Wichita State vs. SMU Pregame Discussion 2-14-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

If a team can't play due to covid/weather/anything and the game doesn't get rescheduled, it should result in a forfeit at the conclusion of the season.
    Not sure I agree with that. It's not like the team's have any control over that or even much control over the protocols that they are required to follow. This year is just a clusterflop!

Comment

Glad to hear we’re working to move games around so we can hopefully ensure games next week. Would be nice to stay in some kind of rhythm as much as possible.

Comment

SMU x 2, Houston, Memphis, @Cincinnati are the games I’d like to see play as they’re all Q2 or above. With three weeks left before the conference tourney I have to believe it’s possible but I’m not going to look through everyone’s schedule and determine the feasibility.

It would be a tough end to the schedule but I think an argument could be made that playing only those top teams to close the season will hurt or help our chances of winning. All we can ask for is the chance at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Not sure I agree with that. It's not like the team's have any control over that or even much control over the protocols that they are required to follow. This year is just a clusterflop!
          C'est la vie ... if you don't show up, a forfeit is the only fair thing to do for the OTHER team that would have competed. Once you will not or cannot compete after a reasonable effort to reschedule in a timely manner, it's only fair to the other competitor that they are granted a win. This has been common practice in nearly all sports since antiquity, and for good reason.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

C'est la vie ... if you don't show up, a forfeit is the only fair thing to do for the OTHER team that would have competed. Once you will not or cannot compete after a reasonable effort to reschedule in a timely manner, it's only fair to the other competitor that they are granted a win. This has been common practice in nearly all sports since antiquity, and for good reason.
            So I guess the Shocks would have 3 more losses from the South Dakota Tournament. And then how are those factored into the rating metrics?

Comment

The only thing this would really affect though is Conference finish. It wouldn't affect performance metrics (NET, KenPom, BPI etc) ... while you would "technically" have a win over a particular team... the selection committee would likely ignore that in any conversations when deciding selection and seed.

Comment

So I guess the Shocks would have 3 more losses from the South Dakota Tournament. And then how are those factored into the rating metrics?
                Don't know how it would be factored in, but if BOTH teams were unable to play then it's a wash (DNP, no losses or wins dished out). If only WE were not able or willing to show up, yes, suck it up buttercup, and take the losses.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

The only thing this would really affect though is Conference finish. It wouldn't affect performance metrics (NET, KenPom, BPI etc) ... while you would "technically" have a win over a particular team... the selection committee would likely ignore that in any conversations when deciding selection and seed.
                  They wouldn't ignore it. They'd find a way to use it against us. :)

Comment

Shouldn't all the players on teams like ECU be immune to Covid-19 by now? I assume most, if not all of the players, should have had the virus.

Comment

As well as a forfeit, under the stupid AAC rules, would promote withholding of test results

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                        Glad to hear we’re working to move games around so we can hopefully ensure games next week. Would be nice to stay in some kind of rhythm as much as possible.
                        Once again, someone has brightened my day by giving me a good chuckle.

Comment

Just looked at KenPom and we are rated EIGHTY.
                          In front of us are teams like Kentucky at 5-13!

Drake and Loyloa Chicago are both above us.
                          Mississippi, who we beat at their house, is ranked 50.

This is ludicrous.

We never got any respect when we were in the Mo Valley.
                          We were always told we didn't beat anybody.
                          But once we got to the Big Dance we sure as hell beat people, the best teams in the country.

So, we are rewarded to move up to a bigger conference against better teams.
                          There is little doubt that playing Tulsa, Memphis, Houston, SMU and others is much more difficult than playing Indiana State, Southern Illinois, etc.

But THE MO VALLEY TEAMS ARE RATED SIGNIFICANTLY ABOVE US.

Explain this to me please.

It appears that a big win over a bad team is worth more than a close win over a good team;
                          And if you are in a "Power Conference," LOSING to good teams is worth more than WSU beating good teams.

The whole thing is bull^^^^.

It doesn't seem to matter what we do, somehow we get screwed.
                          We are perenially underrated.

Go figure.

Comment

I wonder how many teams will be DQ'd from the dance or if there will be a dance again this year? Now, what really is BS is
                            that Vegas ( the best source for rank ) would favor us against MANY of the teams ahead of us especially Drake and
                            Loyola.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                              Shouldn't all the players on teams like ECU be immune to Covid-19 by now? I assume most, if not all of the players, should have had the virus.
                              The CDC couldn't answer that.

Seriously.

Last edited by ShockingButTrue; February 12, 2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Rahm View Post
                                Just looked at KenPom and we are rated EIGHTY.
                                In front of us are teams like Kentucky at 5-13!

Drake and Loyloa Chicago are both above us.
                                Mississippi, who we beat at their house, is ranked 50.

This is ludicrous.

We never got any respect when we were in the Mo Valley.
                                We were always told we didn't beat anybody.
                                But once we got to the Big Dance we sure as hell beat people, the best teams in the country.

So, we are rewarded to move up to a bigger conference against better teams.
                                There is little doubt that playing Tulsa, Memphis, Houston, SMU and others is much more difficult than playing Indiana State, Southern Illinois, etc.

But THE MO VALLEY TEAMS ARE RATED SIGNIFICANTLY ABOVE US.

Explain this to me please.

It appears that a big win over a bad team is worth more than a close win over a good team;
                                And if you are in a "Power Conference," LOSING to good teams is worth more than WSU beating good teams.

The whole thing is bull^^^^.

It doesn't seem to matter what we do, somehow we get screwed.
                                We are perenially underrated.

Go figure.
                                We looked REAL bad on national tv against the Tigers would be the only reason I could think of.

Was it EIGHT airballs? Or NINE? Who on this board has ever heard of such a thing, excluding, of course, the Washington Generals.

Comment

Working...
                                X