Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recruiting Misses Over The Last Few Seasons...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recruiting Misses Over The Last Few Seasons...

I thought it would be interesting to see how many "misses" the shockernet posters could come up with.. I think the list could get pretty long... I think it is too early to judge first year players, but I will start with a few names off the top of my head.. (i would define "misses" as guys that will never start at least one full season):

Jared Young
    Chris Brown
    Ryan Bradley
    Wendel Preadom
    Brandon Sampay (Kid can't play/glad we do not have him on the roster for two years)

I have a feeling I am missing one or ten but lets see... Each of one of the listed scholarships could have gone to a talented starter on this year''s team.

Arbry Butler. Can we give his scholly to someone for 2nd semester? Someone actually interested in playing D1 ball?

And on a positive note, thanks go out to Brent Kemnitz for landing Paul Miller for us.

Comment

JY had the ability but couldn't keep his priorities straight. But I believe that was an issue even when they recruited him.

Chris Brown ended up with back issues that prevented his play. I guess it's still counted as a miss but the kid had talent and if healthy I still think would have contrinuted.

Along those same lines would be Zach Green. Knee injuries kept him from contributing.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Kurt Bangle
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

Wendell Preadom as a miss? Yeah, he's not the best offensive player, but he's proven to be an excellent defender and moves the ball around well on offense.

Comment

You have to also read that his definition of a miss is anyone who won't start one full season at WSU. Wendell won't so by HIS definition it counts. Personally, there's nothing wrong with role players. You need a few on every team. I like what Wendell does on D and wish he'd be more aggressive taking the ball to the hole on O at times.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
              You have to also read that his definition of a miss is anyone who won't start one full season at WSU. Wendell won't so by HIS definition it counts. Personally, there's nothing wrong with role players. You need a few on every team. I like what Wendell does on D and wish he'd be more aggressive taking the ball to the hole on O at times.
              Guess I missed that part, but I definitely don't agree with his definition of a miss.

Comment

Keep in mind that a lot of these misses were plan b and c when the previous coaching staff missed out on the a's.

Comment

How do you count Adam Liberty? Do you call him a half miss.

As I recall he played a lot for one season here and even started some games before leaving the program early.

Comment

While the definition for a miss is not perfect (6th man of the year would not be a miss), it is certainly reasonable.

WP is a miss. Hate to say it because he seems to be a good kid and puts out a lot of effort, but he is not a good D1 player.

- He was so unrecruited that we didn't even sign him, he just showed up.

- He is so offensively inept that he is not even a threat passing or shooting freethrows.

- Despite his effort, he is not big or athletic enough to be a lock-down defender.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989
                      How do you count Adam Liberty? Do you call him a half miss.

As I recall he played a lot for one season here and even started some games before leaving the program early.
                      I believe he was the starting PG his entire Soph season.

I don't think this was a miss. When AL left, I was very surprised to find out that his biggest complaint was how MT used him offensively. I remember most of the contibutors to this fine forum, including myself, thought that he needed to be more aggressive on the offensive end of the floor. Apparently, he thought the same thing and wasn't allowed to do it. I don't know that MT was wrong to limit him, after all, he is a good D1 head coach who knew what AL was or was not capable of doing. It was, however, interesting to find out that what many thought was AL being timid was, in fact, not timidness but following the coach's wishes against his own instincts.

Comment

misses

That kid named Green from Oklahoma - tall kid with kneee problems.

Comment

Originally posted by McShocker
                          WP is a miss. Hate to say it because he seems to be a good kid and puts out a lot of effort, but he is not a good D1 player.

- He was so unrecruited that we didn't even sign him, he just showed up.
                          Source?

Wendell was recruited in the Spring after Adam Liberty transferred. He had planned to attend prep school to increase his recruiting visablity but had been recruited by Evansville, Jacksonville State, Georgetown, Louisiana-Lafayette, Texas-San Antonio, UMass and Lamar.
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

Calvin Walls needs to be added.

I also have a bad feeling that there are a couple more on the current roster who haven't been named that will fall into this category as well. If you are getting less pt in games than a walk-on, or are the option after a walk-on, you're probably gonna fit into this category.

Comment

The guy I most wanted, and probably is the most skilled recruit we had a great shot at and lost is Ben Uzoh at TU.

By the way, Ben is LIGHTING IT UP for the GH. As a sophmore he is averaging 16.1 ppg, 6+ boards, 2 assists and 2 steals. He is the star of the team.

A leader and a difference maker for the 8-4 TGH.

Don't forget signed or commited players like Denzell Bowles (he would be playing for us), Evan Baker (may be hurt now but started 8-9 games averaging 10+ a game for Quinnipiac) and Guy (RIP) and Sampay who is certainly a servicable big man.

Comment

Working...
                              X