Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the AAC move to a 20-game conference schedule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the AAC move to a 20-game conference schedule?

Right now, 7 of 32 conferences (a little over 20%; Atlantic Coast, Big Sky, Big Ten, PAC-12, Metro Atlantic, Southland, and Sun Belt) have 20-game conference schedules. In addition, recently the Atlantic-10 said they are strongly considering moving to a 20-game schedule for the 2020-21 season.

So, should the American Athletic move to a 20-game conference schedule? What are the pluses and minuses?
    No, 18-game schedule should remain
    22.41%
    Unsure/Don't Know
    5.17%
    Yes, 20-game schedule
    72.41%

The poll is expired.

I voted yes, i think the conference would do better by eliminating the potential of some teams to schedule soft and therefore decreasing our overall conference profile. Might also need it to decrease costs for teams, i.e, Buy Games, as the NCAA is significantly reducing payouts for this upcoming year.

Comment

Yes.

I'd rather our lower buy-games be replaced with conference games of the bottom teams. Better competition and challenge.

Hopefully, with two less non-con games to worry about, they can get all good opponents. I'd rather lose and be challenged, than win in a blowout.
      The Assman

Comment

Any move toward a balanced league schedule is a plus.

Comment

I can reasonably predict that there's a 50/50 shot at 20-21 season even happening, and on the 50% chance there is one, it will be shortened.

I've read many articles where bigger conferences are looking at less buy games and trying to schedule more 1 and 1s, simply because of budget in a shortened season. Obviously helps teams like us, but screws low-major schools who rely on buy games to operate.

So I'm not sure if a recommendation to have a 20-game schedule this upcoming season is a product of the current crisis, or if it's just a general business decision.
          The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

The idea was proposed back when it was accounced that UConn was leaving.

Stay at 11 teams and go to a 20 game, round robin, conference schedule.

Also, God help us, if we are still social distancing in November...
            The Assman

Comment

The more conference games you play, the less likely it is that a team like 2020 Tulsa to win the conference.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                Yes.

I'd rather our lower buy-games be replaced with conference games of the bottom teams. Better competition and challenge.

Hopefully, with two less non-con games to worry about, they can get all good opponents. I'd rather lose and be challenged, than win in a blowout.
                Exactly, I would rather see two more games against NET: #168 Tulane or #208 East Carolina, then against #234 Omaha, #276 Texas Southern or #315 Central Arkansas.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                  The more conference games you play, the less likely it is that a team like 2020 Tulsa to win the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                    The idea was proposed back when it was accounced that UConn was leaving.

Stay at 11 teams and go to a 20 game, round robin, conference schedule.

Also, God help us, if we are still social distancing in November...
                    If COVID-19 proves seasonal like most respiratory diseases, it's likely that it will fade over the summer (and social distancing will be relaxed) and then have a second wave the Fall (when social distancing will have to be re-initiated). This is the reality until a vaccine (probably still a year out, at the very least) or an antiviral medication (assuming one is found that works) is discovered.

The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

I want to change my vote to a 20 game conference schedule. Total brain fart on my part.
                      ​​​​
                      Go Shocks!

Comment

I voted yes.

I don't like how the unbalanced schedule allowed Tulsa to claim a share of the conference crown.

I also think Dooley and Hunter are making solid gains at their schools. The bottom was very competitive this year. Now is a good time, IMO.

Comment

I like the idea of a 20 game schedule because it helps build familiarity and rivalries within the league. Not many of the teams in the AAC have history and playing a H&H every year will definitely help in this regard.

Comment

this virus may be what provides the catalyst for a drastic change in division one athletics. my uneducated guess would be that the continued move to 20-game schedules by the conferences would leave only a few non-conference games and the home and home with higher majors would only make sense. i feel bad for the smaller schools, but their budgets are about to dry up. wouldn't surprise me to see the lower 2/3 of conferences forming their own sub-division sooner than later.

have a feeling that the virus is going to have long term implications for smaller member schools.

Comment

I am more of the opinion things will go mostly back to normal after all this. Maybe I am to hopeful.
                              The Assman

Comment

Working...
                              X