Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's fairly simple to me.

3G did amazing things for WSU and Wichita as a whole.
    WSU/Wichita is in a better place because of 3G
    WSU/Wichita will stay in a better place because of 3G
    3G was an amazing coach and the vast majority of his players are better off because of him

3G crossed some lines that shouldn't/couldn't be crossed in the Coach/Player spectrum
    3G got away with crossing a lot of those lines because of the good things he did.

All those things can be true at the same time. That doesn't mean we have to decide that 3G was perfect or that he was a horrible man. He was a good man that crossed lines at times. Eventually that caught up to him. We can thank him for everything that he's done while realizing the path to keeping him as our coach would have been next to impossible due to the public nature of all of this. For those comparing it to Pitino, Self, Pearl etc. Public opinion is that while those coaches broke rules, they did things that the public doesn't mind seeing happen (paying players etc). Recruits don't care that you paid previous players. Physical and to a lesser extent verbal abuse is on the other end of the public spectrum. Unfortunately as a public school, that has to recruit players, the public spectrum matters and matters quite a bit. The players aren't angels in this, but unpaid 18-22 year old players are not and should not be held to the same standards as a 50+ year old coach that gets paid 3.5 million a year.

So thank him for what he did for WSU as his good far outweighed the bad. Also understand that the blame for what happens lies with him. Then we move on .. just like 3G will move on with his 7.75 million dollar thank you gift from the administration.

Comment

• The podcast is up .. it's an hour and 20 min so i haven't listened to it yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

It doesn't even need to be that overt.

But, yeah. Anyone who thinks that a coach couldn't make it clear that if the player leaves for a few days during the season is not acceptable is not being honest with themselves. Now, if I had more details as to the exact conversation that was had with GM and Kyles regarding this subject, I might be able to have an opinion on who was in the right and who was in the wrong, but I can see this type of dynamic being present. And given the personality of GM, how can anyone doubt that at the very least, this is within the realm of having at least some semblance of reality?
        Some context:

Kyles' grandmother passed away in 2008. She passed away in his very first semester, and Gregg's second season.

Kyles played pro ball overseas for 3-4 years and hopped clubs substantially during that time.
        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
          Do you have to have iTunes to listen?

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
            There is a 0% chance I’m going to listen to a Dug podcast.
            I love Ron (and 3G) a whole lot more than I despise Doug for being the idiot he is. I want to hear what Ron has to say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Do you have to have iTunes to listen?
              No...I'm guessing it's on other platforms too.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

No...I'm guessing it's on other platforms too.
                If anybody finds a link that actually works and doesn't require iTunes, please post here.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

It doesn't even need to be that overt.

But, yeah. Anyone who thinks that a coach couldn't make it clear that if the player leaves for a few days during the season is not acceptable is not being honest with themselves. Now, if I had more details as to the exact conversation that was had with GM and Kyles regarding this subject, I might be able to have an opinion on who was in the right and who was in the wrong, but I can see this type of dynamic being present. And given the personality of GM, how can anyone doubt that at the very least, this is within the realm of having at least some semblance of reality?
                  I just can’t see him telling a player they can’t visit their dying grandparent or even telling them they can but there will consequences.

However, David said it on Twitter so we should believe it 100%. And I am only partially joking. Why would he lie about something like that?

If true this story is worse than anything I’ve heard up to this point and makes me incredibly sad. That is not a joke.

Comment

If anybody finds a link that actually works and doesn't require iTunes, please post here.
                    Yea, the Apple Podcasts link doesn't work anywhere. Even looked it up in Google Podcasts and doesn't work there either. His stolen credit card must have bounced when submitting account payment

Comment

• First, great overall interview. Doug does a great job getting more out of Ron about the whole run then most people have. It was clear that Ron supports Shaq, loves Gregg, and he is highly disappointed that Gregg didn’t come clean. Because not coming clean has caused a riff that is now hard to repair.

Comment

• Don’t lie to me. Don’t steal from me.

Comment

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1-the...tate-74413599/

Updated to add link to just the podcast vs a list of all his podcasts.
                          Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; November 25, 2020, 10:57 AM.
                          Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• It's up on Apple Podcast app on your iPhone. Appears to be working fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                              It's up on Apple Podcast app on your iPhone. Appears to be working fine.
                              working now on google podcasts too

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1-the...tate-74413599/

Updated to add link to just the podcast vs a list of all his podcasts.
                                Oh dang, thanks for this! I tried "Alexa play the doug gottlieb show on iheartradio" on my Amazon Echo devices -- and it worked.

Comment

Working...
                                X