Steve Forbes to Wake Forest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
    Coach Forbest wastes no time taking a shot at UK academics. LOL. Love it!

"I think the most important thing is, why would you go to Wake for three years, put all that time in to get this prestigious degree, and end up getting your degree at a place like Kentucky?" Forbes said he told Sarr during a radio interview with North Carolina-based WSJS on Tuesday.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...p-olivier-sarr
    wow...I love it ...hope he does not have to eat it....

Comment

Coach Forbest wastes no time taking a shot at UK academics. LOL. Love it!

"I think the most important thing is, why would you go to Wake for three years, put all that time in to get this prestigious degree, and end up getting your degree at a place like Kentucky?" Forbes said he told Sarr during a radio interview with North Carolina-based WSJS on Tuesday.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...p-olivier-sarr
      Makes himself sound like a jaded scorned lover to me...really no point in doing that...

Comment

Jans no longer in the running for ETSU and is staying at NMSU. Wonder if he just got himself a raise?

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
          Jans no longer in the running for ETSU and is staying at NMSU. Wonder if he just got himself a raise?
          Source?

Comment

Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

wow...I love it ...hope he does not have to eat it....
            Not sure why he would have to eat it. Academically, there is no disputing what he is saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Horn28Clem30 View Post

Makes himself sound like a jaded scorned lover to me...really no point in doing that...
              Except for this came out prior to Saar announcing he was going to Kentucky and while he was still considering Wake. Doesn't come off like a scorned lover. He is 100% correct.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Source?

Comment

Except for this came out prior to Saar announcing he was going to Kentucky and while he was still considering Wake. Doesn't come off like a scorned lover. He is 100% correct.
                  No way...it was obvious he was going to the younger more attractive other and he was sounding bitter. Let's be honest...no one blames anyone who would rather play at Kentucky over Wake Forest. Nothing but sour grapes was all that was.

Comment

No way...it was obvious he was going to the younger more attractive other and he was sounding bitter. Let's be honest...no one blames anyone who would rather play at Kentucky over Wake Forest. Nothing but sour grapes was all that was.
                    I disagree. Forbes knows that he will be "fighting" for recruits against Kentucky and he's setting the standard that he won't back down.

Everyone knows that UK is a better basketball factory and Wake Forest doesn't have much to "fight" with on the basketball front, but since they have higher academic standards which will inhibit Forbes, he can also use it as a "weapon" too which might get him a "smart" basketball player who is hopefully good on the court too.

UK will get more "dumb" basketball players too. :)

Comment

Whatever dude. Agree to disagree on it being sour grapes. Forbest is confident and calculated and doesn't mince words. I'm sure he wanted the kid to stay at Wake but he isn't wallowing in despair.

Comment

Nothing but sour grapes was all that was.
                        ???

He was throwing out some red meat for his new boosters.

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Sarr is a big loss for WFU, and a big gain for UK. He'll be in the NBA sometime soon.

The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

“I’m indebted to coach Marshall on a lot of levels for the rest of my life,” Forbes told the Eagle. “I wouldn’t be here talking to you as head coach at Wake Forest if it wasn’t for Gregg. I owe everything to him. Ultimately, it was his decision to bring me on and it was the best thing that ever happened to me.”

Comment

Five coaches who received a show-cause penalty from the NCAA but resurrected their careers - CBS Sports

by David Cobb
                              posted: 05/15/20, 11:15am cst

"The NCAA's dreaded show-cause penalty does not have to be a death sentence to a coaching career

Some have gone on to high school coaching careers, others have gotten out of basketball. Some have made their way back to college benches as assistants and others have found basketball jobs outside the NCAA's jurisdiction. But only a few basketball coaches to receive the dreaded show-cause penalty from the NCAA in the last two decades have gone on to be head coaches after serving their punishment. And none who were assistants when they received the show-cause had reached the pinnacle of being named a major-conference head coach until last month when Steve Forbes accepted the Wake Forest job.

But when Forbes accepted an ACC gig, he completed an improbable comeback that, in a decade's time, took him from a fired Tennessee assistant with the show-cause blemish to a likely seven-figure salary as the leader of a program in one of college basketball's top leagues.

It's arguably the best show-cause redemption story in college basketball history, because unlike Kelvin Sampson and Bruce Pearl, who have recovered well from show-cause penalties, Forbes had no track record as a Division I head coach when he received his punishment from the NCAA in 2011. Yet he found a way to not only survive in the game but to thrive and climb....

Wake Forest coach Steve Forbes
                              Time will tell if Steve Forbes if can return the Demon Deacons to the status they held as regulars in the NCAA Tournament for much of the 1990s and early 2000s. But the fact that he even has the chance is a testament to how well he's done in the past decade since being caught up in Pearl's snafu at Tennessee.

Forbes received a one-year show-cause in 2011 for violating the NCAA's "principles of cooperation and honesty" by not cooperating with the investigation into impermissible contact with prospects at Tennessee that took Pearl down. He was 46 when the punishment came down but quickly landed a junior college head coaching job at Northwest Florida State and thrived.

After amassing a 62-6 in two seasons at the JUCO level while his show-cause expired, Forbes returned to NCAA coaching as an assistant at Wichita State. Forbes worked under Shockers coach Gregg Marshall as the program went 35-1 in the Missouri Valley Conference and made two NCAA Tournament appearances during Forbes' time on staff.

He then took the ETSU head coaching job and promptly led the Bucs to five straight seasons of 20 wins or more, culminating with this season's 30-4 mark, before he was hired at Wake Forest....'

Others
                              Auburn coach Bruce Pearl
                              Houston coach Kelvin Sampson
                              Kent State coach Rob Senderoff
                              ETSU coach Jason Shay

Comment

Working...
                              X