Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm glad Creighton is a "Mid Major" because we certainly aren't...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm glad Creighton is a "Mid Major" because we certainly aren't...

This possible first-team all-american finished his high school career with 53 straight wins and two state championships. A first-team all-state selection as a senior, he was the sixth man on his high school team as a junior.

interesting, I always wondered why someone would sign with a BCS school sit the bench and get minimal playing time when they can sign with a so called mid and play. I say you have to play to get noticed by the NBA and you cant do that sitting the bench or getting 10 min of playing time.
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Can't hate on him, he's an outstanding player.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

When did we gain admission to one of the, so called, power conferences? Mid-major is what it is. It doesn't change when the ball gets tossed in the air how bad our team wants to beat who ever wears the other jersey.

Comment

Mid Major is just a term used to discriminate. If you used the term, Non-football conference, would that term imply a difference in the quality of two basketball programs, one from a football conference and one that isn't?

There is no difference between our program and many, many programs in so-called BCS conferences. In fact, our program is significantly better than many. The term mid major to me is an insult to a program like ours with super facilities, fan support and player quality. If we invited into a power conference, what would happen to our basketball program that would be any different? Nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
            Mid Major is just a term used to discriminate. If you used the term, Non-football conference, would that term imply a difference in the quality of two basketball programs, one from a football conference and one that isn't?

There is no difference between our program and many, many programs in so-called BCS conferences. In fact, our program is significantly better than many. The term mid major to me is an insult to a program like ours with super facilities, fan support and player quality. If we invited into a power conference, what would happen to our basketball program that would be any different? Nothing.
            THIS!

Comment

If you are going to label WSU or Creighton as mid-major then you have to also put that tag on MANY, MANY of the BCS teams that aren't traditional powerhouses. To me you have the top 5 or 6 programs that traditionally get the top recruits (KU, Kentucky, Duke..etc) and then a bunch of other teams (the rest of the BCS teams, many non-bcs teams) and then the rest (the horrible teams...200+ rpi for example).

Also, I think there are major/mid-major/low-major programs. Those schools that generally see certain levels of success would be placed accordingly and a few bad years sprinkled in would not change their category. However, you would also have major/mid-major/low-major TEAMS which would be fluid each year based on how those individual teams perform. For example, the year that UNC was horrible and barely made the NIT they were a mid-major TEAM. Of course that is a high-major program.

There is definately a difference of talent...etc at the VERY top elite schools that are powerhouses from the rest of the schools. However, the talent gap is almost non-existent at many of the other BCS schools and many non-bcs schools. More and more those non-bcs schools are actually winning the recruiting battle against the non-elite schools. That includes Wichita State.

So basically there IS a seperation of talent that you could split all of Div 1 into 3 categories. However, the line isn't defined by conference like so many in the media wants to make you believe. And the line isn't as solid as they try and make it out to be either. That is my biggest issue with the terminology and how it is used. Thus, if you can't get it right...just don't use the term. Just my opinion.
              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Sitting here, tracking my "people" who tell me info before most people find out and realized.....

This is the definition of Mid-Major! Sitting around waiting to find out who one team you will play that 90% of ESPN viewers outside your market could give a hoot about.

LAST YEAR of this. Time to step up and move on. The whole conference doesn't have to participate. CU, WSU, and possibly a couple others should opt out and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                  Sitting here, tracking my "people" who tell me info before most people find out and realized.....

This is the definition of Mid-Major! Sitting around waiting to find out who one team you will play that 90% of ESPN viewers outside your market could give a hoot about.

LAST YEAR of this. Time to step up and move on. The whole conference doesn't have to participate. CU, WSU, and possibly a couple others should opt out and move on.
                  That's so funny!!
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Ugh... another mid major definition argument thread...

Comment

Ugh.. another guy sporting an NIT Banner on his avatar. Fit the subject much?

And it's not "ANOTHER" thread. Its an old one, pulled up because it fit the topic I posted, in the category it relates to, on the board I post on.

If that bothers you, go be a Bradley fan.

Comment

I don't care what we are, I wasn't saying we aren't a mid major. I just think we are beating the horse too much with this argument.

Comment

This isn't about what we are. This is about how we present ourselves.

Sell out arena. Charter flights. Coach that turned down $1.9 mil from NC State. Top notch facilities.

We need to be playing in the dance, and not in this.

Comment

Ok I hear ya. And I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                              This isn't about what we are. This is about how we present ourselves.

Sell out arena. Charter flights. Coach that turned down $1.9 mil from NC State. Top notch facilities.

We need to be playing in the dance, and not in this.
                              Well, that's true if the team EARNS it. We need to win the games we are suppose to, and not lose to teams we are suppose to beat (Drake). We also have to beat some teams that we are not suppose to win (UNLV). We have a good team, but they are not a great team yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X