No announcement yet.

2011–20: A Decade to Remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that since Fred, GM has been a tough coach on point guards. He was the ultimate point guard and Gregg continues to look fo another Fred. I think that it wore on Landry, Conner, and last year on both of them. None of them were point guards in the mold of Fred. Even Fred thought he was difficult to play for but it's more difficult for someone who isn't truly a point guard.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        Fred was good on set plays but he also dribbled around quite a bit during a 30 second clock, just looking for an opening, just to find one in the last 5 seconds or so. The difference was that he wasn't just dribbling, he was looking for an opening.
        Fred was dribbling trying to find the right angle to get someone else a good shot or because he was confident he could get to rim. If he was going somewhere, he already was looking two steps ahead. Our recent PGs were dribbling to find THEIR shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Fred was dribbling trying to find the right angle to get someone else a good shot or because he was confident he could get to rim. If he was going somewhere, he already was looking two steps ahead. Our recent PGs were dribbling to find THEIR shot.
          I agree with you but I don't think that Burton, or Sherfield would agree. I also would put Conner and to a lesser degree, Landry in that category but I don't think that they were being selfish. They tried to set up others but just didn't have the feel for doing it.

Comment

• I think FVV is somewhat of a basketball *genius* and we are not likely to see someone like him come back around too many times in our lifetimes. Look where he has landed... I doubt there was another place in the NBA that could have utilized his skillset and talent as well as where he is at. I also don't think it was just the luck of the draw either. I think he /chose/ that spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
              I think FVV is somewhat of a basketball *genius* and we are not likely to see someone like him come back around too many times in our lifetimes. Look where he has landed... I doubt there was another place in the NBA that could have utilized his skillset and talent as well as where he is at. I also don't think it was just the luck of the draw either. I think he /chose/ that spot.
              Good points and I agree... Fred chose wisely. The cats out of the bag, Fred can play ANYWHERE!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• He gonna get paid too:

Comment

• Comment

• This isn't just this decade but still a good read.

I laughed at 3 on the biggest busts section. I guess shocker fans weren't the only one who noticed those points. Especially asking the question of "what would the roster look like if he never came here"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                      This isn't just this decade but still a good read.

I laughed at 3 on the biggest busts section. I guess shocker fans weren't the only one who noticed those points. Especially asking the question of "what would the roster look like if he never came here"
                      Dont have Athletic subscription. Cliff Notes?

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Dont have Athletic subscription. Cliff Notes?
                        I think you can download the app and read three articles a month.

Cliff notes are Top 10 recruiting victories and 5 biggest busts. Top 10 has your normal suspects. Two current players in Etienne and Dennis.

Top 5 busts.. #3 is Stevenson. Let cold streaks affect confidence, had no problem voicing displeasure with the coaches. Hints that Stevenson helped drive the mass exodus this year. Last quote for him was " If the Shockers never recruit Stevenson, does the roster look a lot different right now? It’s possible."

Comment

• My only problem is he forgot Armstead and I don't think the final four would have been possible without him... Fred caught up quickly but at that point he was still learning D1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
                            My only problem is he forgot Armstead and I don't think the final four would have been possible without him... Fred caught up quickly but at that point he was still learning D1.
                            Armstead was a transfer not a recruit. Same reason Early isn't on there

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                              Thanks for the highlights. Is it just my imagination, or was there only one highlight of that set from the last 2 years? All of the others were of Shamet or VanVleet making the good pass. Easy to see what a difference it makes when you have a real floor leader out there.

Comment

• So what are the greatest Wichita State’s comebacks over the last decade, using Torvik’s GameScript https://www.barttorvik.com/ +/- stat? The plus-minus stat over the course of the season is one of the better all-in-one stats, it's fairly good for giving a rough idea how good a player performs in his given role on both sides of the ball.

Here’s a list of the top five ... all of which featuring instances where WSU trailed, by at least seven points over the course of its victory.

#5. vs Temple (02/15/18)– Won, 93-86 (+/-, -5)
                                Temple brought a five-game winning streak into the game and was hot in the first half. The Owls were 11 of 15 from the 3-point line while building that 56-42 halftime lead.

#4. at Missouri State (01/11/14) – Won, 72-69 (+/-, -6)
                                The third-largest home crowd in Missouri State history (10,776) roared with approval as Missouri State shot 65 percent in the first half and rolled to a 42-24 halftime lead. Wichita State rallied from a 19-point second-half deficit, knocking off Missouri State 72-69 in overtime on

#3. at Illinois State (02/17/13) – Won, 68-67 (+/-, -6)
                                The Shockers scored the game's final eight points over the last 36 seconds for their only second-half lead.

#2. vs California (11/20/17) – Won, 92-82 (+/-, -7)
                                Wichita State hit the Bears in the opening round of the Maui invitational with a barrage of traps and layups over the final 15 minutes to turn an 18-point deficit into a victory

#1. at SMU (03/01/20) – Won, 66-62 (+/-, -8)
                                Wichita State outscored SMU 40-12 in the final 14 minutes to erase a 24-point deficit en route to perhaps the most improbable comeback in program history. By ESPN’s win probability math, WSU was given a 0.02% chance of winning the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X