Wichita State vs. Tulsa Game Thread 1-13-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Dennis is working on his dribble drive and trying it. Unfortunately, he has trouble maneuvering while dribbling. But he's trying, and he's not getting pulled if he tries and ends up losing the ball. It seems that mistakes are tolerated if those mistakes are made in an effort to work on an area of a player's game that would benefit the team, but needs some repetitions in game situations.

Players do get pulled if they're having an off night and their replacement is having a better game (Gilbert/Porter vs. Cincy). That's probably more easily accepted by players than getting pulled for a single mistake. Gilbert had a great game, with 8 assists, on his nest outing.

The Shox pretty much shredded Tulsa's match-up zone like I've never seen a Shocker team shred a zone in recent memory. Tulsa switched to a man defense, because the D they used to be a highly respected defensive team wasn't working against the Shox.

There was a game earlier in the season where the Shox were having problems on D and switched into a zone and stayed in it, which totally disrupted the opponent in that game. I can't remember which game that was, was it Tulsa?
    Ok St.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

MU is a good example of a person who was almost led astray by the voices of people that did not know what they were talking about. In my opinion those people did not have MU best interest. He took some time off to get away by himself and figured out what was best for him. I was so happy when he said he was coming back to WSU. And we are all happy for him that he put in the time this summer to do what he needed to do to become a better player. That is what a mature man does. A mature man accepts his weakness and does something to remedy it. A mature man does not lie about his shortcomings. Free throw shooting is not a MU weakness now. Go Morris. And go Shocks.
      We were told by IB and MU that his 3 point shooting had improved and he was going to shoot them this year. I'm just glad, they changed their mind and he isn't shooting 3's anymore. It appears he has solved his FT problems, but his 3 point shot was a disaster early in the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

We were told by IB and MU that his 3 point shooting had improved and he was going to shoot them this year. I'm just glad, they changed their mind and he isn't shooting 3's anymore. It appears he has solved his FT problems, but his 3 point shot was a disaster early in the year.
        Disaster? He’s attempted two threes on the season. I agree he shouldn’t attempt anymore the rest of the season unless he has the ball with 1 on the shot clock.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Disaster? He’s attempted two threes on the season. I agree he shouldn’t attempt anymore the rest of the season unless he has the ball with 1 on the shot clock.
          Only a disaster in that he was fortunate if the shots he did take hit the rim. Everyone who saw it came to the same conclusion that you and I did.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Maybe I missed those statements by IB and MU. But I do recall specifically coach Marshall saying in an early press conference that MU was shooting 3 pointers. And many fans on Shocknet ask the question of whether Morris was making any 3 pointers. LOL I know I saw him take a 3 pointer against Oral Robert's and it was terrible. Right then I said I hope he doesn't shoot anymore of those.

Frankly since MU has developed a good stroke from the free throw line I hope he incorporates a good midrange shot in his game. Much like Carl Hall did.. Go shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Dennis is working on his dribble drive and trying it. Unfortunately, he has trouble maneuvering while dribbling. But he's trying, and he's not getting pulled if he tries and ends up losing the ball. It seems that mistakes are tolerated if those mistakes are made in an effort to work on an area of a player's game that would benefit the team, but needs some repetitions in game situations.

Players do get pulled if they're having an off night and their replacement is having a better game (Gilbert/Porter vs. Cincy). That's probably more easily accepted by players than getting pulled for a single mistake. Gilbert had a great game, with 8 assists, on his nest outing.

The Shox pretty much shredded Tulsa's match-up zone like I've never seen a Shocker team shred a zone in recent memory. Tulsa switched to a man defense, because the D they used to be a highly respected defensive team wasn't working against the Shox.

There was a game earlier in the season where the Shox were having problems on D and switched into a zone and stayed in it, which totally disrupted the opponent in that game. I can't remember which game that was, was it Tulsa?
              South Florida.

And then went back to man defense in the OT. Screwed 'em all up.

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                Words I never thought I'd ever say - Other than Tyson, there has been no other player I'd rather see get fouled than Udeze.
                What a huge advantage to have a big who can hit his free throws. Keep him near the basket and defenders are screwed.
                NOw if he'll just stop that single dribble while he pivots down low and keep the ball high, he would draw more fouls and reduce turnover chances

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Maybe I missed those statements by IB and MU. But I do recall specifically coach Marshall saying in an early press conference that MU was shooting 3 pointers. And many fans on Shocknet ask the question of whether Morris was making any 3 pointers. LOL I know I saw him take a 3 pointer against Oral Robert's and it was terrible. Right then I said I hope he doesn't shoot anymore of those.

Frankly since MU has developed a good stroke from the free throw line I hope he incorporates a good midrange shot in his game. Much like Carl Hall did.. Go shocks.
                  We have seen our post men over the years develop an occasional 3-point game over time. Stutz, Durley, Shaq for example. All three of them were reasonably good with how frequent and what situations they shot the 3. I don't have any problems with Udeze proving to himself and the rest of us that he is not in that group. I also don't have any issues with him working on it over the off season to prove it again next year. I only hope he has the self regulation part of emotional intelligence down pat to keep him from shooting, much like this year.

Comment

• Hi Is Joerg.

All Shox FAN quite week end no, game so boringed. So tell joking Joerg hear atwork frien at diper factry job...

Guy 1 say How # letter US alfbet?

Guy 2 say 26 letter. DUH

Guy 1 say no. Is 24 letter. ET goes home. Hehehehe

All Shox fan GOOD week end! Beans Soop. And whiskey for Joerg.

Thanks is Joerg

Comment

• Post-game comment by IHCIB:

… His team playing for the full 40 minutes:
                      "Yes, I thought they battled for 40 minutes. I thought they had one spurt where we couldn't make shots. We didn't defend for a second, but all of a sudden, those guys stayed together, they defended at a high level, they rebounded, and they started sharing the ball. I mean, I'm so excited about Alterique Gilbert just the fact he had eight assists tonight. I think that's his high. I've been telling him you got to do that a lot more You know Tyson (Tyson Etienne) was making shots. We got good minutes out of Ricky (Ricky Council IV) off the bench Clarence Jackson made an energy play that was huge, and those guys are just getting better every game every. We got a new team, and those guys are really gelling together."

That spurt of about 7:00 minutes in the 2nd half when Tulsa went on a 14-2 run to close to within 5 at 42-47 definitely was a cold spell putting it mildly. The Shocks opened up the 2nd half 3-4 from the field with the only miss a Dexter 3-pointer that was rebounded and dunked by Trey plus 2-2 from the line for Dexter as the Shocks stretched their lead to 17 points at 45-28 with 16:37 remaining in the game. Then game the huge momentum breaker when the Shocks had a steal when Tyson tipped the ball to Alterique ahead of the pack but Alterique's funky layup attempt missed with some credit to good hustle by one of the Tulsa players and Tulsa transitioned to the other end for the And-1 three point play. At the 9:43 mark Tulsa scored to make it 42-47.

During that 7 minute stretch the shocks were 0-9 from the field (including 2 blocked shots and 5 missed three pointers) and 2-4 from the line by Tyson.

On the next possession Quatro made his drive down the middle of the lane, got fouled and made the free throw to push the lead back to 50-42 a which point the Shocks settled down before pulling away over the last 4 minutes of the game.

A good example of the bend but don't break resiliency that Lambo observed in his interview on the Drive that afternoon before the game. It would be nice though not to bend quite so much and for so long.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        Post-game comment by IHCIB:

… His team playing for the full 40 minutes:
                        "Yes, I thought they battled for 40 minutes. I thought they had one spurt where we couldn't make shots. We didn't defend for a second, but all of a sudden, those guys stayed together, they defended at a high level, they rebounded, and they started sharing the ball. I mean, I'm so excited about Alterique Gilbert just the fact he had eight assists tonight. I think that's his high. I've been telling him you got to do that a lot more You know Tyson (Tyson Etienne) was making shots. We got good minutes out of Ricky (Ricky Council IV) off the bench Clarence Jackson made an energy play that was huge, and those guys are just getting better every game every. We got a new team, and those guys are really gelling together."

That spurt of about 7:00 minutes in the 2nd half when Tulsa went on a 14-2 run to close to within 5 at 42-47 definitely was a cold spell putting it mildly. The Shocks opened up the 2nd half 3-4 from the field with the only miss a Dexter 3-pointer that was rebounded and dunked by Trey plus 2-2 from the line for Dexter as the Shocks stretched their lead to 17 points at 45-28 with 16:37 remaining in the game. Then game the huge momentum breaker when the Shocks had a steal when Tyson tipped the ball to Alterique ahead of the pack but Alterique's funky layup attempt missed with some credit to good hustle by one of the Tulsa players and Tulsa transitioned to the other end for the And-1 three point play. At the 9:43 mark Tulsa scored to make it 42-47.

During that 7 minute stretch the shocks were 0-9 from the field (including 2 blocked shots and 5 missed three pointers) and 2-4 from the line by Tyson.

On the next possession Quatro made his drive down the middle of the lane, got fouled and made the free throw to push the lead back to 50-42 a which point the Shocks settled down before pulling away over the last 4 minutes of the game.

A good example of the bend but don't break resiliency that Lambo observed in his interview on the Drive that afternoon before the game. It would be nice though not to bend quite so much and for so long.
                        Well good thing it took them 7 minutes to get within 5 points. All Wichita st. needed was one guy to make a play or two keep the momentum going but they got content and hope they see that on film. It cost them in Houston almost against USF and Tulsa. I'm sure by late February this team will know what its about and what it takes to be a contender.

Comment

Working...
                        X