Wichita State vs. SMU Pregame Discussion 2-25-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State vs. SMU Pregame Discussion 2-25-21

SMU (11-4, 7-4) at WICHITA STATE (13-4, 9-2)
    THURSDAY, FEB. 25, 2021 | 6:01 P.M. CT
    WICHITA, KAN. | CHARLES KOCH ARENA (25% Capacity, 2,625)
    TV: ESPN/ESPN2
    RADIO: KEYN 103.7 FM https://www.radio.com/keyn/listen
    SERIES: WSU leads 8-4 (4-2 in Wichita)

LAST: March 1, 2021 in Dallas (WSU 66-62)
    GAME RECAP:
    Wichita State rallied from a 24-point second-half deficit to stun host SMU, 66-62, at Moody Coliseum in the largest comeback in school history.

Wichita State (22-7, 10-6 American) trailed 50-26 with 14:48 to play, at which point ESPN calculated SMU's win probability at 99.8 percent. Instead, the Shockers outscored the Mustangs 40-12 the rest of the way to take over sole possession of fourth-place in the conference standings and keep its hopes alive for an NCAA tournament bid.

The comeback was the second-largest in Division I basketball this year behind Eastern Illinois, which surged from 27 down to defeat Murray State.

Dexter Dennis set career-highs with 25 points and seven three-point field goals on 14 attempts to lead the Shockers. Grant Sherfield supplied 14 points and six assists and Jaime Echenique added seven points and team-high 13 rebounds.

Isiaha Mike scored 23 points on 10-of-18 shooting for SMU (19-9, 9-7), which lost at home for the first time in conference play and for just the second time all season.

WSU led 17-16 near the midway point of the first half, but SMU scored 16 of the next 17 points and went into the break with a 37-24 cushion. Mike supplied 10 points in a 13-2 SMU run to begin the second half, which pushed the lead to 24 points.

That was rock bottom for the Shockers who were 9-of-36 from the field (.250) at that point.

Over the last 14:00 they made 14-of-24 attempts, including 9-of-14 from three. Dennis hit five of those triples on his way to 17 second-half points. He became just the sixth player in school history to sink seven-or-more threes in a game.

As a team, Wichita State nailed 14 three-pointers – one shy of the school record – and its 36 attempts were the second-most in program history.

WSU won on the glass, 41-29, and outscored SMU 23-10 on second-chance opportunities, helped by 17 offensive rebounds.

The Shockers scored 17-straight points on five three-pointers to hack the 24-point deficit down to four with 7:22 to play.

Jamarius Burton's three-point play put the Shockers in front with 1:14 to go, 62-61.

Emman Bandoumel answered with a layup through contact with 48 seconds remaining to put SMU ahead 63-62, but his free throw missed.

Dennis hit his seventh-and-final triple with 39 seconds on the clock to give WSU the lead for good, 65-63.

The Shockers forced a defensive stop to regain possession with seven seconds left and Dennis scored a transition layup as WSU played keepaway for the final margin.

If the Shox play anywhere near the level and intensity they showed against Houston, this game is a win. Might want to add hitting shots the way they did against Houston.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Beating SMU twice goes a long ways towards an at large.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        If the Shox play anywhere near the level and intensity they showed against Houston, this game is a win. Might want to add hitting shots the way they did against Houston.
        What the heck are you guys talking about.? Its going to take more than effort to beat SMU. And all this talk about an at large bid if we sweep SMU is crazy. WTF Wufan?

I hope the coaching staff is smarter than this. SMU is going to be another tough game. The Shocks better focus on the game plan. Because K, Davis is the best pg in the league and some say the best player in the league. They say he can't be guarded.. He is so quick he can get to the cup whenever he wants to. When people go to help he dishes off for dunks and wide open 3 pointers. The battle between him and A LO of Memphis was a knife fight. And I am sure you guys remember what A LO did to the shocks.. SMU offense is rated higher than shocks and this year they are playing better defense. The Shocks need be prepared and ready for another tough game. Don't get caught looking ahead. The fight is right in front of you. Go Shocks.

Comment

Posted by TheShocktocles

"What the heck are you guys talking about.? Its going to take more than effort to beat SMU. And all this talk about an at large bid if we sweep SMU is crazy. WTF Wufan?"

Another negative and attacking post from TheShocktocles. The negative sh*t that comes from your keyboard is taxing.

Comment

Is Jank back ? If so, put me down for 2 WSU wins

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
              I’ll go even further and say that two wins against SMU and we’re a lock...as long as we don’t lose @Temple or @Tulane which is no guarantee.

I’ve been wondering if playing them twice in four days makes this task easier, harder, or about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                Two evenly matched teams winning twice within 3-4 days has got to be very low odds.

Comment

Going to be huge 2 weeks - but you got to love it! This is what players and fans should be living for!

Comment

I just wonder how many teams will drop out of the NCAA due to positive test results. I would think teams on the bubble that don’t make it should keep their bags packed.

Comment

This year's been hard to follow. Usually, the excitement builds, and then the league tournament, which I attend, and then the NCAA. I'm only following our team and I hope we make the tourney but it hasn't been the same this year. I wonder if the tournament will draw as many viewers as in the past.

Comment

Since joining the American WSU is 4-1 against SMU. The only loss came in 2017-2018 at the Roundhouse.

Obviously the best case scenario is a two game sweep but I’m not sure if that’s realistic.

1-1 is basically treading water in terms of our NCAA resume. Unless the American cancels one of the two Tulane/Temple games and replaces it with Memphis or @ Cincinatti these two might be our last chance at resume builders pending our matchups in the conference tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                          Since joining the American WSU is 4-1 against SMU. The only loss came in 2017-2018 at the Roundhouse.

Obviously the best case scenario is a two game sweep but I’m not sure if that’s realistic.

1-1 is basically treading water in terms of our NCAA resume. Unless the American cancels one of the two Tulane/Temple games and replaces it with Memphis or @ Cincinatti these two might be our last chance at resume builders pending our matchups in the conference tourney.
                          That stupid Shake Milton game ...

Comment

I really believe their are too many here that are, shall I say it, spoiled. That's not directly at anyone. I just think we need to be a more thankful where we currently are than where we could have been right now or where we might be (plus or minus) at the end of the season.

1) Large player defections and Jamie to graduation

2) Adding 7 new players, repeat 7 new players

3) The "Shaq Attack" and it's publicity

4) "Resignation" of our greatest head coach

5) New players not having the coach they signed up for

6) Existing players staying at WSU and not having the coach they stayed for

7) Because of the timing, forced to have an assistant coach take over

8) Picked to be 7th in the league

9) C O V I D !!!!!!! And all its problems it has created and we still have

And where are we?? 2/3s to 3/4s into the season and we just beat the #6 team in the NCAA, who also was 1st in the league, and we are now in 1st place.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I’ve been wondering if playing them twice in four days makes this task easier, harder, or about the same.
                              That's a good question. Ther.e have been a of teams playing back-to-back games this yeards due to Covid scheduling. I don't have any data on that but it just seems to me a lot of those games have been split. Obviosusly, if one team is far superior you would expect they would win both. But where both teams are pretty evenly matched as they are here I think it will be a big task for either the Shocks or SMU to win of these games. But that was probably true if they played a month apart as well. 1-1 would be okay with me and 2-0 perhaps a pleasant surprise but not out of the question. Of course, 0-2 not out of the question either.

A lot will depend on how the Shocks respond to the euphoria of beating Houston. Hopeully, they aren't thinking that theirdoesn't stink.

Comment

Working...
                              X