A little love from Dickie V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little love from Dickie V

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

Scott (Georgia)

Which mid major do you think has a better chance of making it to the Elite Eight or even Final Four, Murray State or Creighton?

Dick Vitale (11:33 AM)

After seeing what Butler did the past two years, I think there will be a lot of attention paid to the likes of Creighton, Wichita State and murray State. With some of the bigger conferences not producing as many tourney teams as in the past, it will give some of the mid-majors more of a chance to get into the big dance. Doug McDermott is one of the best players in America and Creighton can be heard from. If you consider San Diego State and UNLV as mid-majors, they will be up there too.

You mean the same San Diego State and UNLV teams who were beaten by Missouri Valley teams, Mr. Vitale?

Comment

It's a trap.
      I think Pringles original intention was to make tennis balls... but on the day the rubber was supposed to show up a truckload of potatoes came. Pringles is a laid-back company, so they just said, "**** it, cut em up!" - MH

Comment

I've decided that anyone who uses the term "mid-major" really has no idea what exactly they are talking about and is therefore a waste of time to listen to when they speak.

Comment

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
          I've decided that anyone who uses the term "mid-major" really has no idea what exactly they are talking about and is therefore a waste of time to listen to when they speak.
          Do prefer then, non-BCS?

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
            Do prefer then, non-BCS?
            I do if someone has to differentiate.

Comment

I don't think it is a battle we will ever win. I like what Turgeon said about WSU: that we are a major program in a mid-major league.

Comment

Wasn't that marshall, turd always used "this level"!
                I smell Bluejay puntang and the only good Bluejay puntang is dead Bluejay puntang

Comment

i like the term mid major. I feel like it gives all the "mid major" teams like us a chip on our shoulder when we play the teams from the power 6 conferences

Comment

Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                    i use the term mid major and know what im talking about. heres what i know. until we can consistently make ncaa tournaments like teams such as gonzaga, butler, xavier I would consider us mid major. We have only one conference title in the last how many years? from a league that is only producing 1 bid to the ncaa. now granted we probably should have been in last year but we dug our own grave with losses like siu at home. until we are consistent, we are a mid major.

that being said, i think we could make a run in the dance this year given the right draw. i agree with vitale.

Comment

Originally posted by GOSHOX1 View Post
                      Wasn't that marshall, turd always used "this level"!
                      He said it ONCE that I am aware of. Easy on the name calling. Who was the last guy that took us to the NCAA tourney again? Who got us one of the baddest banners at Koch again? Who pulled us out of our darkest hour again?

Sheesh. What have you done for me lately much?
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by fuball7 View Post
                        i use the term mid major and know what im talking about. heres what i know. until we can consistently make ncaa tournaments like teams such as gonzaga, butler, xavier I would consider us mid major. We have only one conference title in the last how many years? from a league that is only producing 1 bid to the ncaa. now granted we probably should have been in last year but we dug our own grave with losses like siu at home. until we are consistent, we are a mid major.

that being said, i think we could make a run in the dance this year given the right draw. i agree with vitale.
                        I agree. We have a pretty decent basketball tradition, have nice facilities and great fan support. With all that, it simply amazes me that this program has only 9 NCAA tourney appearances. You're right, until this program turns the corner and starts making consistent runs to the NCAA's then nationally, we are a mid-major program.

Comment

Turge burned some bridges when he left. And I think the only time he called us a major program in a mid-major league was after he took the job at aTm. The at this level stuff was said ALL THE TIME and annoyed many fans.

3G has never made comments like that to my knowledge. Which is one reason I feel he's brought in better talent and will take us farther than Turge ever dreamed of.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            Turge burned some bridges when he left. And I think the only time he called us a major program in a mid-major league was after he took the job at aTm. The at this level stuff was said ALL THE TIME and annoyed many fans.
                            I don't remember him minimizing WSU while he was here. Thats not saying much, I can't remember anything. But I thought I would remember that. I know he said that at AnM when he was actually trying to talk WSU up, but it came out the wrong way.

But screw all of that -- who did he burn bridges with? I hadn't heard that, and that I gotta know! :)
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Burned bridges may have been the wrong term, but he pissed a lot of people off with the taking of a recruit that had signed with us.

He constantly referred to "at this level" implying that we couldn't compete at a higher level of play or to recruit a higher caliber athlete. Which is why he never attempted to recruit Noel Johnson. Maybe we get him, maybe we don't. But he NEVER made the effort.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                              X