Wichita State vs. Tulsa Game Thread 1-13-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I thought we actually had a bunch of open looks by the guys we want shooting threes - Tyson and Dexter - they just didn’t go in.
    If we are hitting shots, I agree that there wasn’t a bad shot during that time. But momentum makes a difference and why do we go 0-10 (from 3) or whatever during 1/4 of the game. Sometimes it’s better (or at least after 5-6 misses in a row from 3) to manipulate the defense, penetrate, and kick out, or if possible get an easy basket/layin which will increase momentum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Haith has a W over Houston. Tulsa's only 2 losses are to WSU. I know they had a soft schedule last year, but they did tie for the league championship, which means they didn't get Evansville'd often. Haith isn't as bad a coach as a lot of posters on SN would like to think. Tied for first last year and top 3 this year with a W over a top-15 team? That's a fairly salty resume.
      Wasn't he Coach of the Year in AAC last year?

Comment

• Just got back to Topeka from the game. Excellent game plan by the Shocks! DD shut down Rachel. Overall defense was excellent! This team has some mojo going! Good win tonight! Mo was a beast! We have a lot of nice players.

Comment

• I said this earlier but if Dexter can start making a decent amount of those open threes we will be very hard to guard.
          I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
            Really a good win, Udeze best game as a Shocker. He’s really improved on his free throw shooting to where it’s not a liability. His footwork is improving and he seems to really want to be the number one “5” man. We have the guard play to really match up with most teams, and we’re young with Etienne and Council. Wade has been playing better as of late and we need him to be good to very good more often and we will be a pretty good handful in the American.
            Tonight, We were a much better team when MU was in the game tonight. His rebounding was much better. Hopefully a good sign.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Haven't changed my underwear since Cincinnati. You're welcome.
              With all the covid quarantines and the people who self-isolate to avoid exposure, there's not as much reason to change underwear as there is in normal times.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Great game, some frustrating moments, but in the end well coached and well played.

Quick Note from my research on stats from ESPN app. 3 starters that like to shoot the 3 ball:
                AG at 25% this season
                DD at 30% this season
                TW at 20% this season

Imagine how good we could be if they actually shot like in 2019-2020!

BUT...I love this team and know they will only get better!

Comment

• In watching the replay of the play where Craig Porter injured his knee it looked like Elijah Joiner caughted him in the knee with his knee as Craig went past him. Hopefully, it is mostly a bone bruise which can be pretty painful but generally not too serious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                    Hope the guys keep focused during the longer layoff. Would be nice to somehow squeeze in ECU, assuming they would have already said something if it was going to happen though.
                    I don't see how the ECU game could be squeezed in during this layoff. ECU has a home game Saturday against Temple and a road game against South Florida on Wednesday. The best they could probably do is travel here after their Saturday game to have a Monday game and immediately travel after that game to Florida for the game against South Florida. I wouldn't want to play that stretch of games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

If we are hitting shots, I agree that there wasn’t a bad shot during that time. But momentum makes a difference and why do we go 0-10 (from 3) or whatever during 1/4 of the game. Sometimes it’s better (or at least after 5-6 misses in a row from 3) to manipulate the defense, penetrate, and kick out, or if possible get an easy basket/layin which will increase momentum.
                      If you do that, you tell your shooters that you don't have confidence in them. You can't do that. Etienne hit a really cold spel tonight, but he ended up with 5/12 from 3. That's 41.67%
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
                        Really a good win, Udeze best game as a Shocker. He’s really improved on his free throw shooting to where it’s not a liability. .
                        At 82%, his FT shooting is an asset.
                        Last year it was 48%.

Remarkable.

Comment

• Since Turgeon's first year, WSU is 15-5 vs Tulsa.

During the Cohen, Thompson, Smithson era, Tulsa was 15-5 over WSU. Kinda random.

Tulsa won 13 in a row from from 92-92 to 02-03.

Matchup Finder | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

Comment

• The kid said over the Summer he was back in Houston running sprints.The proverbial light has come on for this one. He didn't need a coach instructing (pleading) him on the Basics of The Fittest. GGG is proud!

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Haith has a W over Houston. Tulsa's only 2 losses are to WSU. I know they had a soft schedule last year, but they did tie for the league championship, which means they didn't get Evansville'd often. Haith isn't as bad a coach as a lot of posters on SN would like to think. Tied for first last year and top 3 this year with a W over a top-15 team? That's a fairly salty resume.
                              Well, I obviously stand alone on my opinion of Frank and that's ok....sure he's a fine guy....

just not a very good coach....but it is TOTALLY all good!

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Well, I obviously stand alone on my opinion of Frank and that's ok....sure he's a fine guy....

just not a very good coach....but it is TOTALLY all good!
                                No issue with that.

I just observed a good passing offense last night and a good, disciplined, press. It's not hard to imagine, with that kind of play, how they've beaten Houston twice in the last 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X