Wichita State vs. #11 Houston Pregame Discussion 1-6-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State vs. #11 Houston Pregame Discussion 1-6-21

WICHITA STATE (6-2, 2-0) vs #11 HOUSTON (7-1, 2-1)
    WEDNESDAY, JAN 6, 2021 | 7:00 P.M. CT
    HOUSTON, TX./ FERTITTA CENTER
    TV: ESPN+
    RADIO: KEYN 103.7 FM (GoShockers.com/Listen)
    LAST MEETING: February 9, 2020 in Houston

GAME RECAP: Not much went right for Wichita State in a 76-43 loss at No. 25/25 Houston on Sunday afternoon at the Fertitta Center.

Dexter Dennis scored 10 points and collected six rebounds for the Shockers (17-6, 5-5 American) who suffered their most-lopsided defeat (33 points) since 2003.

Jaime Echenique grabbed a team-high seven rebounds to go with seven points, three steals and a block.

Quentin Grimes scored 14 points to lead a group of five double-digit scorers for Houston (19-5, 9-2), which took over sole possession of first-place after losses by co-leaders Tulsa and Cincinnati earlier in the day.

He was joined by DeJon Jarreau (12 points, seven rebounds), Marcus Sasser (11 points), Caleb Mills (11 points) and Nate Hinton (10 points, nine rebounds).

Wichita State missed 17 of its first 21 shots. Houston capitalized with runs of 16-2 and 9-0 to build a 38-18 halftime lead. It was the Shockers first 20-point halftime deficit in more than a dozen years.

Houston turned WSU's 10 first-half turnovers into 14 points.

The Shockers committed just two more turnovers in the second half but never found their shooting touch.

WSU made just two three-point field goals on 24 attempts and finished the game at 26.4 percent from the field.

Houston – which entered the day ranked second nationally in rebound margin – won the battle of the boards 44-30. The hosts shot an even 50 percent from the field.

The Shockers' four assists tied a Marshall Era low. WSU had four in a 70-69 neutral court win over LSU on Dec. 18, 2010.

The loss was WSU's fifth in seven games on the heels of a 15-1 start.

Houston won its fifth-straight in the series and narrowed the Shockers' all-time lead to 17-14. WSU is 3-10 all-time in Houston (0-2 at the Fertitta Center).

WSU ends the weekend alone in sixth-place in the AAC race – a game back of SMU and Memphis, which are both 6-4.
    Last edited by wichshock65; January 4, 2021, 01:36 PM.

Seems so far ago... I love what has happened so far, but I see no way the Shocks match up in this one....hope I’m wrong...
    Cougars 70
    Shockers 60

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the Shox live this year. Hope I don’t have to put a bag on my head like the last few years in Houston.

Comment

This one will be tough ... The only thing I can say with near certainty is that unlike the past 2 years ... I don't think this team will roll over and give up if Houston gets up big.

Comment

Think Ole Miss only with better post play, more moxie and better coaching. Or perhaps Mizzou with a little less experience. Shocks will have to play their best game of the season to be competitive. BUT, they have reasons to be confident.

Comment

Damnit I hate posting ******* ... But this is potentially big news if this extends to Wednesday

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
              Damnit I hate posting ******* ... But this is potentially big news if this extends to Wednesday

Any idea what's up with him?

Comment

Comment

What I EXPECTED Mumbles to say would haveinvluded” disgraced Gregg Marshall is somehow at fault”

Comment

I’m sure IF we beat Houston this week, he will make a point to not give our boys the credit they deserve and use Caleb as one of the reasons.

Comment

His “source” must have moved from Wichita to Houston
                      Last edited by shoxlax; January 3, 2021, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Don’t post that losers quotes on this site, please.

Comment

From the Houston board :

"I’m told he packed up, left and is back home. Will he return? My guess is no."

Im sure ******* has started a 6 month long investigation. There are reports that KS slapped Mills on the chest during a timeout in the Tulsa game .....

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                            From the Houston board :

"I’m told he packed up, left and is back home. Will he return? My guess is no."

Im sure ******* has started a 6 month long investigation. There are reports that KS slapped Mills on the chest during a timeout in the Tulsa game .....
                            If true, there will be video. Who are you going to believe KS, or the lying video ?

Comment

Houston is just fine without Mills. He's only played half their games anyway averaging less than 20 minutes per. Still have 9 regulars, all athletic and a top 50 coach of all time.

Comment

Working...
                              X