Morris Udeze is a Shocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
    For his career Jaimie Echinique had 28 assists to 90 turnovers. 0.33 assist to turnover ratio.

Shaq had 104 to 143. 0.73 ratio.

Mo has 16 to 43. 0.37 ratio.

Udoka Azubuike 60 to 172. 0.35 ratio.

Yeah, Mo could look to pass more when he gets the ball down low.

His teammates could also do a better job moving into an open space. I didn’t see a lot of that last night.

Is it because they practice with him and know he isn’t going to pass? It’s possible. But if you expect your center to be some kind of amazing passer you’re going to be disappointed more often than not.
    You have seen Mo for over two years. Would you rather move the offense through him or Ech?

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

You have seen Mo for over two years. Would you rather move the offense through him or Ech?
      I’d rather not see the offense run through our center unless we get like the next Anthony Davis or James Wiseman.

If I was forced to choose between the two players I would go with Echinique because he’s a better shot blocker and better player overall.

But I’m not going to pretend that Echinique didn’t frustrate me during his time here. He’s got a ton of length but he wasn’t the quickest footed guy when it came to guarding screens or big men. He could be a black hole in the post too and got his shot blocked more than a few times by smaller defenders.

Comment

I’d rather not see the offense run through our center unless we get like the next Anthony Davis or James Wiseman.

If I was forced to choose between the two players I would go with Echinique because he’s a better shot blocker and better player overall.

But I’m not going to pretend that Echinique didn’t frustrate me during his time here. He’s got a ton of length but he wasn’t the quickest footed guy when it came to guarding screens or big men. He could be a black hole in the post too and got his shot blocked more than a few times by smaller defenders.
        This is part of my overall point, which is you only make sending your offense through your post if the post has solid low post skills and a critical thinking skill set that allows them to recognize when to go to the basket and when to look for the open perimeter player. As you have proved through your research, college big men struggle with their critical thinking, therefore putting stock in running the offense through them isn't a good strategy. Now, we can't ignore our big men, because they are on scholarship along with the rest of the team and they need to on occasion be a threat to make baskets.

Comment

This is part of my overall point, which is you only make sending your offense through your post if the post has solid low post skills and a critical thinking skill set that allows them to recognize when to go to the basket and when to look for the open perimeter player. As you have proved through your research, college big men struggle with their critical thinking, therefore putting stock in running the offense through them isn't a good strategy. Now, we can't ignore our big men, because they are on scholarship along with the rest of the team and they need to on occasion be a threat to make baskets.
          And Mo scored 10 last night, 20/18 the two games prior so I consider him a threat to make baskets on occasion.

Comment

That makes sense, but it wasn't how I interpreted your original post during the game. I would 100% agree if you didn't specifically target Mo as the one the Shockers should move the offense through. He hasn't proved to have the critical thinking skills to pass out of the post. He has 4 assists and 20 turnovers on the year, so I hope you can see why I think he isn't the big to move the offense through. He makes 5 turnovers before he lucks out with an assist. That is pathetic at best.
            Welp, I called on an old friend to help me get through the second half, Mr. Jim Beam. Jim and I agreed that after all the failed drives and bombs from the 3-point stripe, perhaps inside out and reversing the ball might’ve loosened up the defense. Not that I think our offense always needs to run through the post, at times it might break a horrible series of offensive possessions. However, my opinions are just that and I will always just defer to doing what I’m good at...flying big jets.
            When your not practicing, someone somewhere is and when you meet him...he'll beat you.

Comment

And Mo scored 10 last night, 20/18 the two games prior so I consider him a threat to make baskets on occasion.
              See what happens when the defense falls asleep.

Comment

See what happens when the defense falls asleep.
                Right. Mo deserves zero credit for anything positive but the negative stuff is his fault and only his fault.

Comment

Right. Mo deserves zero credit for anything positive but the negative stuff is his fault and only his fault.
                  Mo is an MVC caliber post. He is what he is, yet at times he can provide value no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

To start the 2nd half, there was a rash of plays where MU slid over to the opposite side of the basket to help around the basket on a driving Memphis player. The Memphis player promptly drop the ball off to the man MU was guarding for an easy lay-in or dunk.

My question is: Who is a fault on all of these plays? The WSU player guarding the driver, MU leaving his man to help, no one rotating to take MU's man, or the coaching staff for lack of prep on what everyone is to do or not do in this situation?
                    In my opinion the player that is at fault is the player that should have been guarding the driver. All night long their guards did what ever they wanted . ALO look like an all american. Heck a fat man with a bad leg could have got to the cup against the shocks defense. Because our defense was so poor this forced MU to slide over to stop the penetration and the Memphis player simply dish off for a dunk or a lay up. Hate to beat a dead horse. But if the shocks do not fix this problem they are going to get hammer by a lot of teams in this league. Not being able to stop the penetration of the other team guards is a major problem. I sincerely hope that this problem is solved before they go to Cincy. And of course hitting wide open shots would help too.

I just watched Houston vs Temple. I will tell you what makes Houston so dam tough. You dont go to the cup on them. They stop the penetration. And if you are lucky enough to get by one of them, their big men play big and block your shot or force you to shoot a tough shot. And their bigs are only 6-8. But they play much bigger.

Comment

• Mo was not the reason we lost at Memphis. We got nothing from DD and Tyson. Credit their defense but we didn’t make the open shots we did have.

Mo is undersized for a 5 but he is the best we have. I wonder if we shouldn’t play Poor Bear at the 4 with Mo at the 5. Trey isn’t giving us much offensive so bring him off the bench. Use Jo B to give Mo breaks or if he is in foul trouble.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeWillShockU View Post
                        Mo was not the reason we lost at Memphis. We got nothing from DD and Tyson. Credit their defense but we didn’t make the open shots we did have.

Mo is undersized for a 5 but he is the best we have. I wonder if we shouldn’t play Poor Bear at the 4 with Mo at the 5. Trey isn’t giving us much offensive so bring him off the bench. Use Jo B to give Mo breaks or if he is in foul trouble.
                        I have thought about that move as well. Sigh.

Comment

• It was not Mo’s fault. He does his best with what he has to work with. It’s not his fault that IB did not recognize the severe mismatch in the post. This was just a game in which Mo was not gonna thrive.

Comment

• I only watched the Memphis highlights, but I was shocked at the kind of player MO has transformed into. He used to be a Cadillac'er extraordinaire when he stepped on campus. Now he's got a monster motor!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              It was not Mo’s fault. He does his best with what he has to work with. It’s not his fault that IB did not recognize the severe mismatch in the post. This was just a game in which Mo was not gonna thrive.
                              A voice of reason and sense.
                              Thank you Dan.

Mentioned multiple times, Mo is not a bad guy. He is playing with the talent he has and doing so out of position.
                              Once (and ever) JB develops, Mo can be shifted to #4, where he should be playing.

That is all.
                              Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                It was not Mo’s fault. He does his best with what he has to work with. It’s not his fault that IB did not recognize the severe mismatch in the post. This was just a game in which Mo was not gonna thrive.
                                You think post play is the main reason we lost against Memphis?

Comment

Working...
                                X