Crowd needs to share in the blame for the 15 point loss in the second half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crowd needs to share in the blame for the 15 point loss in the second half

CU outscored WSU 37-22 in the second half. This is totally unacceptable. We should NEVER get outscored by 15 points in a half at home. Unfortunately the crowd was totally dead to start the second half and never really got into the game.

I wasn't sure we were even going to stand and clap to start the second half (many in my section didn't). I don't know if the 8 point half time lead and new year's eve parties on people's minds took the focus off the game or what. But the crowd just didn't contribute either in the second half.

I don't want to ever hear again what a great crowd we have, because we also totally failed in the second half.

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
    CU outscored WSU 37-22 in the second half. This is totally unacceptable. We should NEVER get outscored by 15 points in a half at home. Unfortunately the crowd was totally dead to start the second half and never really got into the game.

I wasn't sure we were even going to stand and clap to start the second half (many in my section didn't). I don't know if the 8 point half time lead and new year's eve parties on people's minds took the focus off the game or what. But the crowd just didn't contribute either in the second half.

I don't want to ever hear again what a great crowd we have, because we also totally failed in the second half.
    The crowd definitely tried to get into it throughout the second half. The team never gave us the opportunities, because they couldn't capitalize on defensive stops. I would definitely disagree with you. The team came out flat and didn't hit shots. That was not on the crowd.

Comment

Hard to cheer when there are bricks flying the air and you dont have a hard hat.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post

BS! Sorry, I'm not sharing.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

It's the crowd's fault because we didn't start cheering for Creighton. The only way this team flippin' wins conference games is when they're on road.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerofandover0943 View Post
            The crowd definitely tried to get into it throughout the second half. The team never gave us the opportunities, because they couldn't capitalize on defensive stops. I would definitely disagree with you. The team came out flat and didn't hit shots. That was not on the crowd.
            This!
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
              Hard to cheer when there are bricks flying the air and you dont have a hard hat.
              my thoughts exactly. What are we supposed to do, clap for the re-painting of the rim?
              Phi Alpha

Comment

One of the worst threads ever created.

Gee, it's kinda hard to get into the game when an 8 point halftime lead evaporated into thin air about 120 seconds in.

Get a freaking clue.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I understand being frustrated but to blame the home crowd? Jeesh! My family probably wasn't the only ones who lost their voices tonight cheering for our Shox. We cheered our butts off. There is plenty of blame to go around but none should be pointed in the crowds direction.
                  When your not practicing, someone somewhere is and when you meet him...he'll beat you.

Comment

I made a comment to my cousin after the game that I thought the crowd was very disappointing in the second half. His response was that it was awful in the second half but it was also disappointing in the first half. I said that I thought it was fine in the first half but just was too quiet in the 2nd. He said other than a few minutes, it wasn't much better in the first half.

So people do have different perspectives.

I don't think anyone can deny that the crowd was pretty quiet in the second half. I guess you can try and blame it on the team not playing well, but great crowds cheer the team even when they are down too to try and will them to a victory. Your typical, average crowd goes nuts when your team makes a great play. Great crowds cheer them on to try and create the great plays.

The best example of a great crowd was the Iowa game in 1981. The Shockers got down by 14 in the second half (before the 3 point line, so it was like being down by 20 today) and the crowd just went nuts and I believe willed the team to come back and win the game. It was the best game I have ever attended.

I don't know if we could have willed the team to victory tonight, but I can say that we didn't even try.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                      I made a comment to my cousin after the game that I thought the crowd was very disappointing in the second half. His response was that it was awful in the second half but it was also disappointing in the first half. I said that I thought it was fine in the first half but just was too quiet in the 2nd. He said other than a few minutes, it wasn't much better in the first half.

So people do have different perspectives.

I don't think anyone can deny that the crowd was pretty quiet in the second half. I guess you can try and blame it on the team not playing well, but great crowds cheer the team even when they are down too to try and will them to a victory. Your typical, average crowd goes nuts when your team makes a great play. Great crowds cheer them on to try and create the great plays.

The best example of a great crowd was the Iowa game in 1981. The Shockers got down by 14 in the second half (before the 3 point line, so it was like being down by 20 today) and the crowd just went nuts and I believe willed the team to come back and win the game. It was the best game I have ever attended.

I don't know if we could have willed the team to victory tonight, but I can say that we didn't even try.
                      The first half was extremely good, especially the last 10 minutes. I had lost my voice by half.

The second half was a different story, but not because the crowd refused to "will" them back to victory. It is hard to get any crowd noise and momentum when you allow your opponent to shoot 50% in a half. Think about it, this is how the last 18 minutes of the game went - Shockers get a defensive stop about half the time, which gets the crowd very excited and just waiting for our offense to do something positive, our offense dribbles down the court and one of our players (not named Carl Hall) either misses a wide open shot or forces a shot and misses. Then, Creighton dribbles back down the court and hits a shot right in our faces. How in the world can you get excited about that? 15 point swing in the second half and none of our seniors do anything about it.

If our players refuse to step up on the court, then there is very little that our fans can do to change that.

We definitely tried and for you to say that "we didn't even try" is pretty crazy.

And I'm guessing that when the crowd was cheering on the Shockers in the '81 game against Iowa, the Shockers were getting stops on defense and scoring on the other end. That is how they came back and won, I'd guess? Well, we were doing neither of those things in the second half, so there wasn't much in terms of momentum and crowd noise.
                      Last edited by shockerofandover0943; January 1, 2012, 01:53 AM.

Comment

This is insane.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                          This is insane.
                          +1

Comment

Originally posted by shockerofandover0943 View Post
                            The first half was extremely good, especially the last 10 minutes. I had lost my voice by half.

The second half was a different story, but not because the crowd refused to "will" them back to victory. It is hard to get any crowd noise and momentum when you allow your opponent to shoot 50% in a half. Think about it, this is how the last 18 minutes of the game went - Shockers get a defensive stop about half the time, which gets the crowd very excited and just waiting for our offense to do something positive, our offense dribbles down the court and one of our players (not named Carl Hall) either misses a wide open shot or forces a shot and misses. Then, Creighton dribbles back down the court and hits a shot right in our faces. How in the world can you get excited about that? 15 point swing in the second half and none of our seniors do anything about it.

If our players refuse to step up on the court, then there is very little that our fans can do to change that.

We definitely tried and for you to say that "we didn't even try" is pretty crazy.

And I'm guessing that when the crowd was cheering on the Shockers in the '81 game against Iowa, the Shockers were getting stops on defense and scoring on the other end. That is how they came back and won, I'd guess? Well, we were doing neither of those things in the second half, so there wasn't much in terms of momentum and crowd noise.

I lost my voice too. I was certainly trying to do my part. In fact, I embarrased my nephew who was sitting next to me, because I did stand and yell a lot in the second half. I did in the first half too, but there were others in our section who did as well. In the second half, I was pretty much the only one.

My nephew said he was going to tell people he didn't know me. He pretty much pulled out his Iphone and sat and texted with his head down in the 2nd half.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                              I lost my voice too. I was certainly trying to do my part. In fact, I embarrased my nephew who was sitting next to me, because I did stand and yell a lot in the second half. I did in the first half too, but there were others in our section who did as well. In the second half, I was pretty much the only one.

My nephew said he was going to tell people he didn't know me. He pretty much pulled out his Iphone and sat and texted with his head down in the 2nd half.
                              I understand that. Definitely frustrating

Comment

Working...
                              X