No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs. Newman Pregame Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First thing the wife said when I told her the game was canceled and they scheduled Newman was......

spoiler
    space

It's better than playing with yourself.

Comment

6 pm ESPN+

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
        First thing the wife said when I told her the game was canceled and they scheduled Newman was......

spoiler
        space

It's better than playing with yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

My preference would be to work in the newcomers throughout most of the game with the more experienced guys. My thinking this is a better way to learn then playing with a bunch of guys who are all in the learining mode. Mix the lineups liberally if you like but i would have a mix of 3 experienced guys and 2 newbies through most of the game. If we get late in the game and the game is well in haNd you can then throw a fivesome of newbies out there together. Just an alternative approach to maybe consider.
          While I get what your saying and don't necessarily disagree my own preference would to throw them out there to see who are the take
          charge type of guys. Right now these guys are happy to play their limited roles and lean on the established players. I'd like to see
          them when THEY don't have the established guys to lean on. Who will emerge as leaders and scorers?

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post

While I get what your saying and don't necessarily disagree my own preference would to throw them out there to see who are the take
            charge type of guys. Right now these guys are happy to play their limited roles and lean on the established players. I'd like to see
            them when THEY don't have the established guys to lean on. Who will emerge as leaders and scorers?
            I think we kind of already know that. Leader -- CP02; Scorer -- RC4; Glue Guy -- C-Jack.

IMHO what most of them need to some degree or another is refinement in their games including their BBIQ. I think that is more likely to come with playing with more refined and hopefully disciplined players. OTOH, it is only 1 game so whichever way IHCIB goes it won't make us or break us.

Comment

Looks like they're bumping capacity up to 15% -https://goshockers.com/news/2020/12/28/mens-basketball-shockers-fill-schedule-hole-with-newman.aspx

Sedgwick County has granted permission for 15 percent arena capacity (1,575 fans) – up from 10 percent on Dec. 18. WSU will contact season ticket holders who are eligible for seats, based on SASO priority points. Single-game tickets will not be sold.
              Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Wish we would not have bothered with Newman. Can’t see the value.

Comment

Interesting comment about the makeup game. Looks like if they can't make it work, ECU will come here and play 2 instead of us going there in February. Hmmmm…….

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I guess my question about a post Christmas game is when did the players leave and when did they return? Even if they got back on the 26th that’s only four days from return to the next scheduled game. Is it feasible or wise to try and squeeze something in there? I don't know.
                    The recommendation for college basketball was not for the players to break whatever bubble they are in and go home for Christmas. Some adhered to it (and have been playing games during this period) and others like Duke took a break and sent their players home for Christmas. I don't know what WSU did.

Comment

WSU may want to join the Y league. I hear there are some alum that hang out there. And they'd get games.
                      Phi Alpha

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

The recommendation for college basketball was not for the players to break whatever bubble they are in and go home for Christmas. Some adhered to it (and have been playing games during this period) and others like Duke took a break and sent their players home for Christmas. I don't know what WSU did.
                        WSU players went home for Christmas

Comment

Bilau could be the difference between WSU being an NCAA tourney team or an NIT team. Bilau needs time on the court when his time is unlikely to cost a game. Newman is an opportunity to get Council, Jackson, and Bilau significant minutes. Those minutes can be reviewed on film and used for teaching - even against an overmatched opponent.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Opportunity for the freshmen to get the minutes they needed earlier in the season....don't see how anybody could complain.

Comment

Don't you think it would be best if those minutes came with starters on the floor so he/they could gain confidence that being in the right place at the right time leads to results and the starts can confidence that he/they know what is expected of them. Having all newbies or mostly newbies seems to me kinda chaotic at times and not particularly helpful to maximize learning.

Comment

Originally posted by atlwsu View Post
                                Don't you think it would be best if those minutes came with starters on the floor so he/they could gain confidence that being in the right place at the right time leads to results and the starts can confidence that he/they know what is expected of them. Having all newbies or mostly newbies seems to me kinda chaotic at times and not particularly helpful to maximize learning.
                                I’m interested to see if the coaching staff approaches this game any differently than the ESU game in regards to playing time for the young guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X