Wichita State vs. Tulsa Game Thread 1-13-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Did Frank steal a lover, run over your dog or take your mother out for a nice seafood dinner then never call her again?

I get he’s probably not going to win a national championship or anything but he’s outperformed their pre season rank like every year and has finished first twice in the time he’s been there.
    Those are all good lines and I DID chuckle but he has defined “ mediocrity “ at three schools, had at least one brush with NCAA infractions and appears to take naps in games.... if not for Penny, he’s a lock for worst coach in the league... lightning in a bottle last year

Comment

• Good win. We played about 30 really good minutes, and I thought the effort was pretty much there consistently. I thought our defense was great all night, and it helped that Tulsa didn't attack much and missed shots. Defensive rebounding continues to drive me nuts.

Mo can continue to be an effective offensive option if he makes a move and sticks with it. The time and complexity that some of his moves entail typically lead to turnovers or traps. Hope he continues to attack quickly or pass back out to the guards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

That’s why I asked if it was a torn ligament. If it’s a meniscus, he should be able to come back in 1-2 weeks, maybe 2-4 if he needs surgery.
        I didn't get a chance to examine him at halftime, but clearly he's hurt. At best he's limping and rehabbing for 2 weeks and playing through pain. At worst we need AG for 39.5 minutes.

I understand some frustration with the occasional AG play, but he controls the game and his defense is WAY underrated. Dude locks up guys and doesn't foul. GREAT defender. That decision up 17 on the break though was nearly catastrophic. He's going and SHOULD get a long leash because of the commitment he's made to WSU.

Trey Wade was VERY solid tonight. Played within himself, efficient, tough and against excellent defense.

Mo was great. Period. Give the man his groceries.

Gotta LOVE CJ's energy. Gotta control CJ's energy.

Dex plays so hard. I kind of wish he'd show more positive emotion, but I think that's just him being him. Love that kid.

RCIV my goodness young man.

Tevin had a huge 6 minutes. He guarded his ass off and they were big minutes. Hopefully he got a feel for how he can help this team, because he definitely can and we may have to demand he does.

So Tyson...…..Not sure what to say here. He might be the toughest player in the league, he's certainly one of them. He might be the best defender in the league, he's certainly of them. He might be the most charismatic, he's certainly one of them. He might be the most marketable, he's certainly one of them. Right now though he's the BEST player in the league, and in my mind it's not debatable. There's a word or name I want to use, but I can't because it's not fair but this kid has it ALL, right now, and he is a freaking joy to watch.

These guys played their hearts out tonight against a pretty darned solid team. Wish they could play in front of a full house. They deserve to hear the support of a rockin' Chuck.

Comment

• Hey Doc, my phone is jacked up, couldn't answer you

Comment

• Kenpom updated and we almost have a top 50 adjusted offense (58) while our defense finally joined the top 100!

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
              Those are all good lines and I DID chuckle but he has defined “ mediocrity “ at three schools, had at least one brush with NCAA infractions and appears to take naps in games.... if not for Penny, he’s a lock for worst coach in the league... lightning in a bottle last year
              Have you seen his preseason conference predictions vs where his team finishes stat? He has literally never finished worse than his preseason rating and many times way overachieved. This is a weird hill to die on.

Comment

• Really a good win, Udeze best game as a Shocker. He’s really improved on his free throw shooting to where it’s not a liability. His footwork is improving and he seems to really want to be the number one “5” man. We have the guard play to really match up with most teams, and we’re young with Etienne and Council. Wade has been playing better as of late and we need him to be good to very good more often and we will be a pretty good handful in the American.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockAzs View Post

So many ingredients this year. Not only was it addition by subtraction, but we added MAJOR pieces. This is in part to the upgrade to the American.... But also a testament to the Program built here.

Thank you to ALL that were involved in building to this. It is just about the best results I could have hoped for so far.
                  Definitely a culture my brother! Definitely a winning culture!!!

FINAL FOURS:
                  1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                  1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                  Number of Times Ranked: 157
                  Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                  Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                  Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                  #3 - Dec. 2017
                  #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                  #2 ~ March 2014
                  Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I didn't get a chance to examine him at halftime, but clearly he's hurt. At best he's limping and rehabbing for 2 weeks and playing through pain. At worst we need AG for 39.5 minutes.

I understand some frustration with the occasional AG play, but he controls the game and his defense is WAY underrated. Dude locks up guys and doesn't foul. GREAT defender. That decision up 17 on the break though was nearly catastrophic. He's going and SHOULD get a long leash because of the commitment he's made to WSU.

Trey Wade was VERY solid tonight. Played within himself, efficient, tough and against excellent defense.

Dex plays so hard. I kind of wish he'd show more positive emotion, but I think that's just him being him. Love that kid.

Tevin had a huge 6 minutes. He guarded his ass off and they were big minutes. Hopefully he got a feel for how he can help this team, because he definitely can and we may have to demand he does.

So Tyson...…..Not sure what to say here. He might be the toughest player in the league, he's certainly one of them. He might be the best defender in the league, he's certainly of them. He might be the most charismatic, he's certainly one of them. He might be the most marketable, he's certainly one of them. Right now though he's the BEST player in the league, and in my mind it's not debatable. There's a word or name I want to use, but I can't because it's not fair but this kid has it ALL, right now, and he is a freaking joy to watch.

These guys played their hearts out tonight against a pretty darned solid team. Wish they could play in front of a full house. They deserve to hear the support of a rockin' Chuck.
                    I agree with you about Tyson. It was obvious last year he was special. He is the best player in the conference I believe. RC4 is one of the best if not the best freshmen in the league. Thanks to Coach Marshall for signing the type of players we love in Wichita. Thanks to IHCIB for helping pick up where Coach left off and keeping the Shocker winning tradition rolling along.
                    I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                      My lucky sweat shirt run continues.
                      Haven't changed my underwear since Cincinnati. You're welcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

This was so good it deserved to be repeated. Thanks Doc

Comment

• Craig porter held out as a precaution per Taylor, not believed to be long term. Glad we have solid depth behind him to withstand it either way.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                            Craig porter held out as a precaution per Taylor, not believed to be long term. Glad we have solid depth behind him to withstand it either way.
                            Wade is a good player too, but I think that Porter has so many good different skills that he could be a special PG or shooting guard. AG is good too though.

Comment

• With the 19 point win, Wichita State is a legitimate frontrunner in the American. Wow!
                              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                                Haith has a W over Houston. Tulsa's only 2 losses are to WSU. I know they had a soft schedule last year, but they did tie for the league championship, which means they didn't get Evansville'd often. Haith isn't as bad a coach as a lot of posters on SN would like to think. Tied for first last year and top 3 this year with a W over a top-15 team? That's a fairly salty resume.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X