Landry Shamet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
    Public spaces are not private property. If enough people get together and agree that they want to peacefully remove a statue or a flag that glorifies the worst of American history then great. And I don’t mean a mob of people should remove or destroy it themselves in the middle of the night.
    So MOB rule should be the way to decide. I hope that our jails don’t give in to your MOB rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

So MOB rule should be the way to decide. I hope that our jails don’t give in to your MOB rule.
      I guess it’s too much to expect you to actually read my post where I said it should be a peaceful consensus driven decision not a mob in the middle of the night taking things into their own hands.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

have there been any peaceful consensus led removals?
        Yes, removing the confederate flag in Mississippi for one example.

Comment

It blows my mind how people somehow conflate building a statue of someone some how glorifies only the very worst of that person.

Should we "cancel" MLK because of his not-so-great history with women? I mean it's 2020 and Women's Right is a huge cause, isn't it?

Forget all the good he did or stood for or what could be learned from him. It doesn't matter if you did 10,000 good deeds, if you did just 1 bad one.

Since he has some demons in his past (unlike the "woke" people of today, who are holier than Christ and never committed a sin in their lives) we need to tear down every statue, rename every street, and remove the holiday honoring him. We need to remove him from the history books.

Am I 2020-ing right?!
          Last edited by Shock Top; July 6, 2020, 11:06 PM.
          The Assman

Comment

Yes, removing the confederate flag in Mississippi for one example.
            Pie, You must have had a bad grade in Civics class, as you show a deficiency. The Mississippi legislature who were elected (elected by all voters in that state) democratically, decided to take down the confederate flag and that decision was long overdue imo. This was not an example of MOB rule but a part of Democracy. I doubt you understand how the Communist Party is chosen either. They say their system elects but no one is chosen that the only party (Communist) doesn’t rubber stamp. That is a good example of MOB rule (rule of a small group).

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
              It blows my mind how people somehow conflate building a statue of someone some how glorifies only the very worst of that person.

Should we "cancel" MLK because of his not-so-great history with women? I mean it's 2020 and Women's Right is a huge cause, isn't it?

Forget all the good he did or stood for or what could be learned from him. It doesn't matter if you did 10,000 good deeds, if you did just 1 bad one.

Since he has some demons in his past (unlike the "woke" people of today, who are holier than Christ and never committed a sin in their lives) we need to tear down every statue, rename every street, and remove the holiday honoring him. We need to remove him from the history books.

Am I 2020-ing right?!
              I can’t wait to see the list of good deeds of the confederacy that outweighs their desire to maintain and expand the practice of slavery.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Pie, You must have had a bad grade in Civics class, as you show a deficiency. The Mississippi legislature who were elected (elected by all voters in that state) democratically, decided to take down the confederate flag and that decision was long overdue imo. This was not an example of MOB rule but a part of Democracy. I doubt you understand how the Communist Party is chosen either. They say their system elects but no one is chosen that the only party (Communist) doesn’t rubber stamp. That is a good example of MOB rule (rule of a small group).
                Yes, that’s why I chose the Mississippi flag situation as an example instead of people tearing a statue down or defacing it in the middle of the night. Thanks for adding more detail.

Comment

I’m sorry but this has nothing to do with freedom of speech. Slavery is not an issue that any person should defend.

People should be ashamed to fly the confederate flag because of its history and what it stands for. That being said, what people do on their own property within the obvious limits of legality, is their own business.

Public spaces are not private property. If enough people get together and agree that they want to peacefully remove a statue or a flag that glorifies the worst of American history then great. And I don’t mean a mob of people should remove or destroy it themselves in the middle of the night.
                  What a load of condescending bull s***. Who on this board do you know that's defending slavery? Are you implying somebody was? It's done with, never to come back, ok? Really.

And I vehemently disagree that free speech has nothing to do with what's going on around the country now. If you feel differently and want to discuss it further start a thread in the political forum. We're not allowed to discuss this over here. People would get offended here you know.
                  Last edited by ShockingButTrue; July 7, 2020, 01:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Don't even start that condescending bull s***. Blow it out your ass mr. righteous.

Who on this board do you know that's defending slavery? Are you implying somebody was? And I vehemently disagree that free speech has nothing to do with what's going on around the country now. If you feel differently and want to discuss it further start a thread in the political forum. We're not allowed to discuss this over here. People would get offended here you know.
                    I didn’t realize that taking taking a stance against monuments and symbols honoring the confederacy would be so controversial.

Comment

I didn’t realize that taking taking a stance against monuments and symbols honoring the confederacy would be so controversial.
                      Since this thread has already gotten out of hand, I don't believe most here are one bit concerned with anything regarding the confederacy outside of the fact they should be taken down by the local governments and not the mobs.

How about statues and monuments of Washington, Grant, Columbus, Gandhi, Matthias Baldwin, WW I Memorial, Soldiers and Sailors Monument, fallen Peace Officers Memorial, Robert Gould Shaw and the 54th Regiment Memorial, even Frederick Douglass that have been pulled down, defaced, and/or damaged?

It's the "mob rule" mentality that is being let run amuck that is a problem more than any statue.

Comment

Dude, there is a gnarly undercurrent of grievance based politics in this country, and this board is not immune. We had a poster celebrating the assault, ending in death, of an admittedly misguided protestor in the political forum. Anyone left of Barry Goldwater is a Marxist bent on the ultimate destruction of the country. The fact that Kansans, for example, fought the Confederate traitors tooth and nail as both regular federal soldiers and in guerilla actions along the Missouri border is lost in the defense of Confederate monuments as part of "our history." I don' truck with rioters and I abhor the cancel culture, but there is no room for nuance with these guys and it's about 5 or 6 in the politics forum echo chamber. I'm really disappointed with the situation. But, I'm not really surprised.
                        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Since this thread has already gotten out of hand, I don't believe most here are one bit concerned with anything regarding the confederacy outside of the fact they should be taken down by the local governments and not the mobs.

How about statues and monuments of Washington, Grant, Columbus, Gandhi, Matthias Baldwin, WW I Memorial, Soldiers and Sailors Monument, fallen Peace Officers Memorial, Robert Gould Shaw and the 54th Regiment Memorial, even Frederick Douglass that have been pulled down, defaced, and/or damaged?

It's the "mob rule" mentality that is being let run amuck that is a problem more than any statue.
                          As the OP pie n eye already stated that he didn't support mob action. Why conflate that with his point?
                          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

It's obviously way more controversial to you. That's why your throwing out a load of self-righteous BS. Just get to the point. Do you think a segment of society pines for slavery? If you do, do you know how ignorant that is.

SLAVERY IS OVER AND IT AIN'T COMING BACK. Did you find that offensive?

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

As the OP pie n eye already stated that he didn't support mob action. Why conflate that with his point?
                              How could you not conflate it? That is ALL we are seeing. You're not even listening.

Discussion my a**. Save the lecture. Bias is illegal ok, and slavery is over. Nobody's out to get 'em (that I know, and probably you too).
                              Last edited by ShockingButTrue; July 7, 2020, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

They're not listening to you ShockTalk. They want you to listen.

Comment

Working...
                                X