No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. Memphis Pregame Discussion 1-21-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How’s the Memphis media fanboys doing these days in regards to Penny? They were all drooling over him a couple years ago. Don’t tell me the fanboys are turning on him?
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
      This is silly.

Is Penny a great coach? No.
      Is he a terrible coach? No.

Is he a good coach? I would say it’s inconclusive and could be argued either way depending on what aspect of coaching you look at.

He is 20 games over .500 for his three year career. His teams are far above average defensively. He gets highly rated recruits but also has yet to really achieve the success you would expect with those recruits.

I have zero problem with Brown calling Penny a good coach. It’s not some far fetched statement. Even if I don’t agree, it’s coach speak. It would be beyond stupid to publicly criticize your opponent before a game.
      I believe he also has a winning record vs WSU still ...

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I believe he also has a winning record vs WSU still ...
        Can we all just compromise and say he's "a coach"?

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Can we all just compromise and say he's "a coach"?
          I think WE can call him whatever we want .. i just think the assertion that our coach during a media event calling him a good coach is a "bad look" ... is a little insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I think WE can call him whatever we want .. i just think the assertion that our coach during a media event calling him a good coach is a "bad look" ... is a little insane.
            Come on Stick, would have been fun to have IB call memphis a storied program with 5 star players and a sh1t coach.

I kid, I kid.

Comment

Good for you, you had all the time in the world to construct a PC response on your phone or keyboard. Isaac Brown is being asked questions on the spot. This is a ridiculous hill to die on.
              A coach at this level needs to be able to handle the media. Other coaches can do it. No reason why our coach can’t. Our former coach was very calculated with the media.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

A coach at this level needs to be able to handle the media. Other coaches can do it. No reason why our coach can’t. Our former coach was very calculated with the media.
                Calling Penny a good coach is hardly an example of his inability to handle the media.

Comment

Calling Penny a good coach is hardly an example of his inability to handle the media.
                  You just said he shouldn’t be expected to answer questions well. I’m saying yes he should be expected to if he wants to be the coach long term.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

You just said he shouldn’t be expected to answer questions well. I’m saying yes he should be expected to if he wants to be the coach long term.
                    You are REALLY digging deep now in your excuses why IB isn't fit.

Comment

I think it’s safe to say that Penny was a better player than coach.... he gets the 4 and 5 star players but hasn’t really produced yet on an elite type level. Kinda like Danny Manning ...

Comment

I pointed out the difference between answering a direct question on camera vs composing a message board post.

He should be expected to answer questions well and I’ve yet to hear any evidence that he’s not capable of doing so. Saying Penny is a good coach certainly doesn’t qualify as such.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodrow View Post
                          This will be a good game to measure Udeze's progress. This is the type of team he struggled with in the past. Hopefully he can avoid foul trouble and turnovers. He will need to pass it back out when their bigs are on top of him under the rim.
                          Agree, Udeze has to get better at kicking the ball out and that’s definitely not his strength. He’s improved on his post moves and is getting better every game. We need him to play 25 minutes or more and not get into early foul trouble.

Comment

Comment

People who care about the quality of their craft are very careful about specifically pointing out who they consider “good” because it reflects back on their standards. There is a difference between saying they are well coached and specifically calling Penny a good coach, especially since this is a long interview. It would be like telling potential investors in a theme park that Wild West World was a good investment.

Is it unreasonable to be prudent?
                              You all sound like a bunch of nitpicking witches. Who in the hell cares if one coach pays a compliment to another, or the proper term for doing so.
                              Glad I'm not your spouse.

Comment

Getting back on track here, Memphis has opened at a 3 point favorite and a ESPN Game Predictor of a 69.7% chance they win.

Comment

Working...
                                X