Gal Mekel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gal Mekel

I was blasted on here for calling him out a couple nights ago..

Tonight, he got a 10 second violation called on him.

He scored 2 points? I believe on 2 free throws.

The offense had zero flow to it.

The crowd practically had to yell at him to get down the floor considering we needed points quickly.

I'd like to hear back from the peanut gallery on this one..
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

The 10 second call was just as much on the other 4 on the court. Gal didn't shoot well and does dribble too dang much. I believe coach said he had a number of rebounds which was good and he played well on D.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Re: Gal Mekel

Originally posted by ShockerFever

The crowd practically had to yell at him to get down the floor considering we needed points quickly.

It's the wrong time to pile on any specific player... they all need and deserve your (our) support.
      :good:
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I think Gal played good tonight, at least better than what he usually does. Had what, 1 turnover? He did shoot too much and would've been better off trying to pass the ball more. I remember one time where Marshall took Gal out of the game and yelled at him for dribbling too much. Marshall just needs to do that more and maybe Gal will learn.

I would like to see Michael play a bit more though. He played good enough those 6 minutes, IMO, to be able to get some more shots at playing. Gal and Michael are the only options as of now.

On the last play of the game, I would've rather had Gal take the ball up the court slowly getting a play in, instead of hurrying it up and having the last 10 seconds be a total mess like it was.

Comment

I think I'll just say that if Gal is to remain the PG from here on out, that the Shocks will be lucky to win another basketball game. Very lucky.

I liked BM's play at the point. He wasn't flashy, just did what he had to do. I'd rather see BM at the point and making the mistakes and at least LEARNING from them.

Let's be honest, a number of players didn't play well tonight, Gal just shoulders much of the blame for poor decision making (time and time again.) :(

Comment

Re: Gal Mekel

Originally posted by WstateU
            Originally posted by ShockerFever

It's the wrong time to pile on any specific player... they all need and deserve your (our) support.
            :good:
            I'm not piling on one single player. Gal didn't lose the game for us. He and the rest of the team contributed to it.

Judging by the crowd reaction throughout the course of the game, I'd say most would rather have Bret Michael out there than GM.

I will say he did slow down at times where he could have easily just tried to throw a ball up against 3 defenders.

He played good defense? (Directed at Sub) WTF game were you watching? His man got wide open shots a good chunk of the game and led to some big 3's. Marshall had to call him out several times and gave him an absolute earful on the sidelines.

If you weren't actually at the game and watched what happened, I don't think you can comment in this thread.

To the rest of the peanut gallery who saw the game live.. I 'd really like to see your responses on this one.

*Waiting in suspense*...
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Gal had a frustrating game tonight. I think he had about 6 rebounds tonight---around 1 assist and 1 turnover? Not sure on the final stats. Nobody helped him on the 10 second call but he does indeed dribble too much. For some reason, he has not been in the flow of our offense much this year. Then he compounds it by forcing the issue with too much 1 on 1, which does not set well with HCGM or "Rocking Chair Coach-Not FSF." Hopefully, he will get tuned in and put some points on the board. He is a good passer and some where around 25-26 from the free-throw line which is awesome. I liked the way Coach brought him to the bench for a chat early in the game when he missed a key assignment. Come on Gal!!! We KNOW you can and will get things clicking.
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

He got ripped for not blocking out. His D wasn't bad. No worse than some of the others who allowed wide open shots. But in a zone that's going to happen sometimes. And that's where they got most of the open looks.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Sub, were you at the game?
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

No, but I watched from home. And it is possible that I missed some things from here as I'm only allowed to see what they show me. But he's been much worse.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

All year Matt has been crossing the line with 26-27 seconds showing on the clock and I haven't heard much from the crowd. Gal does the same thing tonight and the crowd was getting on him in the first half. It's been this way with players in the past were for whatever reason the get more of the negative focus then others. Doesn't always make sense.

Comment

Has Matt been called for a 10 sec violation this year or ever for that matter?
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by dregn
                          All year Matt has been crossing the line with 26-27 seconds showing on the clock and I haven't heard much from the crowd. Gal does the same thing tonight and the crowd was getting on him in the first half. It's been this way with players in the past were for whatever reason the get more of the negative focus then others. Doesn't always make sense.
                          I agree... does Mike Jones ring a bell for anyone?
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

No names, but some players don't fight through or hustle around screens the way a typical Division 1 player would (or should.) Of course, not everyone shoots FTs the way a Division 1 player should, and few players boxed out tonight the way they should.

I'm really honestly impressed it was as close as it was, I didn't figure we could keep up with the Redbirds. We had no Clemente and no MB (both starters FWIW, and the offense begins with MB) so the fact that we kept it close is remarkable. Oh, and I stayed until the very end hoping it would go to OT, but the Shocks didn't use their last time out like I wanted. :D

Comment

Why were the other 4 below the FT line the whole time? Why wasn't anyone setting a screen to free him up? Why wasn't someone coming to the ball to help him out? Sure, in the books that one goes on Gal, but it was a team effort. He was working against someone much quicker than he is and should have had someone notice he was having trouble and help him out.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X