• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JMAN_KC View Post

No answer in Manhattan?? Funny how that works
    They are playing tonight.

Comment

When it comes to nut cutting time in March for the tournament, playing two Non-D1 programs will in all likelihood be used against Wichita State rather than in our favor. Now, such accommodations for COVID difficulties will in all likelihood be made for a school from a “P5” conference. That is why I am “butt hurt” because of the exploitive and hypocritical nature of the NCAA and its selection committee.

Heck look at football 9-2 Army true “student athletes” snubbed for a bowl game while P5 gutter sluts like 4-6 Kentucky (Gator Bowl), 4-5 Ole Miss (Outback Bowl), 3-7 Arkansas (Texas Bowl), 3-6 Tennessee (Liberty Bowl), 3-7 Mississippi State (the Armed Forces Bowl for fooks sake), and 2-8 South Carolina in whatever the heck the Gasparilla Bowl is. Even 3 loss North Carolina is in the Orange Bowl over Army and 2 schools who finished ahead of UNC in the ACC.

Do reasonably minded people believe March Madness selection will be much it any different? I do not. I will cheer the Shocks on regardless of who or where they play.

Go Shocks!
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Meh.

I still say there is more to lose than gain by playing Newman.
        First it was WSU, specifically Boatright, is an idiot saving long distance minutes by not doing what other teams are and scheduling these great replacement games at the drop of a hat when one gets cancelled.

When it turns out that WSU did call around to better teams than Newman but couldn’t work something out the rallying cry is “we should just not play a game at all” which would then leave 11 days between @USF and @Ole Miss.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
          When it comes to nut cutting time in March for the tournament, playing two Non-D1 programs will in all likelihood be used against Wichita State rather than in our favor. Now, such accommodations for COVID difficulties will in all likelihood be made for a school from a “P5” conference. That is why I am “butt hurt” because of the exploitive and hypocritical nature of the NCAA and its selection committee.

Heck look at football 9-2 Army true “student athletes” snubbed for a bowl game while P5 gutter sluts like 4-6 Kentucky (Gator Bowl), 4-5 Ole Miss (Outback Bowl), 3-7 Arkansas (Texas Bowl), 3-6 Tennessee (Liberty Bowl), 3-7 Mississippi State (the Armed Forces Bowl for fooks sake), and 2-8 South Carolina in whatever the heck the Gasparilla Bowl is. Even 3 loss North Carolina is in the Orange Bowl over Army and 2 schools who finished ahead of UNC in the ACC.

Do reasonably minded people believe March Madness selection will be much it any different? I do not. I will cheer the Shocks on regardless of who or where they play.

Go Shocks!
          You are absolutely right. Its a scam anybody that can't see it is just blind. They always penalize the shocks. I remember the NCAA taken into account some power 5 schools having major injuries to star players at the beginning of a year and saiying that those early season losses should not count against their record for tournament selection. But then penalized the shocks Van Vleet`s senior year when we had so many injuries. The shocks were forced to play in the play in game against Vanderbilt. They would not have done that to a so-called power 5 school. There is no question thre is a double standard.

That being said I still root for the Shocks against Newman. Our young team needs games. Go shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

First it was WSU, specifically Boatright, is an idiot saving long distance minutes by not doing what other teams are and scheduling these great replacement games at the drop of a hat when one gets cancelled.

When it turns out that WSU did call around to better teams than Newman but couldn’t work something out the rallying cry is “we should just not play a game at all” which would then leave 11 days between @USF and @Ole Miss.
            I know some of this is directed at me ..

I'm 100% ok with Newman since they made the attempt to get something better. A game is better than no game and 2 weeks off before a game @Ole Miss.

The timing of the announcement of the cancel and the very quick announcement of the Newman game sure made it seem like not a lot of effort was made. But if HCIB said they made the calls ... They made the calls.

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post

Go Shocks!
              How do you do suppose it will be used against us if we win? It’s definitely not going to be a resume building win but again, we looked for another team to play and couldn’t find one. Do you think it’s a good idea to go 11 days without playing a game before facing Ole Miss?

They are currently KP 33. Again, it’s early so who knows how they will end up, but a win there would almost certainly be a resume builder. I would rather shake the rust off and build depth in a mid week game against an overmatched opponent.

Who knows what our resume will look like at the end of the season but there will be plenty of chances to get wins in conference. That’s part of why we moved to the American. Worrying about one game against Newman is silly IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

You are absolutely right. Its a scam anybody that can't see it is just blind. They always penalize the shocks. I remember the NCAA taken into account some power 5 schools having major injuries to star players at the beginning of a year and saiying that those early season losses should not count against their record for tournament selection. But then penalized the shocks Van Vleet`s senior year when we had so many injuries. The shocks were forced to play in the play in game against Vanderbilt. They would not have done that to a so-called power 5 school. There is no question thre is a double standard.

That being said I still root for the Shocks against Newman. Our young team needs games. Go shocks.
                There is already a large media push to accept the fact that 12 Big Ten teams are gonna get in and multiple ones of those will have losing overall records.

Comment

Per IHCIB:

… who is stepping up in practice:

"I would say that guy who has stepped up and I think his numbers will continue to rise is Isaiah Poor Bear-Chandler. Every day in practice, we see Isaiah make threes. He posts up, he can drive it by guys. He's always rebounding and he did a great job against Tulsa coming into the game, getting a tip dunk. I think he made a three. He had some good minutes against South Florida. He had a big basket in the second half on an 18-foot jump shot. I think he's that guy. He can help us a lot in our low post. He's a matchup problem on the perimeter because he can shoot threes and I can see him getting better and better each game."

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

How do you do suppose it will be used against us if we win? It’s definitely not going to be a resume building win but again, we looked for another team to play and couldn’t find one. Do you think it’s a good idea to go 11 days without playing a game before facing Ole Miss?

They are currently KP 33. Again, it’s early so who knows how they will end up, but a win there would almost certainly be a resume builder. I would rather shake the rust off and build depth in a mid week game against an overmatched opponent.

Who knows what our resume will look like at the end of the season but there will be plenty of chances to get wins in conference. That’s part of why we moved to the American. Worrying about one game against Newman is silly IMO.
                    As I said in my initial post, I believe it will be used against WSU because they played two non-D1 programs. The schedule, regardless of circumstance, is the excuse for the selection committee to use it against WSU if they so desire.

Do I think it is optimal to go so long without playing a game, let alone against a team like Ole Miss? No I do not think it is good to go that long without playing a game. A win against a non-D1 opponent is not a "resume builder" in fact a win by anything less than 20 ideally 30 could be used against WSU come selection time.

There are ample opportunities in the conference to gather more wins, however conference play, especially in the AAC has not been kind to our beloved Shocks.

As mentioned by Stickboy46 the lack of communication on the attempt to fill the cancellation with the quality opponent seems like little to no effort was made to find a D1 opponent. And I too agree that a game, exhibition I think it might be, is better than no game.

My question to you is, what example do you have from previous NCAA selection years, leads you to believe that Wichita State will be given the benefit of the doubt by this group? My memory may be jaded and I am omitting something. How about that path to the final four when the Shocks were a one seed? It seemed then and still does today that the committee did Wichita State absolutely no favors, in fact I believe it was intentionally obstructionist.

Regardless of any disagreement we may or may not have on this wonderful fan board, I do sincerely wish you and your family a Happy and Prosperous 2021.

Go Shocks!
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Bottom line, even if the Shockers wanted to schedule a quality opponent it would have been next to impossible on such short notice. 238 D1 teams have/had a games scheduled already (Mon-Thurs) or are on Covid protocol. Virtually every Big 12, Valley, A-10, Summit, WAC or other somewhat regional team is already playing or on Covid protocol. It is unrealistic to think they would have been able to schedule anything significantly better that fit all of the criteria on such short notice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I know some of this is directed at me ..

I'm 100% ok with Newman since they made the attempt to get something better. A game is better than no game and 2 weeks off before a game @Ole Miss.

The timing of the announcement of the cancel and the very quick announcement of the Newman game sure made it seem like not a lot of effort was made. But if HCIB said they made the calls ... They made the calls.
                        You know they made the calls. Heck the shockers cannot get power 5 schools to play them in home and home schedules when spending the entire summer making efforts to secure games. So what makes some of you all think they could get it done in a 24 hour turnaround. Come on Man!!!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Meh.

I still say there is more to lose than gain by playing Newman.
                          A team like OU would be a first choice. But an alternative like MSU would be the worst. A Valley team could beat the Shox, and if the Shox win, they get no Credit and if the Shox lose, they pay a lot. The Shox either play a regional Big 12 team, or they play Newman. There is no in between. If they did try to schedule a Regional Big 12 team and couldn’t do it, the only alternative was Newman.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                            Bottom line, even if the Shockers wanted to schedule a quality opponent it would have been next to impossible on such short notice. 238 D1 teams have/had a games scheduled already (Mon-Thurs) or are on Covid protocol. Virtually every Big 12, Valley, A-10, Summit, WAC or other somewhat regional team is already playing or on Covid protocol. It is unrealistic to think they would have been able to schedule anything significantly better that fit all of the criteria on such short notice.
                            A Newman game will be a nice tune-up for Ole Miss. Hell, it will be like playing in the MVC again. Remember the days of emptying the bench at the end of most of our games?

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                              Bottom line, even if the Shockers wanted to schedule a quality opponent it would have been next to impossible on such short notice. 238 D1 teams have/had a games scheduled already (Mon-Thurs) or are on Covid protocol. Virtually every Big 12, Valley, A-10, Summit, WAC or other somewhat regional team is already playing or on Covid protocol. It is unrealistic to think they would have been able to schedule anything significantly better that fit all of the criteria on such short notice.
                              I don't think anyone is disputing it would be tough. But it being tough and not trying are two different things. It appears they at least tried so that makes the Newman game much more palatable.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

You know they made the calls. Heck the shockers cannot get power 5 schools to play them in home and home schedules when spending the entire summer making efforts to secure games. So what makes some of you all think they could get it done in a 24 hour turnaround. Come on Man!!!!!!
                                We've actually had really good luck getting Home and Homes with power five teams.

OU OSU
                                KSU
                                Missouri
                                Baylor
                                Seton Hall
                                Alabama

Those are just the ones off the top of my head. The 24 hour turn around would be tough, but let's not act like other teams haven't been able to work out good replacement games.

​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X