Past Shockers favorite restaurants around town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Past Shockers favorite restaurants around town

The Wichita restaurant scene has been getting crushed lately due to Covid-19. I wanted to put together a small feel good piece. So I reached out to a bunch of past players to get their opinions on what they loved and/or missed in town. Here’s their responses:

What are you favorite restaurants around town? It's a common question I receive and one I also ask so many people. As a Shocker alum and season ticket holder,
    ============

Reviewing the best establishments and restaurants in Wichita
    www.wichitabyeb.com

Interesting. Spangles and Noodle and Co.? I am not judging.

Comment

In fairness, Spangles is owned by Craig Steven's family, so anyone around his time I'm sure ate there tons. Redrock Canyon (among others) was (is) a big supporter so I'm sure they traded many meals over the years. Not sure about Noodle's & Co. though.

Comment

Surprised to see only one player mention Wings N Things. That was my go to spot in Wichita for wings and was pretty close to campus. Sad to hear it’s now closed.
        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Fair point WuDuWu/ I really like Spangles. I've been a customer since they were "Coney Island" in the early 1980s! But "favorite" is what caught my attention.

Coney Island's ordering system had cameras on top of the clerk order sheets so the cooks/chefs could see the orders as soon as they were made. They were way ahead of their time, regarding restaurant technology.

Comment

I didn’t realize spangles didn’t paid celebrity endorsements.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded
            Who else posts fake **** all day in order to maintain the acrimony? Wingnuts, that's who.

Comment

No Carlos O'Kelly's queso shoutouts?!?!

Ouch....
              The Assman

Comment

What was the name of the burger joint in ICT back in the 80s (maybe longer) that had the huge burgers and basket of fries. For some reason, the name Big Eddy's comes to mind, but that may not be right. What ever the name, that place was great. I want to say it was on 21st and Woodlawn (maybe) in a shopping center.

Comment

Originally posted by eeshocker View Post
                  What was the name of the burger joint in ICT back in the 80s (maybe longer) that had the huge burgers and basket of fries. For some reason, the name Big Eddy's comes to mind, but that may not be right. What ever the name, that place was great. I want to say it was on 21st and Woodlawn (maybe) in a shopping center.
                  hope this is it, but i remember longneckers as a kid.. was amazed with the sides of beef hanging off to the side.. i was thinking that it was in the shopping center at central & woodlawn..

Comment

Two of my favs that closed the door...Takehomaburger and Charlie's.

Comment

Big Ed's! Loved that place. Plate sized hamburgers and a giant pile of greasy fries. And yes it was at 21st and Woodlawn, where I think Da Cajun Shak is located now.
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Not sure if it's still open, but back in the day, I liked the burgers at 'Timbuktu' near Andover.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post

hope this is it, but i remember longneckers as a kid.. was amazed with the sides of beef hanging off to the side.. i was thinking that it was in the shopping center at central & woodlawn..
                          Yes, Longneckers was at Central and Woodlawn.
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                            Not sure if it's still open, but back in the day, I liked Timbuktu Bar near Andover.

Timbuktu is still open and still has GREAT burgers.

Comment

The last remaining Big Ed's is in NW Oklahoma City.

Comment

Working...
                              X