Wichita State vs. Tulsa Game Thread 1-13-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
    Since Turgeon's first year, WSU is 15-5 vs Tulsa.

During the Cohen, Thompson, Smithson era, Tulsa was 15-5 over WSU. Kinda random.

Tulsa won 13 in a row from from 92-92 to 02-03.

Matchup Finder | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

90s Tulsa had Shea Seals. 90s WSU had Rick Conn. How did we win 5 of 20?
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Comment

At 82%, his FT shooting is an asset.
        Last year it was 48%.

REMARKABLE
        FIFY

Comment

• Udeze is the sixth-highest in the conference on free throw accuracy.

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

Comment

At 82%, his FT shooting is an asset.
            Last year it was 48%.

Remarkable.
            It's unnatural. He is currently our best FT shooter by percentage.

If he continues to be moderately effective down low, defenses won't be inclined to employ the Hack-a-Mo tactic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
              Udeze is the sixth-highest in the conference on free throw accuracy.

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

I'll take "inconceivable predictions for 2020-21" for $1000, [Insert Jeopardy! guest host name here].

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

If you do that, you tell your shooters that you don't have confidence in them. You can't do that. Etienne hit a really cold spel tonight, but he ended up with 5/12 from 3. That's 41.67%
                He's hitting 37% for the year from 3. When he actually feels it, fine shoot a 27 footer, but you can't just say he always feels it when he's only shooting 37% Landry was a 44 or so percent shooter from 3. I think that Tyson should be at least a 40-45% shooter. I'm not saying he shouldn't shoot those very long shots, but when the whole team is hitting a cold spell, with an 8 minute, zero point period, 0-6 or 8, during that time span, he can get a good 3, especially against the Tulsa zone which gives away 3's like candy. He also took two 3's in a row from 25' on the same possession during the first half. Again, Tulsa gives away 3's anytime you want.

They shouldn't put handcuffs on him, or make a huge deal of it, but they need to talk to him about what constitutes a good shot while watching film.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

He's hitting 37% for the year from 3. When he actually feels it, fine shoot a 27 footer, but you can't just say he always feels it when he's only shooting 37% Landry was a 44 or so percent shooter from 3. I think that Tyson should be at least a 40-45% shooter. I'm not saying he shouldn't shoot those very long shots, but when the whole team is hitting a cold spell, with an 8 minute, zero point period, 0-6 or 8, during that time span, he can get a good 3, especially against the Tulsa zone which gives away 3's like candy. He also took two 3's in a row from 25' on the same possession during the first half. Again, Tulsa gives away 3's anytime you want.

They shouldn't put handcuffs on him, or make a huge deal of it, but they need to talk to him about what constitutes a good shot while watching film.
                  Exactly. 25-footers on, set and balanced, are not bad. 20-footers, half open and off-balance, are bad

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Exactly. 25-footers, set and balanced, are not bad. 20-footers, half open and off-balance, are bad

Comment

• I am surprised that TE and DD are not shooting a higher percentage from the free throw line. I thought last year both were close to 80%. And agree some fine tuning on what is a good shot for TE will probably make his percentage of 3 point shooting rise. Go Shocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                        Dream scenario: Ricky and Dex burying 3s
                        It was the 3rd three in a row, and every one of them a "5" in my book. In rhythm, good shooters and either open or WIDE open. This team's A game is up tempo and aggressive and that's what those shots were. A 6 point game became 15 and Coach Haith didn't even have time to get a TO.

There was good noise in the arena after Dex's 3 and a lot of noise after RCIV's 2nd three, I can't imagine how loud it would have been under normal conditions. Probably in that noise class just below 2004 SIU or Valentine's Day Massacre ear bleeding levels. In the significant pain/possible long term damage area.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Well, I obviously stand alone on my opinion of Frank and that's ok....sure he's a fine guy....
                          I don't have a firm opinion on Haith. However, a couple of comments that might give minor credence to your opinion.

-----He definitely doesn't have the fan support or the team that Nolan Richardson had. They used to fill their building, and be competitive nationally. Now WSU fans fill their building, and they are only competitive within the league with an occasional year like last year. Of course, we aren't to that national level at this moment either.
                          -----We recruit similarly with juco players and 3* players, but we've also got some 4* players occasionally (Landry and Markis), and we've had some mid-range to low range recruits who blew up like Fred and Ron. He often goes the sloppy seconds route with 4 year transfers who sit out. Of course that will change with the new transfer rule. (This might not mean a thing because his teams are very competitive, but not with us during the past recent years as we have dominated Tulsa mostly).
                          -----He developed a really bad reputation after Miami, when he took really talented Mike Anderson group at Missouri down the drain. Missouri wasn't very good during that time, finishing toward the bottom of the Big 12 every year.

Comment

• I think the Alterique Gilbert transformation continued last night. It’s easy to forget he’s brand new to the program and has room to grow even though he’s a 5th year senior.

He seems to be looking to pass first now and is more confident where the shots will be within the offense.

We were so short handed early in the year that we really needed him to score as much as he could. Now we’re better served by him as the floor general who runs the show. As he evolves he should continue get a better feel for when he needs to take a back seat and when he needs to go get a bucket.

And of course his on ball defense is really good. It’s nice to have guards who can stay between their man and and the basket by moving their feet and not fouling all the time.

Comment

• Fred was a 4 star, at least borderline. Ron was not even in the rating system.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                                I think the Alterique Gilbert transformation continued last night. It’s easy to forget he’s brand new to the program and has room to grow even though he’s a 5th year senior.

He seems to be looking to pass first now and is more confident where the shots will be within the offense.

We were so short handed early in the year that we really needed him to score as much as he could. Now we’re better served by him as the floor general who runs the show. As he evolves he should continue get a better feel for when he needs to take a back seat and when he needs to go get a bucket.

And of course his on ball defense is really good. It’s nice to have guards who can stay between their man and and the basket by moving their feet and not fouling all the time.
                                agree. When AG penetrates, it might look like he's dribbling with no intent but he's looking for someone to make a cut and get open near the basket. Our guys have to figure out how to improvise when AG makes his move. It started happening more last night with Mo. He even had a few kickouts to the 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X