Wichita State vs. Memphis Pregame Discussion 1-21-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
    HCIB calling HCPH a good coach! That hasn't happened in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Wooglin View Post

HCIB calling HCPH a good coach! That hasn't happened in the past.
      Oof. That’s not a good look
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
        What's he supposed to say? Lol! "Penny sucks and there is no way he can coach his way out of a paper sack?"

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

What's he supposed to say? Lol! "Penny sucks and there is no way he can coach his way out of a paper sack?"
          Exactly. Coaches don’t say that about one another.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Actually it is a good look. A not good look is a coach calling out another coach in a media event prior to playing that team. Not only would that be a bad look, it would likely give extra motivation to Memphis Players.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Actually it is a good look. A not good look is a coach calling out another coach in a media event prior to playing that team. Not only would that be a bad look, it would likely give extra motivation to Memphis Players.
              Or he could have been more careful.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Or he could have been more careful.
                Please quote what you think is "more careful" than just giving the other coach a compliment (whether it's deserved or not). Careful insinuates there is a downside to that particular action. Besides triggering unreasonable fans, what is the potential downside to providing that compliment?

Comment

back on topic

The writers that actually watch basketball are taking notice ...

Comment

I was told Tyson was not and will not ever be a candidate for player of the year this year. Sorry, Jon.

Comment

Please quote what you think is "more careful" than just giving the other coach a compliment (whether it's deserved or not). Careful insinuates there is a downside to that particular action. Besides triggering unreasonable fans, what is the potential downside to providing that compliment?
                      People who care about the quality of their craft are very careful about specifically pointing out who they consider “good” because it reflects back on their standards. There is a difference between saying they are well coached and specifically calling Penny a good coach, especially since this is a long interview. It would be like telling potential investors in a theme park that Wild West World was a good investment.

Is it unreasonable to be prudent?

Comment

People who care about the quality of their craft are very careful about specifically pointing out who they consider “good” because it reflects back on their standards. There is a difference between saying they are well coached and specifically calling Penny a good coach, especially since this is a long interview. It would be like telling potential investors in a theme park that Wild West World was a good investment.

Is it unreasonable to be prudent?
                        If you are going to get nitpicky with words here .. I'd say that Penny being a good coach is closer to being true than the team being well-coached. Penny likely is a good coach in some aspects such as individual development of people with certain skill sets. He appears to do really well with big men. Not so much with guards ironically. He's definitely a good coach when it comes to recruiting.

Well coached means to me that the team plays well as a whole. That ... they absolutely do not.

So yes .. It's unreasonable to expect IB to use the exact wording you want him to use otherwise "it's a bad look".

Comment

If you are going to get nitpicky with words here .. I'd say that Penny being a good coach is closer to being true than the team being well-coached. Penny likely is a good coach in some aspects such as individual development of people with certain skill sets. He appears to do really well with big men. Not so much with guards ironically. He's definitely a good coach when it comes to recruiting.

Well coached means to me that the team plays well as a whole. That ... they absolutely do not.

So yes .. It's unreasonable to expect IB to use the exact wording you want him to use otherwise "it's a bad look".
                          That’s a hard spin to find a way to say Penny is a good coach. Penny is a good recruiter. Penny is a bad coach. If he were a good coach and if he were good at developing Wiseman would have stayed and Lomax would be all conference. They are poorly coached because they do not have a good coach.

My point is honesty. You search for something you can say honestly. Since you are insistent on finding out what I would say, it would be this: “Penny has done a hell of a job putting his team together. They have had a couple rough patches but we are not taking them lightly because they have the ability to beat you in every facet of the game.”

All of the above is true without giving any undo props.

Comment

This is silly.

Is Penny a great coach? No.
                            Is he a terrible coach? No.

Is he a good coach? I would say it’s inconclusive and could be argued either way depending on what aspect of coaching you look at.

He is 20 games over .500 for his three year career. His teams are far above average defensively. He gets highly rated recruits but also has yet to really achieve the success you would expect with those recruits.

I have zero problem with Brown calling Penny a good coach. It’s not some far fetched statement. Even if I don’t agree, it’s coach speak. It would be beyond stupid to publicly criticize your opponent before a game.

Comment

That’s a hard spin to find a way to say Penny is a good coach. Penny is a good recruiter. Penny is a bad coach. If he were a good coach and if he were good at developing Wiseman would have stayed and Lomax would be all conference. They are poorly coached because they do not have a good coach.

My point is honesty. You search for something you can say honestly. Since you are insistent on finding out what I would say, it would be this: “Penny has done a hell of a job putting his team together. They have had a couple rough patches but we are not taking them lightly because they have the ability to beat you in every facet of the game.”

All of the above is true without giving any undo props.
                              Good for you, you had all the time in the world to construct a PC response on your phone or keyboard. Isaac Brown is being asked questions on the spot. This is a ridiculous hill to die on.

Comment

Of course that is what he should say.

Comment

Working...
                                X