upper row seats are $10.00 and I don't think that they have very many if any seat licenses.
                        The CU support is impressive. In the early season games they have promotions for cheap and even free tickets. But for the WSU game there are no promotions. That will be 18000+ sold tickets.

Many of their home games have also been on local TV (local CBS affiliate not some funky cable channel) too.

IMO showing some home games on a regular TV channel (when you have a good product to showcase) helps increase attendance more than it hurts. You expand your audience. You get more people interested in actually going to a game. First you turn some people into casual fans and then you turn some of those casual fans into hard core fans.

The other thing that helps expand your fanbase is being ranked in the top 25. CU has been there a good part of the season and that brings more of those casual sports fans in.

When your games on on on offbeat cable channel like ours you have far less of a chance of expanding the fanbase. The vast majority of people who watch games on 22 are hard core Shocker fans to start with. The TV guide does not include listings for COX22, so potential new fans are less likely to watch the games.

Besides even if they did the very low definition blurryvision probably turns potential new fans off.

Comment

What else is a Nebraska fan going to do during the off-season?
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Here is a good preview of the game from the CU side:

It's the Game of the Year in the MVC, as Creighton and Wichita State battle to decide who gets to hang a banner.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              What else is a Nebraska fan going to do during the off-season?
                              They could watch the states newest D1 school UNO play basketball in the barn.

Comment

Working...
                              X