Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
    "

Yeah. I was talking specifically about the second half last night.

Mike Kennedy's sidekick (the guy who took Dave Dahl's place) said last night in the post game analysis that "the crowd never got into the game the second half".

Paul S. in his blog said "CU 57, WSU 51 (6:50) - Crowd silent. Jays are getting open shots and making them. WSU cold from three."

Read more here: http://blogs.kansas.com/shockwaves/#storylink=cpy
    Yea, I'm sure the crowd in Lawrence & Chapel Hill never go silent when their team plays like a bunch of Nancy's.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
      The announcer for the EU/UNI game said the crowd at Koch Arean created one of the best atmosphere he has been to for college basketball.
      I think it is David Kaplan (ESPNU announcer) at the EU/UNI game that made the comment. I went back to listen and here is what he said:

"Having seen Wichita and Creighton last night, that was one of the best environments I have ever been in for a basketball game and I have gone [to] several hundred games over the last few seasons. It was awesome at the Koch Arena last night in Wichita ....It was just a spectacular environment. Over 10,000 in there."

Now, I have no idea if he was limiting his comments to only the first half. Sounded more like he was talking about the whole game.

Comment

"

Mike Kennedy's sidekick (the guy who took Dave Dahl's place) said last night in the post game analysis that "the crowd never got into the game the second half".

Paul S. in his blog said "CU 57, WSU 51 (6:50) - Crowd silent. Jays are getting open shots and making them. WSU cold from three."
        Well let's see here now. Behind 6 points with less than 7 minutes to play. Your team is putting up clankers while the other team is getting open shots (meaning poor defense) and making them. (And this has been going on for most of the previous 13 minutes). My, my, shame on the crowd for being quiet.

Every time we tried to get behind the team they did one of the above two things (throw up clankers, or let CU have a clear field to the basket). Sorry, I don't put any of the onus on the crowd at all. I'm not sure what you expect from the fans, but I personally feel you're a bit unreasonable as well as unfair.

Comment

"

Mike Kennedy's sidekick (the guy who took Dave Dahl's place) said last night in the post game analysis that "the crowd really never got going in the second half".

SuperFan1989, what are you trying to argue? I don't think anyone is denying the crowd went silent through much of the second half. What you're failing to grasp is the reasons why that happened. I would honestly let this one go and try and save face.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The crowd was electric when the game was going well. The crowd tried so hard to get into the game, but when the team enjoys masonry as much as they did in the 2nd half, it was hard for the crowd to keep the sound up when it was brick after brick. The crowd was superb in the first half, but they also had something to cheer about.
            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

"

Mike Kennedy's sidekick (the guy who took Dave Dahl's place) said last night in the post game analysis that "the crowd really never got going in the second half".

Correct if I'm wrong, but I really don't remember 'The Crowd' committing any turnovers last night.

Don't remember any bad shots either.

In fact, I don't remember 'The Crowd' making one bad decision after another.

Are you really that much of a J.O. to believe a crowd determines what happens on the basketball floor?

Here's a clue Jethro.

The 'Crowd' are paying customers. That's right, they reach into their jeans and pull out the greens.

The coaches get paid to be there and are well compensated.

The players have the privilege of playing D-1 basketball plus, earn a full ride college scholarship.

I have yet to see the 'Crowd' make one basket or win a basketball game.

If and when it ever occurs, you make sure and let me know. I want to be the first informed of history in the making.
              Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                The crowd was electric when the game was going well. The crowd tried so hard to get into the game, but when the team enjoys masonry as much as they did in the 2nd half, it was hard for the crowd to keep the sound up when it was brick after brick. The crowd was superb in the first half, but they also had something to cheer about.
                Bricks, or missing shots badly, is one thing, but taking bad shots and missing is something else all together. I saw turn around 3s, there were floating sideways 3s, poor 3 point shooter taking a 3 off the first pass with 30 seconds left on the shot clock, rushed shots that were closely guarded, and a 7'r clanking a lay up over a midget when he should have done a dunk, on and on.

Most passes were going to players already standing in place (that means the defender is already there as well). A few of us were talking about the game afterwards and commented on how you could count our 5 players (1,2,3,4,5) two or three times before anyone really moved.

We have a deep bench where even the freshman have reasonable game experience. More "messages" needed to be sent. Kyles, who has usually been stellar on D, got used up often and played 35 minutes. Murry wasn't much better, was a liability on offense, made numerous bad decisions, and played 27. Cotton, who is an asset on D (which we needed), played only 12 minutes, while taking no shots, but making 2 for 2 FT, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, and no fouls or TOs. Since EO was no help, try White (better D and rebounding than Anacreon) at PF with Hall and 3 other main players. I don't think he'd done worse than Garrett that game.

Comment

Even in the 1981 NCAA Iowa game a couple of others have cited -- the best effort I've ever heard by a crowd to fire up a team -- the players had to turn the crowd on first. Iowa was up 11 at halftime and scored the first two baskets of the second half as well. At that point it was 40-25, Tony Martin, the guy who made the Shocks go, was out with a scary looking back injury, and the crowd was eager but pretty quiet and restive. It took three straight Shocker baskets with the help of some pressure defense, an Iowa time out, and a perfectly timed drumbeat as the teams left the floor and the pep band pounded out the beginning of the Low Brass cheer, to get the crowd started.

From that point on, we never settled down -- I know I was plenty hoarse after the game -- and I still believe the crowd played a role in that comeback, which took forever to complete and progressed two steps forward and one back for most of the second half. But it was the team whose play got things started, not the other way around. Against Creighton, unfortunately, it was the team's play that helped quiet the crowd. Not the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
                    Correct if I'm wrong, but I really don't remember 'The Crowd' committing any turnovers last night.

Don't remember any bad shots either.

In fact, I don't remember 'The Crowd' making one bad decision after another.

Are you really that much of a J.O. to believe a crowd determines what happens on the basketball floor?

Here's a clue Jethro.

The 'Crowd' are paying customers. That's right, they reach into their jeans and pull out the greens.

The coaches get paid to be there and are well compensated.

The players have the privilege of playing D-1 basketball plus, earn a full ride college scholarship.

I have yet to see the 'Crowd' make one basket or win a basketball game.

If and when it ever occurs, you make sure and let me know. I want to be the first informed of history in the making.
                    A voice of reason.

Of course the "experts" on this board will not agree.
                    An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

The crowd?!? That's just horse manure ... we've heard "it's the band's fault, the production crew's fault, the scoreboard operator's fault, the crowd's fault, the coach's fault, and the player's fault" over and over, ad nauseum, for as many years as I have been on Shockernet.

But nobody, and I mean NOBODY is talking about the damn security guards at the tunnels. Here is the deal .. they stand there and smile at you when you walk in and maybe exchange some chit-chat or help someone that's never been to a game before to find their seat. Fine. But ... when the game gets tough they just keep standing there being useless. PICK A FAN UP AND THROW EM OVER THE RAIL!! MAKE A STATEMENT!! I'm just sick of those smiling security guards.

And don't even get me started on the concessions staff.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

This is a different season
                        With a different team
                        With different players
                        Playing different competition
                        The crowd is the same
                        and so are all these complaints and criticisms
                        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Stale Nacho's make Rosewood's blood boil, but never heard him blame a loss on that mishap. Could stale nacho's be the "missing link" to the Creighton loss?
                          Last edited by forevershockerfan; January 2, 2012, 09:21 AM.
                          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Very nice @Kung Wu: --especially before 8 a.m.
                            "If you strive for perfection, often times you can achieve excellence." --Gregg Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              The crowd?!? That's just horse manure ... we've heard "it's the band's fault, the production crew's fault, the scoreboard operator's fault, the crowd's fault, the coach's fault, and the player's fault" over and over, ad nauseum, for as many years as I have been on Shockernet.

But nobody, and I mean NOBODY is talking about the damn security guards at the tunnels. Here is the deal .. they stand there and smile at you when you walk in and maybe exchange some chit-chat or help someone that's never been to a game before to find their seat. Fine. But ... when the game gets tough they just keep standing there being useless. PICK A FAN UP AND THROW EM OVER THE RAIL!! MAKE A STATEMENT!! I'm just sick of those smiling security guards.

And don't even get me started on the concessions staff.
                              Or the tickettakers. the little oriental cleanning ladies with their brooms and dustpans and the candlestick makers.

What do those tickettakers do with those stun guns after the crowd has arrived. Nothing that I can tell. And if we did have a ruckus to take care I think the little old cleaning ladies could take the security guards.

And what do candlestick makers have to do with it you say? Where do you think the wax for 3G's hair comes from. If they don't get that just right were screwed.

Comment

It's those extra lights in the ceiling ESPN insists we turn on for the games they broadcast here.

Comment

Working...
                                X