Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts after first game in the Post-Marshall Era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-Oddly the offense was ahead of the defense in the first game of the year. The reverse is usually true.
    -Definitely looked out of sorts on that end for much of the game but ORU gets credit for hitting a few tough shots. Seems like we switched more screens than normal. That might have caused some of the confusion that led to open shots.
    -Rebounding was really bad, they ate us alive. It looked like a lot of missed box outs to me.
    -Loved the guard play.
    -I thought by and large we played smart. The past couple of years could be so frustrating at times because guys would commit strings of bone headed plays. At least for one night I didn’t see much of that.
    -Come on, fellas, box out. It’s not that hard. We’re undersized so it’s even more important.
    -Again it’s one game against ORU but nobody seemed in over their head.
    -If the two or three of the five that sat out are as good as advertised this team has a lot of potential. It’s a weird year and Marshall is gone so who knows if they can reach their potential consistently this year but so far I think the raw materials for a good team are there.

Comment

Not bad for not being able to practice 5 on 5 headed into the game. But let’s be real, they looked rough. Hopefully they will look better at full strength.

Comment

Obviously the defense and rebounding displayed tonight won’t cut it long term. I have to believe both will improve as the year goes on and they can practice more as a whole team and not just eight guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

He can stand on his head all game for all I care, as long as we win and close out games.
          Unfortunately we aren’t gonna be playing Sunmit League teams every night.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I thought they played well considering all the factors. Especially since they weren't even able to play a couple exhibitions. Lots of good things. Lots of "geez guys" moments...but again 1st game with 8 players and the whirlwind of 2020. Side note...Tyson looked like he got himself some hoops this year. A couple times heading to the rack I thought man...he's up there.
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

It's going to be a long season!

Comment

I thought the team looked ok. Not great, not terrible. About what I expected. Tyson is a freaking beast!! I think Udeze can be a nice piece in the middle. He needs to focus on not losing his man and not bringing the ball down. I really hope we get a chance to see Josephat and that he is a pleasant surprise. Really like the guard play. That will definitely be the teams strength thanks to GM. Dex will get it going. IPBC had some moments but is not good defensively. So glad we have TE, Dex, and AG over the headcases from last season.

I am not going to get to high or too low this season. There are just too many unknowns to get expectations too high or low. Just gonna enjoy the ride and watching these kids play. I already have a better feeling about cohesiveness and chemistry without some of the egos from last years team.

Comment

I'm starting to think that Dennis is a somewhat more talented and taller version of Kyles.

Anybody who thinks Brown didn't earn his job as interim and consideration for HC doesn't understand the situation of replacing a coach that's either loved or hated by his previous players.

I got the feeling that Etienne didn't mind the change of coaches.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Unfortunately we aren’t gonna be playing Sunmit League teams every night.
                    Fortunately, we won't be playing our first game of the season every night.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I do wish that our big men didn’t think it was required for them, each game, to stand at the top of the key and throw up 3 pointers at least once or twice each game. This has been going on for a few years and is a strategy that fails far more often than it succeeds.

Comment

Originally posted by shockersx View Post

I will also take Alterique over Grant and Noah. Thanks for the players, GM.
                        and Burton

Comment

Tyson is impressive. You can tell that he has both the talent and the work ethic to improve his game. He carried us tonight. But we shouldn’t have to need him to do that against a sub-200 KenPom team.

Dex was non-existent tonight, but I didn’t feel like we did a good job of running sets for him. Hopeful that’s not a sign of things to come.

I didn’t have a ton of critiques of Marshall’s coaching, but spacing and lack of a more creative offense are two of them. Watching other teams play is so much different than watching us. It’s like our guys have cement shoes on during our offensive sets.

There’s been something wrong with our defensive rotations ever since Jans left to go to NMSU.

We need to recruit much better personnel inside. I think that goes without saying. I’m hopeful Josaphat can be a revelation because if we have to primarily run out Mo and IPBC in conference play, we’re going to get destroyed. Other bigs in our conference (and even other weaker conferences) are much more skilled and light on their feet. It would be really nice to have guys like Shaq, Darral, and/or Rashard as they are all superior options at the 4/5 than the guys available yesterday.

Speaking of that, I think we played Trey Wade at the 4 and CJ at the 5 a little bit today. I think that’s not a terrible idea and not the last time we’ll see it this season.

Sunday might not be pretty if we have the same roster. Would have been nice to see some of the freshmen because I think they have potential.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
                            It's going to be a long season!
                            It may be....but based on one game? As has been pointed out, bigger win with less players than a year ago...

No NCAA title , and much MUCH upheaval...those are certainties...but let's see what happens...I'm hopeful...

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

It seems like they could pipe in some crowd noise. Would that even be legal?
                              I wondered that too. They did it for the NBA this year.

Comment

I saw poor rebounding and too little play making from AG. I really expected more effort. Team play may be do to lack of 5 on 5 practice. But their enthusiasm appeared to suck. If TE had not got hot, this would have been an embarrassing loss. D has to improve

Comment

Working...
                                X