Home attendance / atmosphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home attendance / atmosphere

In Shockwaves, Paul brings up the empty seats and lackluster atmosphere at recent home games. I too have noticed this and believe it's a condition of our economy. I think that the Athletic Department has reached it's pricing tolerance for season ticket holders and it's showing at the gate.

I understand the need to maximize revenue but I would rather have a full house of enthusiastic fans every night. Don't misunderstand, I still think our environment ranks among the best in college basketball but I think that is not as good as it has been or could be.

Creighton gets 17,000 at their arena...does anyone know what season tickets go for there?

For the WSU game two years ago, walk-up tickets were $20 at Creighton.

Comment

1) Substance abuse increases during recessionary times. [Source: http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/a...inking-goes-up ]

2) The Qwest Center sells beer, sometimes inexpensively. [Source: http://www.gocreighton.com/ViewArtic...CLID=205075179 ]

Theories abound.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
        For the WSU game two years ago, walk-up tickets were $20 at Creighton.
        They were $30 for partial obstruction seats this year

EDIT: I didn't read close enough...that was @ Koch
        Last edited by ShockerEngr; January 26, 2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

I wonder is the tv broadcasts are having an impact. Hope not but my 85 year old dad would rather watch from his couch than try to brave the long walk from the lot during poor weather conditions.

Comment

I think there are several factors

1. Economy - I know season ticket holders around me that had to give them up because of layoffs and such. You can't fault them for them having their family a priority.

2. Mvc scheduling of games on Wednesday night. There are people who have church activities on this might. Though this year is not as bad as last year for home games.

3. Tv - lot more opportunities now to see game on tv.

I think #1 is the one driving attendance.

As far as atmosphere - I fault the administration. This has to be the worst year between the pre-game, in-game stuff. It is like they are doing everything possible to suck the life out of the crowd.

Secondary, I think (antedotally) there has been probably a bigger turnover in season ticket holders. So you have alot of new people who don't know the "ways" and are unsure of normal protocol in the games, and existing fans/administration have not done a good job teaching them.

If you want to fix atmosphere it starts with somebody who can coordinate/choergraph all portions (cheerleaders, band, pre-game, in-game, etc) of the game.

Comment

To answer the question about the price of Creighton tickets, I don't know the exact numbers, but I think they run very close to ticket prices for Shocker games. As the arena seats more than CKA, nosebleeds get cheaper. Lower bowl seats are all $30 and up, my tickets are $30 per game. The top half of the upper bowl (nosebleeds) can get as low as $12. I don't think I would pay to sit there. Decent upper bowl seats are $22 to $28.

They may have priced the Wichita State tickets higher this year, I don't know. There is huge interest, I know they are bringing out all of the temporary risers that go in front of the Bud Bowl and it is possible that there will be many more than 18,000 at the game. From what I understand, 16,500 will be the bottom number for any remaining games. It's nice to see really big crowds but it makes getting out of downtown a pain.

Considering what Wichita State and Creighton charge and get for their seats, I find it humorous that these two teams play in a conference where other fans ***** about ticket prices. It is not uncommon for other Valley teams to have $99 season tickets. Even in Cedar Falls, that is an entertainment bargain that is hard to beat. At that rate, there is no reason they can't sell 7,000 tickets for every game, their excuses don't add up.

Here is a few post from Panthernation:
              I just hope they don't raise ticket prices or charge me an extra 50 cents for popcorn. It wouldn't kill them to throw in a dollar night every now and then...
              This is the norm for them, they as fans ***** about the arena being half full and they ***** about ticket prices being too high. But in reality, season tickets at UNI are just $99!!!! http://ev12.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomm...upCode=MB&cgc=
              Last edited by MoValley John; January 26, 2012, 10:01 AM. Reason: there their they're
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
                In Shockwaves, Paul brings up the empty seats and lackluster atmosphere at recent home games. I too have noticed this and believe it's a condition of our economy. I think that the Athletic Department has reached it's pricing tolerance for season ticket holders and it's showing at the gate.

I understand the need to maximize revenue but I would rather have a full house of enthusiastic fans every night. Don't misunderstand, I still think our environment ranks among the best in college basketball but I think that is not as good as it has been or could be.

Creighton gets 17,000 at their arena...does anyone know what season tickets go for there?
                Not one who is personally in any quality info loop, but I've heard, several times, that a "re-seating" is on the immediate horizon. It makes sense with all the priority points updating and the Shocks current success. Question is, how well will it be received if you are correct @Capitol Shock II:?

I'm sure there are other reasons, but I've never understood why corporates buy so many seats. One would think that if all the seats were going to get utilized often, it would be now, but I continually see many going unused in our area.

Comment

If they raise prices then that'll make my decision even easier when it comes time to renew. I hate the thought of giving up my tickets, but that's what it's looking like.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I've gone to games less and less each year. But with that said my responsibilities have grown each year as well. Between work/school/kids AND their activities Im barely able to catch a game on TV unless its a DVR.
                    Ill be in KC this weekend for a cheer competition and thankfully the game is on Fox Sports. So Ill catch that in the hotel bar!

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
                      I've gone to games less and less each year. But with that said my responsibilities have grown each year as well. Between work/school/kids AND their activities Im barely able to catch a game on TV unless its a DVR.
                      Ill be in KC this weekend for a cheer competition and thankfully the game is on Fox Sports. So Ill catch that in the hotel bar!
                      As a father, you are supposed to attend your children's out of town football and basketball games. You are supposed to send your wife to out of town soccer and cheer events.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I was shocked to see empty seats last night on TV. Its sad when we get all of this attention about being one of the greatest places to watch college basketball in the country and that every game has 10,500 people and then see all those empty seats. If you don't want you season tickets give them up and let someone else Rock the Roundhouse!

Comment

I have been a season ticket holder since 1978 and have watched the crowds evolve at Levitt/Koch. As the SASO donation requirement continued to rise the number of rabid stand up and scream you quts out fans has continued to dwindle. Four close friends who were/are no longer season ticket holders were loud, intense and diehard fans. They are still the same way when we get together to watch a road game and we are all screaming at the TV and jumping up for high fives. That use to be a typical Levitt arena fan. They have been replaced by more calm groups of younger fans and familes that spend as much time texting as watching the game. Add to that large number of older folks who are satisfied to sit calmly and watch the game and the atmosphere takes a big hit. Like it or not that also tends to infulence more people around them to act the same. I actually had a lady sitting in front of me ask me to quit whisteling so loud because it was annoying her. She was with an elderly lady and a young girl who appeared to be 4-5 years of age. They were there to sit quietly and enjoy the game while the little girl played with mom's phone. I am sure that the Athletic department is grateful to every fan that passes through the door and wants a wholesome family atmosphere. It's just not going to be as electric as it has been in the past and I don't see that changing. Next time you are at a game watch how many people really get into the clapping for defense to start the game. Ya they all stand up but many don't even clap and alot just clap like they are at the theater. It just a chore that Don Hall forces them to participate in. I am not complaining about the people that are passively watching the game, I commend them for being there to support WSU. I just lament the fact that Koch is not the same place as Henry Levitt used to be. Unfortunately I am not sure it will ever be again.
                          "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
                          which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerKhan View Post
                            I have been a season ticket holder since 1978 and have watched the crowds evolve at Levitt/Koch. As the SASO donation requirement continued to rise the number of rabid stand up and scream you quts out fans has continued to dwindle. Four close friends who were/are no longer season ticket holders were loud, intense and diehard fans. They are still the same way when we get together to watch a road game and we are all screaming at the TV and jumping up for high fives. That use to be a typical Levitt arena fan. They have been replaced by more calm groups of younger fans and familes that spend as much time texting as watching the game. Add to that large number of older folks who are satisfied to sit calmly and watch the game and the atmosphere takes a big hit. Like it or not that also tends to infulence more people around them to act the same. I actually had a lady sitting in front of me ask me to quit whisteling so loud because it was annoying her. She was with an elderly lady and a young girl who appeared to be 4-5 years of age. They were there to sit quietly and enjoy the game while the little girl played with mom's phone. I am sure that the Athletic department is grateful to every fan that passes through the door and wants a wholesome family atmosphere. It's just not going to be as electric as it has been in the past and I don't see that changing. Next time you are at a game watch how many people really get into the clapping for defense to start the game. Ya they all stand up but many don't even clap and alot just clap like they are at the theater. It just a chore that Don Hall forces them to participate in. I am not complaining about the people that are passively watching the game, I commend them for being there to support WSU. I just lament the fact that Koch is not the same place as Henry Levitt used to be. Unfortunately I am not sure it will ever be again.
                            +1. On target post. As Marshall said in Tim Brando's intereview, WSU is a first-class, high major basketball. Like it or not, that takes money.

As much as I gripe about unused corporate seats, I will say that many of the ever changing faces of those that do come, are loud, cheering fans.

Comment

Alright, I'm guilty of not clapping everytime. But last night I did quite a bit of yelling at the refs and I was obviously in a class by myself. Somewhat embarassed about that but it used to be a pretty common practice among many of the fans. Not anymore for some reason...just weird to me.
                              I think if we crack the rankings things may improve but it just seems like there isn't any energy during the game. Heck, last night DW was trying to encourage the crowd to get loud at one point and barely anything happened. I don't know what the solution is but I hope it comes this season.

Comment

Working...
                              X