Drake Post Game Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ripemupshocks
    Just how many times do you have to tell someone to do something before they do it???

In the case of my kids, more times than I can remember. Heck I've got a thirteen year old that even after all these years, still can't make his bed in the morning. And I'm not in his room playing a match-up zone against him. :(
    My Daddy did not have any problems with me like that. I wonder why.

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks
      Just how many times do you have to tell someone to do something before they do it???

In the case of my kids, more times than I can remember. Heck I've got a thirteen year old that even after all these years, still can't make his bed in the morning. And I'm not in his room playing a match-up zone against him. :(

I'm 26 and I still don't make my bed in the mornings. I figure nobody should be going in my room to see it, plus I'm going to be sleeping in it in 15 hours anyway, why waste my time?
      "You can observe a lot just by watching."
      -- Yogi Berra

Comment

I don't like to complain, but is anyone else bothered by Phil (and others) that catch the ball, especially against a zone (which we are going to see a ton of) and immediately bend forward and drop the ball to their knees so that anyone and everyone can take a swipe at it?

I would also point out that with the ball at or below the waist, the only thing a player can do is turn the ball over.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
          I am starting to wonder about Gal.

He fumbled away the pass in the corner late in the game, when we had pulled within 3. (I think I am right on the score difference.)
          Did you notice an inbounds play where PT called for a pass, Gal passed it to him and Phil let it go through his hands and out of bounds. This was in the same place where Gal later "fumbled away the pass in the corner." I don't see your criticism of PT but I do see a double standard.
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316

He fumbled away the pass in the corner late in the game, when we had pulled within 3. (I think I am right on the score difference.)
            Did you notice an inbounds play where PT called for a pass, Gal passed it to him and Phil let it go through his hands and out of bounds. This was in the same place where Gal later "fumbled away the pass in the corner." I don't see your criticism of PT but I do see a double standard.
            1. I did not remember Phil's mishap. Of course, you are right, the sins are equal except as noted in 2.

2. With repspect to Gal's corner mishap in context, the game was riding on the play.

3. I just thought #2 along with other Gal mistakes have made me wonder about Gal. I am not including or excluding other players.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316

1. I did not remember Phil's mishap. Of course, you are right, the sins are equal except as noted in 2.

2. With repspect to Gal's corner mishap in context, the game was riding on the play.
              According to coach, the ball wasn't suppose to go to Gal, It was suppose to go to MG and he was open but they didn't pass it to him.

3. I just thought #2 along with other Gal mistakes have made me wonder about Gal. I am not including or excluding other players.
              I think there is probably plenty of criticisms to spread around for instance:

What about Matty B two in-bound passes that he threw straight to Drake players?

Or the two inbound passes where I believe Mantas (at least on one) didn't get back on D and they throw the length of the court for the easy dunk,

Or how bout Wendell at the free-three line looking like he was picked out the crowd for the FT competition (some in the crowd can actually shoot better),

I don't want even want to start on how weak this team play or on PJ

Comment

Ricky Del Rio: I agree that Gal's turnover came at a critical point in the game. Gal deserves criticism but (1) at least he's trying to do what he can to win and (2) he seems to be the focus of criticism while other players are given a free ride on SN. For example, who would have expected PJ to be such a nonfactor in a Valley game??
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

I've got a question about the two in-bounds plays that MB threw to Drake players? Why is our PG inbounding the ball? Wouldn't it make more sense for him to recieve the passes?

Comment

I do so love the armchair expertise that the losses bring out!

Spangler, I think that two factors to the question you raise about a decrease in shooting percentages of some returning players lies in 1) the loss of key offensive players in Wilson, Ogirri, Bradley and Martin, who relieved pressure from several of our current players (most notably PJ) and scored somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50 ppg, and 2) a new offense.

The replacements for the new players simply do not have the ability to score from the perimeter that Ogirri, Wilson, and Bradley had. Or if they do, they haven't shown it. I think that causes significantly more pressure for PJ, Gal, and Matt.

I am perplexed by PJ's play. He certainly does not seem to have the urgency one would expect from a fifth year senior and pre-season all conference selection.

I don't know why Matt threw in the ball on the plays Zardoz asked about. I understand Coach Marshall has dozens of inbounds plays with various players bringing the ball in. I would suggest you call and ask him about it on his call in show.

I agree it is not a toss up between Wendell and Gal. But I'll bet Gal would be the first to tell you that he needs to play much, much better. And I would guess he is far from alone in that sentiment.
                    Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Spangler, I think if you called in the coach's show and asked the question about Durley you would hear that JT is not starting because he does not play defense as well as PT.
                      Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
                        Spangler, I think that two factors to the question you raise about a decrease in shooting percentages of some returning players lies in 1) the loss of key offensive players in Wilson, Ogirri, Bradley and Martin, who relieved pressure from several of our current players (most notably PJ) and scored somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50 ppg, and 2) a new offense.

The replacements for the new players simply do not have the ability to score from the perimeter that Ogirri, Wilson, and Bradley had. Or if they do, they haven't shown it. I think that causes significantly more pressure for PJ, Gal, and Matt.
                        I compared the 2006-7 and 2007-8 shooting percentages of current players who played last year. We have had open shots that our players have missed. We seem to miss more of our open shots this year than we did last year. I agree that the whole offense has to be taken into account but, even taking this under consideration, I think we are shooting worse this year. An open shot is an open shot, independent of the other players on the team.

The bottom line is "What do we do in practice and how does this compare with last year?" I'm just curious if practice matters when it comes to shooting. I do think a new offense may be the main reason why the offense and defense are not smooth yet. I don't claim to be an expert; I am just a curious fan.

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
                          Spangler, I think if you called in the coach's show and asked the question about Durley you would hear that JT is not starting because he does not play defense as well as PT.
                          This would be a fine answer. However, in a game where nobody on either team seems to be able to score, putting in a player who scored almost a point per minute (13 points in 17 minutes) would seem to be a smarter move than keeping in a defender. JT had 4 turnovers, which is bad, but it seems to me that our need for points was predominant. I'm not a coach and I'm just curious.

Comment

drakes post game coments

The biggest problem with your team is when MT left he showed his true colors and put the screws to everybody,the school, the team, the fans and three young men that could have helped the team. Chris Brown, Ryan Bradley and David King. All three can shoot the three better then the guys you have now. Bradley is as strong as anyone in college ball and Chris and Daivd have size,quicks and ups. I know David and Ryan are playing at a lower level, but D is putting up some big # on offence and R as played his best games against Emporia # 7 at the time and Pittsburg State # 16 now and they are #1 in some offence and defence stats... Check NCAA.com and Heartland conference stats... Marshall made a big mistake by not taking a better look at all three

Comment

Joe Brown your delusional like most of the people on this board. About a year from now you all will be able to figure out who to really blame.
                              Pass the Doughnuts!

Comment

Marshall couldn't take a better look at them. While they were technically still on campus when Marshall arrived, they were very committed to other schools when Marshall arrived.

Ogirri's problems were mainly off-court (and then manifested on-court), but was there any effort to work with Sean to overcome some obstacles? Or did the previous coaching staff take a "who cares - let him transfer" attitude because they knew they were not going to be here?

It's expected that recruiting classes will evaporate with a coaching change. It's less expected that a coach will cut 3 front-court scholarship players (Brown, Butler, Bradley), cooperate in the transfer of the best shooter (Ogirri) and cut a potential scholarship walk-on player (King) before the coach leaves.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X