ESPN Mid-Major Power Ranking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
    I don't Creighton's resume is any different than ours at this point. They have a good win against SDSU but other than that...what? They have two borderline bad losses right now to Missouri State and St. Joe's. But because they have baby squatch they're in? If we aren't in neither are they in my opinion. At least based on results to this point.
    Really? Using RealTimeRPI, WSU is 1-3 (win home, 1 home loss to CU, 2 neutral) vs the top 50 and 1-0 (neutral) vs 51-100. That's a total of 2-3 vs top 100.

CU is 4-0 (2 home, 2 road) vs the top 50 and 1-2 (win at home, losses home and road to almost top 50) vs 51-100. That's a total of 5-2 vs top 100.

WSU has no top 100 (much less, top 50) road wins and CU's road loss was to a near top 50, not boarderline bad loss. A win tonight will put WSU closer to CU's achievements, unless UNI's RPI tanks below 50 which it probably will.
    Last edited by ShockTalk; January 18, 2012, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Good points but do you really think Northwestern is worthy of a 25 rpi? Or Northern Iowa at 30. Or St. Joe's a 53? I don't. I think that Creighton has a great win at SDSU. I think that they have two suspicious losses, at home to Missouri State and at St. Joe's.

I realize that we can't know where all of these teams will finish in the rpi but I will be amazed if Northwestern, St. Joe's and Northern Iowa are in the top 50 at year end.

Comment

If they remain in the top 100 they're still not going to be considered bad losses
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
          Really? Using RealTimeRPI, WSU is 1-3 (win neutral court, 1 home loss to CU, 2 neutral) vs the top 50 and 1-0 (neutral) vs 51-100. That's a total of 2-3 vs top 100.

CU is 4-0 (2 home, 2 road) vs the top 50 and 1-2 (win at home, losses home and road to almost top 50) vs 51-100. That's a total of 5-2 vs top 100.

WSU has no top 100 (much less, top 50) road wins and CU's road loss was to a near top 50, not boarderline bad loss. A win tonight will put WSU closer to CU's achievements, unless UNI's RPI tanks below 50 which it probably will.
          But the NCAA team sheet divides opponents into groups of RPI 1-50, 51-100, 101-200 and 201+. It doesn't just say "top 100". What they will see, as of right now:

WSU: 1-3 vs. top-50, 1-0 vs. 51-100, 9-0 vs. 101-200, 3-0 vs. 201+
          CU: 4-0 vs. top-50, 1-2 vs. 51-100, 7-0 vs. 101-200, 2-0 vs 201+

CU's 4-0 vs. top-50 looks better than WSU, but is somewhat neutralized by their 1-2 vs. 51-100 and the overall non-conf SOS (WSU 71, CU 178). We've been told in recent years that the committee is looking closer at non-conf SOS.

Comment

Originally posted by rjl View Post
            I'm surprised that Aargh has met this much criticism for having WSU only "penciled" into the tournament. It's like the last few years have been wiped from the collective memories of those who post on this board.

Nothing is a given when you play in the Valley unless you win Arch Madness. Nothing.
            As Sub stated, I don't think anyone is bringing up prior history. What has been stated is that ... right now ... WSU should be penciled into the tournament. No, not inked in, but penciled in. As of right now, WSU is not a bubble team. Not even close to it actually. Now, they have plenty of chances to blow what they have accrued or also build up to a lock status.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Good points but do you really think Northwestern is worthy of a 25 rpi? Or Northern Iowa at 30. Or St. Joe's a 53? I don't. I think that Creighton has a great win at SDSU. I think that they have two suspicious losses, at home to Missouri State and at St. Joe's.

I realize that we can't know where all of these teams will finish in the rpi but I will be amazed if Northwestern, St. Joe's and Northern Iowa are in the top 50 at year end.
              I believe your statement was "at this point", not later. It's projected that Northwestern will be in the mid 40s, St. Joe's will stay the same, and UNI will drop to the mid 50s (of course a WSU win tonight will go a long way in helping that). Also Mo St is projected to improve slightly.

Also, projected, WSU would move from around 10 spots down to 2-3 spots above CU.

Comment

Let's just keep rooting for more "W"s. I wonder how many teams have our record with a better strength of schedule?

Comment

Let's just keep rooting for more "W"s. I wonder how many teams have our record with a better strength of schedule?
                  I love these type of questions:

There are 28 teams who have as good or better win/loss percentage as the Wichita State Shockers. Of the 28 teams only 14 have a better Strength-of-schedule (SOS) than WSU. They are:

Duke
                  Syracuse
                  Connecticut
                  Seton Hall
                  Kansas
                  Gonzaga
                  Georgetown
                  Baylor
                  Illinois
                  Ohio State
                  Indiana
                  UNLV
                  North Carolina
                  Southern Miss

That's pretty good company to be in as of today.

Go Shockers!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                    I love these type of questions:

There are 28 teams who have as good or better win/loss percentage as the Wichita State Shockers. Of the 28 teams only 14 have a better Strength-of-schedule (SOS) than WSU. They are:

Duke
                    Syracuse
                    Connecticut
                    Seton Hall
                    Kansas
                    Gonzaga
                    Georgetown
                    Baylor
                    Illinois
                    Ohio State
                    Indiana
                    UNLV
                    North Carolina
                    Southern Miss

That's pretty good company to be in as of today.

Go Shockers!!!
                    Those teams are going to make this years NIT much more difficult. I'm not sure if we have the ability to repeat versus that group.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      Around this time last year we were all high on how we were pretty sure we were an NCAA sure thing. Then came a home loss to SWOMO. Then a home loss to UNI. Then a home loss to SIU. Followed by losing to ISUb in the tourney. Granted we had no UNLV on our resume, but we can still easily blow it. Let's see how tonight goes.
                      Your sentiments and avatar suggest you've gone to a dark place.
                      Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                        Your sentiments and avatar suggest you've gone to a dark place.
                        Hopefully @Kung Wu: didn't forget his binky.
                        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

NOW I will pencil WSU in for an at-large bid. Still have a losing record against the top 50 and 50% against the top 100 (And, yes, I know the top 100 includes the top 50.)

Gotta hope that UNI finally pulls their head out of their backsides and starts beating someone or we lose a top-50 road win.

WSU's RPI went to 31 to 25. UNI's went from 30 to 38.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            NOW I will pencil WSU in for an at-large bid. Still have a losing record against the top 50 and 50% against the top 100 (And, yes, I know the top 100 includes the top 50.)

Gotta hope that UNI finally pulls their head out of their backsides and starts beating someone or we lose a top-50 road win.

WSU's RPI went to 31 to 25. UNI's went from 30 to 38.
                            May, I add:

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                            I believe your statement was "at this point", not later. It's projected that Northwestern will be in the mid 40s, St. Joe's will stay the same, and UNI will drop to the mid 50s (of course a WSU win tonight will go a long way in helping that). Also Mo St is projected to improve slightly.

Also, projected, WSU would move from around 10 spots down to 2-3 spots above CU.
                            And the rearranging of RPIs has started.

Comment

Are the stars beginning to align?

After last night's heroics by our own Toure' Murry, there are now 24 teams who have as good or better win/loss percentage as the Wichita State Shockers. Of the 24 teams, only 8 have a better Strength-of-schedule (SOS) than WSU. They are:

Duke
                              Syracuse
                              Kansas
                              Baylor
                              Illinois
                              Ohio State
                              UNLV
                              North Carolina

Comment

WOW! All of those teams are ranked, most very highly but where are we. Would somebody please send this information to Andy Katz and Jay Bilas! PLEASE! Thanks for the information Reaper!

Comment

Working...
                                X