Shocker Kenpom Ranking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Have we broken kenpom? We are 6-2 with a non-con SOS better than Cincinnasty's, who is 2-6 with exactly ZERO road wins -- and yet they are two spots ahead of us? I don't really pay much attention to kenpom, so someone please explain to me? Maybe it's just too early for it to make sense?

Edit: We also beat two of the teams AWAY that Cincinnasty lost to at HOME (USF, Tulsa).

kenpom.PNG

I don't understand.
    Oh, well heck, all I had to do was scroll up and read. Nevermind.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Have we broken kenpom? We are 6-2 with a non-con SOS better than Cincinnasty's, who is 2-6 with exactly ZERO road wins -- and yet they are two spots ahead of us? I don't really pay much attention to kenpom, so someone please explain to me? Maybe it's just too early for it to make sense?

Edit: We also beat two of the teams AWAY that Cincinnasty lost to at HOME (USF, Tulsa).

kenpom.PNG

I don't understand.
      In a normal year with a normal number of games KP factors in previous year data up until early-mid jan. With the lack of new games this year, last year data will probably affect the results until Feb. Since we lost so many "key" players from last year, our data was bad to start.

Comment

kenpom.PNG

I don't understand.
        Let me offer my opinion. Kenpom is a scam. But some think its good and better than the old RPI. To me it just another way for those in power to justify putting their teams in the tournament.

Comment

kenpom.PNG

I don't understand.
          Yeah...get in line. Behind me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Let me offer my opinion. Kenpom is a scam. But some think its good and better than the old RPI. To me it just another way for those in power to justify putting their teams in the tournament.
            Of course its a scam. Think of it like this....

Fortunately....no, wait....

...........VERY fortunately, pyramid shaped structures are among the most stable structures on the planet. So don't expect it to go away anytime soon.

Comment

kenpom.PNG

I don't understand.
              Two reasons:

KenPom is not solely results based (wins or losses). It is a predictive metric and takes each possession into account. Our games against ORU and Missouri both hurt us in this department, because we did not play well in either even though we beat ORU. If you want a results based metric, look more towards metrics like Wins Above Bubble, which a couple sites, including Torvik, have.

It also uses preseason ratings as a placeholder for games until a substantial sample size can be evaluated, after which the preseason ratings completely drop off (January-ish). Which is why Cincy is still ahead of us. The ratings are still useful, just not as fine-tuned as they will be in February and March.

I for one have come to believe that KenPom is not necessarily the best ratings system out there, but it is generally helpful for grouping teams and a pretty decent predictive metric. So it’s pretty good, but not the gospel.

EDIT: didn’t see Stick’s response.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

Of course its a scam. Think of it like this....

Fortunately....no, wait....

...........VERY fortunately, pyramid shaped structures are among the most stable structures on the planet. So don't expect it to go away anytime soon.

A good one. LMAO

Comment

Comment

How come Kenpom doesn't have a weighted "ETN" column? We'd be like 100% and everyone else would be like 0%, and that would make the rankings make more sense.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

If it make u feel any better, WSU is 41st in NET. This does not take account of WSU win last night.

Comment

68 in Haslametrics

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                          If it make u feel any better, WSU is 41st in NET. This does not take account of WSU win last night.
                          Now I feel a lot better. I’ve decided that I like NET best.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                            Isn't that still last year's data? ... That's where we finished last year... They haven't released any this year that I've seen

Comment

#23 in RPI

Comment

Some other metrics...

67 in Sagarin
                                68 at Haslametrics
                                73 at Torvik

We've made about a 20-30 spot jump in most metrics since the beginning of the season. Which tells me we could end up a Top 50 team when it’s all said and done, potentially top 40. We would need better personnel to get beyond that.
                                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X