Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pinstripers
    Gal was horrible. The refs were fine.
    The only complaint I had with Gal tonight was he was trying to be the superstar that he's not ready to be. It seems he always takes the wrong shots and does the wrong things at the wrong times and that's when he most gets on my nerves.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan
      Originally posted by ABC
      Did anyone else think that Drake got away with a lot of reach in slaps and grabs?
      no
      Okay, then why don't we do the same thing?

It was very disrupting, I thought.

Comment

I am starting to wonder about Gal.

He fumbled away the pass in the corner late in the game, when we had pulled within 3. (I think I am right on the score difference.)
        This game was lost on the ft line, get off his AZZ , theres plenty of Blame to go around if thats what YOU HAVE to do.
        If we are playing better, then Gal isn't the only option on a tough pass down the sideline into a corner, with the 5 second call about to be blown ( at least he was hustling to try and get open ) even if it wasn't in a very good spot.

Yes it SEEMS like gal is making a lot of mistakes, ( he's a Soph. ) it's expected. but by the same token why is it that the team seems to keep going to him in those situations???? is It maybe because he is the one that at least isn't afraid to try top make something happen ???
        From the road I listen (Tune In radio) at home I watch ( season Ticks )

Comment

The depressing thing is, bad free thow shooters do not become good free throw shooters over night. In fact, bad free throw shooters are pretty much going to be bad free throw shooters their entire career. You can either shoot, or you can't, and all the practicing in the world is not going to change that. You may be able to increase you percentage a small amount with improved technique, but a bad shooter is a bad shooter for life. I mean, there are dozens of NBA players who shoot in the 50% range. Wouldn't they be better by now if 'pratcicing' free throws made you a good free throw shooter.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
            Originally posted by shockerfan
            Originally posted by ABC
            Did anyone else think that Drake got away with a lot of reach in slaps and grabs?
            no
            Okay, then why don't we do the same thing?

It was very disrupting, I thought.
            I agree, we needed to be more aggressive.
            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me
              The depressing thing is, bad free thow shooters do not become good free throw shooters over night. In fact, bad free throw shooters are pretty much going to be bad free throw shooters their entire career. You can either shoot, or you can't, and all the practicing in the world is not going to change that. You may be able to increase you percentage a small amount with improved technique, but a bad shooter is a bad shooter for life. I mean, there are dozens of NBA players who shoot in the 50% range. Wouldn't they be better by now if 'pratcicing' free throws made you a good free throw shooter.
              I disagree...alot of shooting from the line is mental. We have guys who have good form and technique but it just didn't go in. Durley is a good example, last night I said before he shot it that he was going to miss because it seemed he thought about it too long before he took the shot. Marshall has said before that everyone shoots the freethrow well in practice. That means it's mental when the game comes around.
              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Yes, mental. You know that Ramon or Wendell are not gonna shoot 90%, but 50% would be nice. Phil and Mantas and JT need to do better. They should shoot 75+. Some of our poor 3-point shooting came from the fact that we took more bad shots from beyond the arc than we normally do.

Comment

I would like to see Phil, JT, Ellis, Preadom and Matt start on Tuesday.

I just don't get PJ. I don't see any urgency in his play. This is his last year and he's certainly not going pro missing free throws and bunnies!

JT has been the biggest least likely positive. PJ has probably been my biggest least likely disappointment.

Mantas is going to be absolutely embarrassed by the game tape. I counted at least six times where his man blew by him from a dead stop to create an easy basket. I mean, there was 10 feet between Mantas and his man before he even began to react.

I'm hoping that Coach sends a message to a few of these players. I think Gal has more potential than Wendell but I haven't seen it lately.

Comment

We don't have any natural shooters on the team, by that, I mean someone with a 1 nice fluid stroke all the way through the shot. Last year, Kyle Wilson was the only one with a real good shooting stroke that was fluid when he shot.

And if you noticed he shot free throws the same way, and I think he averaged around 82% at the line last year. Players that are good usually have a fluid shooting form.

And what I have noticed about free throws, is a lot of our players acting like free throws aren't going to matter, and you know what, they don't end up mattering because of their attitude before they ever shoot. Thomasson is the only one I have seen that acts like he is concentrating on his free throws before he shoots them.

Comment

While few, there were some nice moments.

1. JT's base line drive to the basket, even though he missed the shot. It was a very nice power drive. As a freshman, he is feeling pretty good right now about what he can do against defenders.

2. There was a contest between Korver and PJ for a rebound at the north end. Korver had position and leverage on PJ. PJ viciously ripped the ball out of Korver's hands. The nice moment was the power and the look on Korver's face.

Korver's next trip to the weight room will be his first trip. I have never been a Klayton Korver fan and nothing has changed. He is so over rated. He made 2 of 7 last night and both were prayers.

3. When Ellis jumped over a hunkered down Josh Young to avoid a foul. Pretty impressive.

Comment

I was embarrassed by my own actions last night. It has been a long time since I have vocally expressed my disgust out load for a home player or a shocker team at a game.

I was having frightening flash backs of the days where we were lucky to score 55 points...I believe it was the Scott Thompson era.

The only thing worse than losing is watching a loss due to an enemic offense. Our guys looked like pansies out there last night.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapshot9 wrote:
                          We don't have any natural shooters on the team, by that, I mean someone with a 1 nice fluid stroke all the way through the shot. Last year, Kyle Wilson was the only one with a real good shooting stroke that was fluid when he shot.
                          I think Aaron Ellis comes closest to being the natural shooter we're looking for. If you watch his freethrow shooting, he has a nice, smooth touch. He's 6 for 6 from the line on the year. Also his outside shot looks nice. He's just needs more D-1 playing experience to improve his defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                            If the garbage time points were subtracted, Drake beat us by 3.

As poorly as we shot, we could have won by playing a little smarter.

I imagine the Shockers will not grade out too well on Coach Marshall's non-negotiables.

He fumbled away the pass in the corner late in the game, when we had pulled within 3. (I think I am right on the score difference.)

His drive into the paint with a behind the back dribble and attempt to split two defenders was not a thing of beauty. Foul on Gal.

Drake #31 hit two straight unguarded 3s. Later Gal was on him at the 3 line and for some inexplicable reason, he chose to slough off and guess what ole #31 did? It's now three in a row. 31 is one of those guys, who absolutley cannot shoot with a hand anywhere near his face.
                            I think there are a combination of things that have had a negative effect on Gals play.

1. He's a sophomore.
                            2. He's a sophomore trying to learn a new system.
                            3. He's a sophomore trying to learn a new system and being asked to contribute more than he has the ability to because there really isn't anyone on the bench who can step in and do the job.
                            4. I really think playing in the junior league in Europe, where defense is not a priority, has hurt Gal to a certain extent. When he plays there, he's one of the best, and can do pretty much whatever he wants to on the court. But when he gets back here, it's a whole new ball game. I was one of those that did not believe Gal would replace MB this season. But I did have high hopes for Gal to take over as the starting PG his junior year. Perhaps staying here for most of next summer (not all, but most) would be good for his game.
                            "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

1979 and Ripemup, I agree with both of you, but if I took as long to learn my job as the players are taking to learn theirs, I would be fired.

This is more or less their 'job', after all they are on scollies, and they have played for years before coming here. Just how many times do you have to tell someone to do something before they do it???

Might be the 'Cool Hand Luke' syndrome??? :yes:

It always seems like our Offense sputters, rarely does it ever get to flowing smoothly. We need to create more on Offense.

I understand the emphasis on Defense, but I sure hope that CGM doesn't suffer from the 'Herm Edwards' syndrome? (all defense, no offense)

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks
                                Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
                                If the garbage time points were subtracted, Drake beat us by 3.

As poorly as we shot, we could have won by playing a little smarter.

I imagine the Shockers will not grade out too well on Coach Marshall's non-negotiables.

His drive into the paint with a behind the back dribble and attempt to split two defenders was not a thing of beauty. Foul on Gal.

Drake #31 hit two straight unguarded 3s. Later Gal was on him at the 3 line and for some inexplicable reason, he chose to slough off and guess what ole #31 did? It's now three in a row. 31 is one of those guys, who absolutley cannot shoot with a hand anywhere near his face.
                                I think there are a combination of things that have had a negative effect on Gals play.

1. He's a sophomore.
                                2. He's a sophomore trying to learn a new system.
                                3. He's a sophomore trying to learn a new system and being asked to contribute more than he has the ability to because there really isn't anyone on the bench who can step in and do the job.
                                4. I really think playing in the junior league in Europe, where defense is not a priority, has hurt Gal to a certain extent. When he plays there, he's one of the best, and can do pretty much whatever he wants to on the court. But when he gets back here, it's a whole new ball game. I was one of those that did not believe Gal would replace MB this season. But I did have high hopes for Gal to take over as the starting PG his junior year. Perhaps staying here for most of next summer (not all, but most) would be good for his game.
                                Gal better get better or he won't even be starting NEXT year.

Comment

Working...
                                X