Shocker Kenpom Ranking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I would agree we have better athletes and personnel at 3-4 positions than we did last season. However, our bigs of MU and IPBC leave a lot to be desired in terms of production and efficiency.

Throw in any one of Stutz, Morris, Hall, or Carter and this team becomes a Top 25 team IMO. Those guys were all better defensively than our current bigs and would be a 15-20% improvement in terms of offensive efficiency at that position.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
      Bilau is the biggest wild card. Even last game I saw a few things I really liked.

On offense he made a nice pocket pass from the wing to a cutter. On the defensive end he got pushed completely out of bounds but hustled back on the court and boxed a man out as the shot went up.
      I've given up on him for the year. Not in an angry Jewish "rip my shirt, your dead to me" kind of way. But his persistent injuries have slowed his development big time, and I am afraid he has lost too much time to adjust to the rigorous speed of D1 ball this year -- it's only going to get worse from here on out and he's still looking panicked to me.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I've given up on him for the year. Not in an angry Jewish "rip my shirt, your dead to me" kind of way. But his persistent injuries have slowed his development big time, and I am afraid he has lost too much time to adjust to the rigorous speed of D1 ball this year -- it's only going to get worse from here on out and he's still looking panicked to me.
        You may very well be correct. I guess I’ve seen just enough flashes so far that I’m not quite ready to write the book on his season after eight games with two months and 18 more games left to go.

I don’t expect nor do I think we need to him to take over at the 5. If he can provide good defense and hit the boards while not being a liability on the offensive end for 10 or so minutes per game I would consider it a success.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

You may very well be correct. I guess I’ve seen just enough flashes so far that I’m not quite ready to write the book on his season after eight games with two months and 18 more games left to go.

I don’t expect nor do I think we need to him to take over at the 5. If he can provide good defense and hit the boards while not being a liability on the offensive end for 10 or so minutes per game I would consider it a success.
          Yeah, he needs those spot minutes to develop. I just don't think we can rely on him at all this year. If I'm HCIB, I am using Monzy as my 3rd string 5 if IPBC and MU are in serious early foul trouble, with JoBi getting spot minutes to rest Monzy as needed. If IPBC and MU are NOT in foul trouble but just need a couple minutes rest and the game isn't a pressure cooker at the moment, then I am developing JoBi a little.

Comment

Yeah, he needs those spot minutes to develop. I just don't think we can rely on him at all this year. If I'm HCIB, I am using Monzy as my 3rd string 5 if IPBC and MU are in serious early foul trouble, with JoBi getting spot minutes to rest Monzy as needed. If IPBC and MU are NOT in foul trouble but just need a couple minutes rest and the game isn't a pressure cooker at the moment, then I am developing JoBi a little.
            Yep, I agree that anything we get out of him this year is icing on the cake.

I do think it’s interesting that the coaches have put him on the floor in pressure situations at the end of a couple games. Granted, it’s most likely out of necessity and for only a minute or two, but he was out there in crunch time of the Ole Miss game and I think USF or Tulsa - can’t remember which. I thought he was fine in those situations. Kind of just did his job and kept the ship moving and didn’t screw anything up (that I remember).

Comment

Right now he more Wamukota than Orukpe. He has the makings to be better than both but it’s gonna be a long project.

Comment

This is a free year for him since he will still be considered a red shirt freshman next year so any court time is super valuable for his development.

Comment

Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post

This is a free year for him since he will still be considered a red shirt freshman next year so any court time is super valuable for his development.
                  He has actually looked better than I thought he would since I posted that.

Comment

We jumped about 10 spots in KP with that win. Hopefully the NET follows

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                      We jumped about 10 spots in KP with that win. Hopefully the NET follows
                      So the secret sauce to moving up is to finish teams off and pound them into submission.

Comment

Originally posted by shocktown View Post

So the secret sauce to moving up is to finish teams off and pound them into submission.
                        That definitely appears to be the case lol

Comment

Originally posted by shocktown View Post

Yes with the KenPom metric, offensive and defensive performance is important (e.g. winning margin).

It is also important for the NET (I think you maximize that part of the metric by winning by 10) in the NET).

Comment

Up to #54 (from 64) in the NET Rankings.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...l-net-rankings

Through games of Jan. 13

6. Houston
                            54. WSU
                            63. UCF
                            65. SMU
                            67. Tulsa
                            103. Cincinnati
                            105. Memphis
                            116. USF
                            124. ECU
                            169. Tulane
                            176. Temple
                            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                              Up to #54 (from 64) in the NET Rankings.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...l-net-rankings

Through games of Jan. 13

6. Houston
                              54. WSU
                              63. UCF
                              65. SMU
                              67. Tulsa
                              103. Cincinnati
                              105. Memphis
                              116. USF
                              124. ECU
                              169. Tulane
                              176. Temple
                              I've watched UCF a few times and was surprised to see them that high. They are 3-3 with wins over a bad Auburn team and a good Florida State team. That one win over FlSt is the only way their NET can even approach the level it's at. Unless getting pounded by 22 by Michigan somehow boosts NET ranking.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Missouri, Colgate, UCF, Hawaii and our Shocks are the only team in the top 175 without a game against a Q4 team. Colgate has only played 4 games and multiple Q4s are on the way. Hawaii has only played 2 and who knows what their schedule holds.

Comment

Working...
                                X