Wichita State vs. Newman Pregame Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State vs. Newman Pregame Discussion

WICHITA STATE (4-2, 2-0) at ECU (7-1, 1-1)
    WICHITA STATE (4-2, 2-0) vs NEWMAN

WEDNESDAY, DEC. 30, 2020 | 6:01 P.M. CT (7:01 P.M. ET)
    WICHITA, KS./ CHARLES KOCH ARENA
    TV: ESPN+
    RADIO: KEYN 103.7 FM (GoShockers.com/Listen)

Note: ECU game was cancelled due to ECU having COVID issues. Rescheduled against Newman.
    Last edited by Kung Wu; December 28, 2020, 04:05 PM.

Is ECU for real or not? Or somewhere in-between?

Comment

I think overall, ECU is improving, if not quite mid-tier yet. Although this is a big season for them to take that step. As all of our games against them for the last few years have gone, they will go as Gardner goes. Personally, I'd like to see Poor Bear get the start with JoBu coming in for 2-3 mnute stretches as PBC picks up fouls. Gardner will come out aggressive taking it to the hoop, he will get fouled, no reason to tag Mo with 2 early ones. Let Mo come in last 8 of first half/second half of 2nd half (4th quarter?? Lol). Let Dex, CJ, hound him outside, cuz his game plan and evolving 3 pt shot will be used to try and pull our big out. Maybe a mstchup zone type where the aforementioned bigger 3's stick to him outside, and our big stays low to take a charge as he plows past first line. They also, potentially, would be better prepared to keep him off the glass. J Gardner could potentially beat us on O rebounds alone. They have better talent surrounding him, but I like the D of our guards, and trust they can prevent a secondary scorer from making us pay. Beat Gardner by focusing, and getting some fouls on him, without giving him 8 + FT's and we win.

Comment

Gardner tore us up last year. I think we have a better roster to contain him this year.

Comment

Here is the box score from the game.
          Wichita_State_75_ECU_69 (1).pdf

Comment

29 pts, 10 boards. Yikes

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              29 pts, 10 boards. Yikes
              No Dexter in that game.

Comment

Looks like ECU's starting center is 7-0, 245lb RSJr. Ludgy Debaut who plays about 17.3 minutes per game. Not a big scorer but does lead ECU in blocks with 9. Charles Coleman, a 7-0, 240lb So. center plays about 5 minutes a game. They have another 7 footer and a 6-11 freshman on their roster but it does not look like either has played this year. Otherwise, their tallest player outside this group is 6-7, which includes Jayden Gardner who is averaging 18.7 PPG, 6-7, 220lb Sr. guard J.J. Miles and 6-7, 230lb Sr. guard Bitumba Baruti. Miles is the 2nd leading scorier for ECU at 10.7 PPG and is shooting 52.2% from three on 12-23 while Baruti is averaging 9.3 PPG is a 40% three point shooter on 10-25. So it would seem that ECU plays a smaller lineup for a good portion of the game.

In their most recent game, a 68-58 home win over Tulane, the Pirates only played 8 players as follows:

Starting Lineup:
                7-0, 240lb RSJr C Ludgy Debaut 3.9 PPG, 3.5 RPG
                6-7, 235lb Jr F Jayden Gardner 18.5 PPG, 7.4 RPG (Has only shot 1 three pointer on the season)
                6-7, 220lb Sr G J.J. Miles 10.7 PPG, 3.2 RPG (12-23/52.2% on 3Ptrs)
                6-6, 205lb So G/F Brandon Suggs 9.9 PPG, 4.3 RPG (6-16/37.5% on 3Ptrs)
                6-1, 190lb Jr G Tre Robinson-White 4.4 PPG, 4.6 APG/1.4 TPG

Bench Players:
                6-5, 220lb So G Tristen Newton 8.4 PPG, 4.5 RPG, 4.5 APG/1.8 TPG
                6-7, 230lb Sr G Bituba Baruti 9.3 PPG, 5.6 RPG (10-25/40% on Ptrs)
                6-2, 210lb Sr G Tyrie Jackson 4.8 PPG, 2.1 RPG

Debaut only played 9 minutes and Coleman did not play at all against Tulane so ECU went mostly with a smaller lineup. Now smaller only in that they will regularly be playing no players taller than 6-7 but they can play 4 players that are all around 6-7.

ECU us shooting 44.5% from the field, 36.6% on 3Ptrs and 74.1% from the line.

The Shocks are shooting 38.2% from the field, 30.0% on 3Ptrs and 67.2% from the line.

ECU is 7-1 overall and 1-1 in AAC play. Wins have come against Charlotte, Non-D1 NC Wesleyan, Radford, UNCW, North Florida, James Madison and Tulane. The only loss was 55-70 at SMU. Not a real strong schedule so far. A Non-Con SOS of 208 and Net Ranking of 208 per WarrenNolan.com.

The Shocks have Non-Con SOS of 54 and a Net Ranking of 41. However, not sure those numbers mean all tat much at this point.

I think ECU could present some match up challenges for the Shocks and I would expect this to be a very competitive game.

Comment

Wow!! I thought in years past Jayden Gardner was listed at a height of 6-6 not 6-7. Well I guess it doesn't make much difference. He is still an outstanding player.

Comment

Game vs ECU postponed because of their COVID. WSU looking for a replacement opponent.

Wichita State Athletics - Official Athletics Website (goshockers.com)

Comment

Hopefully we can find something. I expect it will be tough but not impossible considering the circumstances this year.

Obviously we can’t be too picky at this late stage but I wonder what level team they will target or if it will just be any team. I can see a benefit for each level.

ESU level allows us to develop depth, experiment and pad the W-L record but won’t really help us come tourney time.

Mizzou level would give us another shot at picking up an out of conference resume builder but a win is not guaranteed and probably wouldn’t allow the end of the bench to touch the court.

Comment

Gardner scares the crap out of me. That is my assessment.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                          Gardner scares the crap out of me. That is my assessment.
                          We seem to be pretty good at shutting down the primary options this year. Its figuring out who else is gonna step up and shut them down

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                            Hopefully we can find something. I expect it will be tough but not impossible considering the circumstances this year.

Obviously we can’t be too picky at this late stage but I wonder what level team they will target or if it will just be any team. I can see a benefit for each level.

ESU level allows us to develop depth, experiment and pad the W-L record but won’t really help us come tourney time.

Mizzou level would give us another shot at picking up an out of conference resume builder but a win is not guaranteed and probably wouldn’t allow the end of the bench to touch the court.
                            OU is off until the 2nd...

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                              Game vs ECU postponed because of their COVID. WSU looking for a replacement opponent.

Wichita State Athletics - Official Athletics Website (goshockers.com)
                              Should not be hard - I remember Sticky telling us that we needed to cancel the ND tournament games and just go schedule some p5 games.

Comment

Working...
                              X